Performance issues and cache questions

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Note: System configuration below

Problem:
I have recently copied about 9,000 raw images to the internal G: on my desktop and am almost through the process of rating them using CS6 Bridge. Processing will be next, but should only involve 100-200 images. Then I will delete unneeded images.

A few days ago my system faltered because my C: drive (250 GB SSD) was full. The only real places I could reduce usage was to delete lots of files in the Download folder and reduce the very large cache under:
C:User/Karen/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/BridgeCS6/Cache.

What I have done so far: I deleted files from the Download folder. And I removed all cache items generated this September from the C: drive. Then I created a new Cache folder on my essentially empty 4TB G: drive and referenced this in Bridge. Then I had to re-build the previews for all 9,000 images. (Note: This is the same drive I am using to store and rate the 9,000 new images. Processing the images will also be done on this drive.)

Last night Bridge crashed about 6 times as I was rating about 700 images in one of the folders. But Bridge would work when I re-started Bridge....until it crashed again. Time in-between crashes was about 45 minutes.

The computer always seems to be much slower when generating full size previews.

Questions:
1. Is having the cache and the images on the same drive creating a problem? Should I put the cache on a different drive than where the images are located? (Ugh, because this will mean I will again have to regenerate the previews a third time!)

2. I have cache for most of the 2.2 TB of images (drives E: and J:) in the remaining cache on the C: drive. The next time I open one of those folders, will the PC "find" the cache on the C: since Bridge now references the G: drive? Will new cache be created on the G: drive?

3. Should I keep all the cache together in one place?

4. Other thoughts?

System Configuration:
Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2 GHz, 6 core
Asus P9X79 Deluxe
16 GB ram
nVidia Quadro 4000 2 gb graphics card

Internal drives:
C: 250 GB SSD with 42 gb free out of 223 gb
E: 2 TB with 700 gb free out of 1.8 TB
G: 4 TB with 3.6 TB free (only thing on this drive is the 9,000 and now the cache)
J: 2 TB with 700 GB free out of 1.8 TB

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
The first thing you should do is make far more space available on your C: drive. I recommend you have NO personal data or photos on your C: drive, only Windows and software. I don't see how you can have only 42GB free if you follow this recommendation. You should have over 100GB free.

I don't use Bridge so I can't comment on that. It has always struck me as slow and clunky and I can't see why one needs to build preview files at all. What I would do is use a simple and fast program to do the huge selection exercise - something that would be 10 times faster than Bridge. For example Faststone Viewer. Some pros use Photo Mechanic, but you have to buy it.

Then once you have got it down to a sensible number, you can use your normal workflow with Bridge.

I hope these suggestions help.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Thanks, Richard. The LR catalog which is about 20 GB is on the C: in addition to the OS and apps. No personal data or images.

Under Doc and settings/Karen:
....there is about 85 GB. Downloads is 9 GB. Music is 5 GB.

....Under /Karen/AppData/local is 27 gb and appears to be files of cache
....Under /Karen/AppData/roaming is another 27 gb of cache for Bridge

.....Desktop is 7 GB. There is a 3.2 GB file "X17-59186.iso" dated 6/17/2012 .... appears to be an imaging file from when the computer was built. I supposed I can delete this file?

...Also under Desktop is a 4.4 GB Adobe folder with copies of LR 5.4, 5.5, 5.6, 5.7 and 6.0!!!!!! I assume I can delete this entire folder?

I used Faststone during the trip to do a quick peek at a few images and copy images from the CF card to a portable HD.

However, I much prefer using one s/w package to evaluate my raws. I sometimes need to process a large number of raws in order to determine which images to keep. Often, a 100% preview of the "eye" will determine which image is sharpest. Once sorting is finished, I no longer need the 100% previews...and of course, there are many images where 100% previews are not needed.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Move the music and the downloads (these ARE personal data). Move the ISO file to a normal drive in case you need it one day. You can delete the old Adobe versions if you are not using them.

I would move the caches to another drive. After doing all that you should have a C: drive which has plenty of space. You want C: to be free to provide a first class Windows and software service to you.

If for performance reasons you want your caches on SSD then add another 256GB SSD for that purpose.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Thanks, Richard. I DO have an empty internal HD bay.....

My thought on the ISO drive was that I have more recent ones made with Acronis...and more recently Bart.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
The ISO file and Music are now off the C: drive. Now I need to learn more about cache and why the Desktop folder has all those versions of LR! LOL!

Appreciate the help, Richard.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
One more question.....any reason to keep app files in the Download folder once they have been installed? If I decide to keep any app downloads, can I move the Downloads folder off the C: drive to a different internal HD?

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
One more question.....any reason to keep app files in the Download folder once they have been installed? If I decide to keep any app downloads, can I move the Downloads folder off the C: drive to a different internal HD?

Don't move the Downloads folder. Moving operating system folders is never a good idea.

I always empty the Downloads folder. For example if I have downloaded some software I move the files to D:\Software library\Name of software

Don't move the Downloads folder. Moving operating system folders is never a good idea.

I always empty the Downloads folder. For example if I have downloaded some software I move the files to D:\Software library\Name of software

+1 The downloads folder can grow to an immense size over time unless you clean it regularly.

Rich

Latest threads

Top Bottom