perhaps a stupid question...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kerry Pierce, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    I've often wondered why people use an alias, rather than their real names, when participating in an online forum.

I understand why juveniles do it, but I don't understand why adults do.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on why you do or don't use an alias.

2. Fewer letters.
    Don't want be coming up on searches unless I want.
    It's fun.
    Sometimes it says something about you or your personality.

3. jaleel

jaleel

Apr 3, 2007
    Toronto, Canada
    sometimes stalkers can be a problem
    [​IMG]

4. Good question

In my line of work, the last thing I want if to be "googled" by a potential client. I'd rather keep a low online profile.

I used my full real name in the past up to a year ago I still used it and by googling it now I still get approximately 16,500 results, scary if you ask me.

In this day and age I find it important to keep the anonymity now, specially after having had a stalker (I kid you not...:Shocked: )

Using my real full name was a mistake I will not ever repeat on an online forum but then again I used to spend more time online :rolleyes:

5. That can be a legitimate concern. I use my real name on all the different photo forums I belong to. I don't care what people find out about me. There is not that much that is interesting about me.:smile:

There is one political forum that I belong to that I would never, ever use my real name because some of the people that post there are quite insane and dangerous.:biggrin: But that is what makes that particular forum so much fun.

6. RexRoy

RexRoy

Jan 4, 2006
    New York
    anonymity is bliss. :biggrin: :wink: :rolleyes:

7. JennJenn

JennJenn Guest

hehehe!

8. Come on out from behind that camera Jenn and show ya face !!!

9. I rest my case... but HEY!!! I'm still 16 years old :biggrin:

10. Is that Euro years Panos??

11. Nah... just terrible mnemonic... :biggrin:

12. Pete

Pete

Jun 10, 2006
    Denver, CO
    It is often difficult on most sites to get your real name. I prefer not to have my full name or email address visible when I do not know who can see it. Still getting spam from when Ebay made us use the email address. If I were to do an equipment sale or other dealing with a Cafe member, I would expect to exchange all information.

13. zack baldwin

zack baldwin

Apr 30, 2007
    NC
    I think in a forum like this and in certain other forums it is important that you gain a relationship. Just because someone knows your name doesnt mean that they will stalk you...also, most people share their full names with at least a couple others in the world. :) plus, how does anybody even know if thats your real name anyway??lol

14. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    Thanks to all those sharing your thoughts on the topic. :smile:

15. I began my On-Line dealings almost 40 years ago, when every character used cost money, connections were slow, and we were all a bunch of Nerdy Geeks, Normal Folks were Not Allowed :wink:. So we picked up "handles", many from strange places, as is mine. It has been "me" online for that long, and yes, I still converse with folks from that long ago. Just one more to add to the list of "why's". To which I would add, Why Not?

16. diferent forums = different logon id and a headache remembering all the ID/password combinations.

This is one of the few where my real name appears.

It seems to be the closer I get to home, the more obscur my id becomes.

17. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    Well, nerds are expected and excepted. :tongue:

But, you sign your full name and your name is in web site link. That's a rather "Normal Folks" thing to do. :smile:

18. Lo these many moons ago I participated in various Usenet groups and there the "norm" was to develop an anonymous user name. I've been "Clix Pix" so long it feels like my identity! When I signed up with the Cafe, of course I put forth that familiar moniker and was surprised to see so many others using their actual real names. I was startled when someone gently advised me to put my real name in my sig file, which I dutifully did. As I became more familiar with the Cafe and how we do things here I understood. However, there are still many other sites on the internet where anonymity rules and very few people use their actual real names....

19. No Kidding, here is Connie's car :smile: :smile: (taken at the recent Cafe Get Together in Huntsville, AL):

original.

20. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Frits....you stalking Connie? :)