Perils of too many birthdays

For several years I have used a Nikon ML-L3 infrared remote for triggering my cameras on a tripod. About two years ago, I misplaced it. I was confident it would show up, but when I hadn't found it after a couple of weeks, I ordered a replacement. Of course, the lost one soon reappeared. But I decided it was nice having a backup, so I put the new one in my camera bag and continued using the old one. :smile:

About a month ago, the original one disappeared again. :frown: Again, I was sure it would show up, so I just pressed my backup into service and stopped worrying. But a nagging thought about not having a backup kept eating at me, so I bought another and put it in the camera bag.

Yup, you guessed it. My wife just found the original one. Now I have three. :redface:

Real Name
Ralph
For several years I have used a Nikon ML-L3 infrared remote for triggering my cameras on a tripod. About two years ago, I misplaced it. I was confident it would show up, but when I hadn't found it after a couple of weeks, I ordered a replacement. Of course, the lost one soon reappeared. But I decided it was nice having a backup, so I put the new one in my camera bag and continued using the old one. :smile:

About a month ago, the original one disappeared again. :frown: Again, I was sure it would show up, so I just pressed my backup into service and stopped worrying. But a nagging thought about not having a backup kept eating at me, so I bought another and put it in the camera bag.

Yup, you guessed it. My wife just found the original one. Now I have three. :redface:
Happens to me all the time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for your commiserations, folks. Good to know I'm not the only one.

My older brother once asked a cousin about his age what he's been doing lately. His response was "Ralph, I spend most of each day looking for what I misplaced the day before". :biggrin:

I have the same problem. Greg lost his Kindle over a year ago. We never did replace it, but we were certain it was gone forever. Well, we found it a couple of days ago. I don't know how it could have gone unnoticed. Our house is just too big for two people with failing memories.

Yeah, I keep doing that with my 200mm F/2.

:biggrin: :wink: Just kidding! I wish I had one. I know the feeling, though, I've been misplacing things left and right lately, and I'm young! It's only going to get worse.

I'm sure some of you suffer the "hereafter" (Dossy) as well - my solution is to go back wherever I was so I can remember what to look for! At least I get more exercise that way.

At last count I have:

- 6 utility knives
- 5 claw hammers
- about 5 copies of each size standard and metric hex wrench
- 4 oil filter wrenches
- 10 (yes, 10) pair of scissors
- an untold number of sharpies and highlighters (I wonder how many are still usable and how many are dried out?)
- and, in the spirit of your example, 4 EN-EL3e batteries. Like you, I kept buying and losing backups.

I could continue but I get tired thinking about it.

Well while I have all of the afore mentioned problems, I believe there is a lot we do not know in this old world, and inanimate objects just might have a mind of their own, and they are very mischievous, somehow they link to other objects and they relish in relating to each other, how they have tormented their owners.

Jan and I defeat this evil gamesmanship, by stopping looking for the thing. Objects are subject to boredom also, and eventually come out of hiding in short order.
I do find Neekon gear to be very stubborn at this game, and once had a SB 800 hide for an entire year, in a winter coat pocket.
So you see, it is not entirely our fault.

Well while I have all of the afore mentioned problems, I believe there is a lot we do not know in this old world, and inanimate objects just might have a mind of their own, and they are very mischievous, somehow they link to other objects and they relish in relating to each other, how they have tormented their owners.

Jan and I defeat this evil gamesmanship, by stopping looking for the thing. Objects are subject to boredom also, and eventually come out of hiding in short order.
I do find Neekon gear to be very stubborn at this game, and once had a SB 800 hide for an entire year, in a winter coat pocket.
So you see, it is not entirely our fault.
I am convinced that the coat hangers in our closets are breeding.

Certainly on a different level than camera equipment, but I recently lost my favorite and only pair of sun glasses. I have a routine with things like that, and never break the routine, however I could not turn them up anywhere. I even went thru every pocket of everything as I threw the clothes into the washing machine, then went into town and bought another pair while the wash was running. What do you think was the first thing I saw when I opened the washing machine lid? You guessed it. My favorite pair of sunglasses were clean and laying right on top of all the clothes. Oldsheimers. :redface:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
...and once had a SB 800 hide for an entire year, in a winter coat pocket...
I even went thru every pocket of everything as I threw the clothes into the washing machine, then went into town and bought another pair while the wash was running. What do you think was the first thing I saw when I opened the washing machine lid? You guessed it. My favorite pair of sunglasses were clean and laying right on top of all the clothes. Oldsheimers. :redface:
In the case of the missing ML-L3, I was sure it would be in the pocket of something I was wearing on the last day I remembered using it, so I had gone through all pockets multiple times to no avail.

It showed up on the floor under the hangers in our closet. :rolleyes:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom