Perseid Meteor Shower, Jupiter and Saturn

Real Name
Andy
I've been spending many evenings stargazing these past few weeks. Mostly visual astronomy, which is quite enjoyable, as the experience is enhanced by the knowledge that it is only in the moment. One exception was the night the annual Perseid meteor shower was supposed to peak. For that evening, I did get the cameras out for some imaging.

1. Even looking North (away from the brightest city lights that lie south of me) the hazy sky yielded only about 15 meteors per hour to the naked eye. The camera caught perhaps two for every one that I saw, but their trails were very faint. My daughter in Wisconsin reported distinctly seeing much more than that in the relatively dark skies outside of Oshkosh. For this South Florida image, I had the camera on an equatorial mount for about forty 30-second exposures. Three light frames of the sky and a mask for the foreground trees were composited in PhotoShop. No darks or flats were used as I was more interested in just enjoying the event.
Perseids_21D_5998-Edit-Edit.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Meanwhile, I was also admiring Jupiter and Saturn in the southern sky. Now I know that there are planetary astrophotographers out there that capture hundreds if not thousands of frames for what is known as "lucky imaging." Only a fraction of the captures from a session (say, the best 20 or 30%) are stacked in post for really nice final images. Again, I did none of those things, and mostly kept the eyepiece rather than the camera mounted to the telescope.

Jupiter_Saturn_21D_6315.jpg
Jupiter_Saturn_21D_6364.jpg

Last edited:

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
I tend to go outside more now with my 16 power fujinons, or 10 power Nikon EDG than my camera gear. I even rarely use my 8” Dob.

Something about visual strikes my fancy, and being lazy with gear, lol.

Planets are hard to do - normally they are done by taking a video as they move around so much (atmosphere distortion). These are a pretty good start!!

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom