Perspective crushed ...

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Boobie Joe, May 11, 2005.

1. I am always surprised to see how the perspective plays an optical illusion in some pictures.

THe portion of the image you are looking at is at least 200feet long and yet, looks to be much shorter from the POV.

I did use a Singh Ray Blue/Gold polarizer and a Singh Ray Circ polarizer coupled together to get the colors and the slower shutter speed.

Also did a final WB correction in Nikon Capture.

original.

2. Hey Yves... long long time no hear from up north... and whattanincreadible come back!!! :shock:

3. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    very nice indeed. thanks

4. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Yves :

You shot with both the Blue/Gold and the CP ? Interesting. I've actually noticed you mentioning this before, but I didn't really consider the combination and think about it. I need to make some attempts with this.

BTW, you were the immediate cause of my getting that hideously expensive B/G polariser from Singh-Ray last year after I saw some other bridge shots of yours. And the only thing I only have to say about that expensive decision is... "Thank You". :D

It's been a welcome addition to my package, and even gets used in some industrial shooting I'm doing, for example, a refinery this week.

Now I have to do some tests with both polarisers.

John P.

5. The trick is the following:

Insert both filters in the filter holder, and only rotate the Circ pol ...

6. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Yves :

Ha ! Thanks for the useful advice. That's probably saved me hours of tinkering.

And one of these years, I'll be back in Montreal area and maybe shoot around some of the same spots as you. Interestingly, I spent months in Montreal on assignment a bit back, but I was so busy I couldn't shoot (film in those days) anywhere near as much as I'd have liked. Great city.

Thanks again for the "trick".

John P.

7. Extremely creative and beautiful l image..But then ....your history shows that we come to expect this from your work ....Some of us are light years away from your talent but through your postings are inspired to learn and try harder -

Thanks again

Bohdan

8. You are too kind Bohdan

9. jkamphof

jkamphof Guest

Wonderful shot. I do love the colours that the filters provide, good ideas for future images.

10. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    That's an incredible shot, Yves!

Love the suble shadings, the logs, and of course, thecreamy smooth water. And, I do see how the perspective is crushed using a long lens. Hard to believe that's really 200ft!

Someone on DPR mentioned using a really long lens, 200-300mm for this new girl's portraits to flatten the appearance of her nose. To tell you the truth, I never notice anything out of the ordinary with her nose, until they mentioned it. Wouldn't work indoors due to lack of shooting space, but sure would outdoors.

11. Re: That's an incredible shot, Yves!

Hi Steven, to be honnest, I rarely use a 300mm lens for portraits except when I do not want to get caught doing it ... :twisted:

I do use a lot of 200mm but you need tons of DOF and a closed down aperture to get the whole head in focus. something to consideder even at a distance and in outsdoor situation.

12. Wow ! Yves, what a colourful show !
    I'm about to go for a Blue/Gold polar.
    It's amazing to notice the effect of the polarizer on the mist.

13. This is an amazing image Yves and your right it does look a lot shorter than 200 feet. Very colorful the way the light plays on the water. Well done my friend.

14. Thx to all the comments people.

I have read and appreciated all of them.

15. Wow, that picture sure is amazing. Very inspiring.

16. Thx Neeper.