Peru: Cusco, Sacred Valley, and Machu Picchu II

Picking up from Part I, next day we took a short ride to the town of Ollantaytombo where there is an old Inca fortress.

#1 A wind-shaped tree hovers over part of the ruin:

1194945432_cR8GC-O.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#2 Fountain carved from rock with bronze tools:

1194945429_BmvZj-O.jpg

#3 Our guide, Ernesto, demonstrates use of the Inca slingshot used to defeat the Spanish in a few battles. In his hands, it is a fearsome weapon!

1194945369_x8tAz-O.jpg

#4 Doorway to the plaza:

1194945368_Mhe45-O.jpg

#5 Mrs. T. provides scale for the huge stones the Inca workmen moved from the mountainside on the far side of the valley:

1194945320_KP3fW-O.jpg

#6 The Inca engineers even understood thermal expansion joints:

1194945317_oeaEt-O.jpg

#7 After return to Sol & Luna Lodge, we were feasted at an outdoor barbecue followed by a precision riding demonstration by costumed Peruvian horsemen:

1194945260_9ZT4m-O.jpg

#8 and #9 A dancer joined the group to perform with one of the horses:

1194945259_9EVxX-O.jpg

1197591000_q9HwP-O.jpg

#10 Very large hummingbirds cruised the grounds of Sol & Luna:

1194945126_J6thX-O.jpg

#11 One more view of Sol & Luna Resort:

1211042051_N3bXy-O.jpg

#12 After dinner, an interpretation of Inca legend was presented by elaborately costumed dancers, some of whom were on stilts. Fortunately iso6400 allowed me to capture some of the action in the dark.

1211045744_tfp5p-O.jpg

#13 Next morning we drove back to Ollantaytambo and boarded the train to Machu Picchu.

1195962821_Ehf8Q-O.jpg

#14 The tracks parallel the muddy Urubamba River, which was swollen by recent rains:

1196033747_Q6aZ6-O.jpg

#15 First view of Machu Picchu in a light rain:

1196033585_ioQFV-O.jpg

Next: full day at Machu Picchu (and some sunshine!).

Last edited by a moderator:

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
These are breathtaking, Jim. #1 is simply outstanding, and the rest of your images are just splendid. Thank you for taking us on your tour!!

This series has been quite a pleasure to look through! :smile: Beth is looking great, hasn't aged a day since last I saw her. :biggrin:

Amazing place. Cant wait to visit.
Thanks for sharing.

My pleasure, Dean. It should be high on your travel list.

These are breathtaking, Jim. #1 is simply outstanding, and the rest of your images are just splendid. Thank you for taking us on your tour!!

Many thanks, Lyndee.

Jim, thanks for sharing these. Beautiful pictures and very interesting to see.

My pleasure, Rob. Glad you enjoyed them.

This series has been quite a pleasure to look through! :smile: Beth is looking great, hasn't aged a day since last I saw her. :biggrin:

Absolutely, Gretchen, and neither have you, I'm sure. :biggrin:

Excellent! Thanks for bringing us along!

Thanks, Steve.

Quick question for you. You said you took the train to Machu Picchu. How close does it actually get and how do you get there from the train? OK, that was two questions.

My wif and I accompanied Jim and Beth on this trip. Peru was a wonderful place! The train takes you to the town of Aguas Caliente (Hot Water in Spanish due to some hot springs in the area) which is pretty much a tourist town that provides hotels and restaurants for the the tourists that visit Machu Picchu. From Aguas Caliente, you take a shuttle bus up to the ruins. The ride takes about 30 minutes and drops you off in front of the Orient Express Machu Picchu Sanctuary Lodge. From there, it's only about 200 feet to the park's entrance. If you visit Machu Picchu, you want to stay at the Sanctuary Lodge, not in the town of Aguas Caliente. That way you can just roll out of bed in time for the park's 6am opening time. The Lodge's restaurant is open for breakfast at 5am. All of your meals and drinks (including wine and beer) are included in the Lodge's room rates. I guarantee you won't be disappointed with the Lodge's accomodations.

Jim, I hope you don't mind me answering SLRShooter's questions as I noticed you were out of touch until next week.....

mike

Oh, you are making me want to go there.....

You should!

Quick question for you. You said you took the train to Machu Picchu. How close does it actually get and how do you get there from the train? OK, that was two questions.

I believe Mike answered your question already. If not, please say so.

Felt like I was on the trip wtih you, superb set.

Thanks, Louis.
My wif and I accompanied Jim and Beth on this trip. Peru was a wonderful place! The train takes you to the town of Aguas Caliente (Hot Water in Spanish due to some hot springs in the area) which is pretty much a tourist town that provides hotels and restaurants for the the tourists that visit Machu Picchu. From Aguas Caliente, you take a shuttle bus up to the ruins. The ride takes about 30 minutes and drops you off in front of the Orient Express Machu Picchu Sanctuary Lodge. From there, it's only about 200 feet to the park's entrance. If you visit Machu Picchu, you want to stay at the Sanctuary Lodge, not in the town of Aguas Caliente. That way you can just roll out of bed in time for the park's 6am opening time. The Lodge's restaurant is open for breakfast at 5am. All of your meals and drinks (including wine and beer) are included in the Lodge's room rates. I guarantee you won't be disappointed with the Lodge's accomodations.

Jim, I hope you don't mind me answering SLRShooter's questions as I noticed you were out of touch until next week.....

mike

Thanks for chiming in, Mike.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom