Pete Field Airshow...

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by Seymore, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Seymore

Seymore Guest

The DW and I departed Colorado Springs the end of June... So this is one of the last major photo-ops I had while there.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -​

Aircraft and people were plenty at the airshow today... (Saturday - 060405)

Where to start? Well, since 911, security has been the tightest I've EVER seen...

[​IMG]

But these guys weren't shy... They actually wanted to pose for this shot!
    [​IMG]

Click on PIC for People Album

While we waited for the T-Birds (2-3pm), there was a B25 flying...

[​IMG]

What a ride!!!
    [​IMG]

Click on PIC for B25 Album

Then a P51 and F15 flew in formation...

[​IMG]

No joke... It was really impressive!!!
    [​IMG]

Click on PIC for P51/F15 Album

@ 2pm, (it was really windy, and getting quite cold at this point...) the ThunderBirds fired up...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What these boys can do will make you wonder if they're really sane...
    [​IMG]

Sometimes they were hard to see against the back drop... But, what a back drop!!!
    [​IMG]

Click on PIC for T-Bird Album

I've been going to military and commercial airshows since I can remember. Traveling with my military family, it was a way of life... and a right of passage...

.​

2. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Nice shots for a gloomy day...
    Man that brings back memories of the 4 months I lived out in Colorado Springs back in 74'.
    I would go out the airport and watch the fighter jets take off in amazement.
    I was really into photography at the time (and went there to work for a photography company) but didn't have long lens so trying to photograph them wasn't something I did.
    I would love to go back now with the gear I have.. Talk about a wonderful place to visit or live.

3. Seymore

Seymore Guest

Glad to have brought back some memories for ya. But, you wouldn't know it today! 350k in the city! Academy is 6 lanes from tip to tail. And, if Powers Blvd existed back then, it was prob just a dirt road.

Yea, it was quite a gloomy day. But, I was happy with what I shot. Did quite a bit of post processing due to lighting changes, that happened on a regular basis.

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Nice variety of images, Seymore. Your skies may not have been ideal but you made the best of it. I like the image of the old bomber...just beautiful.

5. You have some very nice images here. I too have been to air shows in Colorado when I lived there.

6. Seymore

Seymore Guest

Thanks guys... Yep, I had a really good day there. I hope to make more air shows, in Washington State, as time allows.

7. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Do they still sell the bumper stickers that say I survived a drive on Academy Blvd.?
    I had one!!
    Don't remember a powers blvd. when I was there.
    I remember getting some great shoots at the Garden of the Gods...

8. Seymore

Seymore Guest

Not that I'm aware of. But I do remember seeing a few stickers while I was there.

Powers is another N-S road, parallel to Academy. It's about 1-1.5 miles east and ties into I-25 @ the AFA in the north, and I-25 @ Fountain in the south. It's also 6 lanes. Many changes since you've been there. You wouldn't know it today.