1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Peter Lik Called Out by Photographers Over ‘Faked’ Moon Photo

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rick_reno, Feb 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. This just goes to prove the power of marketing...

Glenn

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. It's still a pretty cool image. Maybe master photoshopper is what they meant to say.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I wonder if he actually does that himself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I walked through his gallery in Lahaina, HI a couple of years ago. There were some very impressive large prints there, but they all screamed "PHOTOSHOP" to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. TonyW

TonyW

Jan 15, 2010
    UK
    And the power of masking ;) 

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. West

West

Jan 2, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    These days a photographic capture seems secondary to PP skills.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Photographic capture is now called "gathering pixels" for later processing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. West

West

Jan 2, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    True that. Personally I don't mind it, it's evolutionary.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Humm, clouds in back of the moon?? I don't think so.

• Like Like x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  11. gryphon1911

gryphon1911

Mar 20, 2017
    Central Ohio
    Andrew
    It's funny how these arguments ribbing use of photoshop cycle around...people were doing this same thing before photoshop. Too much wasted energy one something that is really a non-issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. johncarol

johncarol

Jan 31, 2006
    SW Florida
    I think full disclosure is needed, art yes, photography not so much. Hard to get 24,000 miles of DOF. But then he is probably laughing all the way to the bank.

OOPS correction 238,900 mi of DOF :)  Oh, and that is an average. Thanks Pa

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  13. I like that one. :) 

14. If I ever opened up a photo studio to sell images, I would never lie about which of my images are digital art and which are natural images. I guess that's why I'm poor.

15. I have altered my photographs in Photoshop on rare occasions...specifically to add or move a Moon for better composition. But, I always disclose when I do something like that. Edits such as adjusting contrast, reducing noise, cropping, sharpening don't require disclosure in my opinion. But, when you are adding key elements to an image, I think one should disclose it.

In a similar manner, I believe photographers should disclose when they photograph a captive animal. I don't try to pretend that the images that I capture at the zoo were taken in the wild.

Glenn

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. If I move an element for better composition I may not disclose it if I move it just a bit. I do agree with everything else you write.

17. I have no problem with the use of PS as long as it's admitted. But apparently Lik claims it was a single exposure.

That's 240,000, but as Nick says, what's a few zeros between friends. ;) 

18. Doesn't sound like Peter Lik is a friend of mine!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.