Peter Lik - No Lens Protection?

Anyone catch the latest episode of the Weather Channel's "From the Edge with Peter Lik"? This episode took place in Arches and Canyonlands NP's and in the Glen Canyon Wildlife Area.

He was on his way to shoot Stevens Arch. The hike was quite long so he traveled light. After getting to the area of the arch, he wanted to get to a closer and lower location. It required that he lower his backpack (filled with equipment) by rope and then make his own way down thru a fissure in the rock.

Well, when he finally arrived at THE spot, he found that his lens was shattered - probably by the lowering of the backpack. To make matters worse, that was the only lens he had with him! Crikey, Mate! :frown: (He was traveling REALLY light.) It happens to the best of 'em, I guess.

Now, if he only were a member of the Cafe, he would have known to either use a lens hood or a filter to protect his lens! :biggrin:

(Not trying to re-ignite the ancient debate. I just thought it was interesting that it happened to him and that the segment didn't end up on the cutting room floor. When I saw it, the first thing I thought of was the frequent debates here regarding lens protection.)

I first heard of him on an episode of Pawn Stars, where someone sold a Lik photo, apparently a panorama, of a beach scene, for what seemed to me to be an absurd amount of money. Evidently his prints - and they're not in small editions either - can command $20,000.

He's good, but is he that good?

Aside from allowing his one and only lens to be smashed on an outing. Well, he can afford to have a replacement flown in to him on a helicopter.

<snip>
(Not trying to re-ignite the ancient debate. I just thought it was interesting that it happened to him and that the segment didn't end up on the cutting room floor. When I saw it, the first thing I thought of was the frequent debates here regarding lens protection.)
Camera people debating protective filter/ no filter is almost as bad as the gun crowd and the 9mm vs .45 cal debate, or the beans/ no beans in chile debate. :biggrin:

He had a camera crew following him to make the TV show, right? They couldn't have crammed another lens or two in one of their bags?

He had a camera crew following him to make the TV show, right? They couldn't have crammed another lens or two in one of their bags?
Ha! Good Point.

I'd like to know how the TV camera crew made it thru that fissure! He had to squeeze thru sideways in spots. I doubt that I could have made it thru with my waistline! :tongue:

He's probably traveled like that dozens, or even hundreds of times, and gotten away with it. Most of the time he wins. Once in a while he loses. Big deal...that's life.

He's probably traveled like that dozens, or even hundreds of times, and gotten away with it. Most of the time he wins. Once in a while he loses. Big deal...that's life.
Right, if he was truly out there on his own and taking pictures for his own enjoyment. But he's got a camera crew that most certainly did not fit through those tight spaces. And he's making a TV show. Is it really too much to ask to have some spare copies of lenses laying around?

I've been to his gallery in Vegas. He has some very nice images there. I was excited when I heard about this show. I've seen I think 3 episodes or so already. To me they're kind of a let down. I was hoping to see him work from a photography angle. But they waste almost all their time kibitzing about stuff that doesn't matter. I don't want to hear about altitude sickness. I don't want to hear him jammer on while driving in a jeep. We all know about flash floods in canyons.

I was hoping to get to hear him talk about what's going on in his head while he's getting the shot. Talk about the gear. His settings. And to be fair, he does talk about that too, but he spends maybe 30 secs on that. The rest of the show is totally filler. Cut all the drama out about the journey and get us to the spot already, and get to the business end of the thing. I don't need to see each foot step he takes getting to wherever he's going.

I think marketing is the key word here. Most of the viewers aren't probably into photography, so they have to make it more action-oriented instead

TV/Film crews are instructed to record, not participate or interfere, either positively or negatively.

Yes, they COULD, but it would compromise the integrity and legitimacy of the show.

Just a thought on why they may not have helped him out.

Stupid pill.

Wrap up equipment in spare or wet weather clothing.

He must have dropped the pack, rope or not.

Who doesn't put beans in their chili?
What!!? :eek: "Not sure if serious"

For the lens to be "shattered"... I'm thinking the pack was dropped. Or swung pretty hard a against the rock face. In which case I don't think a protective filter would have helped...

Traveling light has some disadvantages, like less protection for gear... Also over time, traveling light in back-country where nothing bad usually happens can breed complacency/ over confidence, and then BAM! Oops...

I think marketing is the key word here. Most of the viewers aren't probably into photography, so they have to make it more action-oriented instead
Agree. I think a nature photog show aimed at people like us would probably bore most viewers to tears.

Still, I enjoy seeing the places he's visiting in HD. I've been to southern Utah, and am all but certain to go again, but I don't know that I will ever make it to Mauna Kea, for example.

About the shattered lens... if he was travelling light, with only the one body and lens, then WTH was in that giant pack he was lugging around?? Rain shell and fleece doesn't take up THAT much space.

Camera people debating protective filter/ no filter is almost as bad as the gun crowd and the 9mm vs .45 cal debate, or the beans/ no beans in chile debate. :biggrin:
I can't comment on this filter thing, but I'll tell you if chile doesn't have beans it aint chile!!!:biggrin:

TV/Film crews are instructed to record, not participate or interfere, either positively or negatively.

Yes, they COULD, but it would compromise the integrity and legitimacy of the show.

Just a thought on why they may not have helped him out.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
"Integrity and legitimacy of the show"
That's a good one!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
"Integrity and legitimacy of the show"
That's a good one!
:m41:
Well my cousin is a free lance videogrpher who shoots for the History Channel quite often. Everytime one of these shows come on he says what about the video/sound guys? They carry twice the equipment to get the shots. I only caught one part of the last one I think and it seemed the video guy was getting the great shots. I wasnt looking to see the show as to me it is pure hype, I was hoping to catch my local on the 8s to see if this blasted wind was going to end soon. Im sorry but I dont see why he is getting $20K for his shots because I have seen much better on here.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom