Critique Petrified Sand Dunes

I captured this image of the Petrified Sand Dunes of Arches National Park, Utah in 2011. Yesterday, I reprocessed the original raw file.

p596972911.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

D700, 70-200 2.8 VR

Thanks for looking...
Glenn

Nice capture, Glenn. Technically perfect. A nit pic for me would be to place a foreground object (say a yucca plant or interesting rock) for better context. That would help break the photo into three vs two subjects.

Nice capture, Glenn. Technically perfect. A nit pic for me would be to place a foreground object (say a yucca plant or interesting rock) for better context. That would help break the photo into three vs two subjects.

Thanks Brad...and I appreciate the feedback.

In this case, I used a 200mm lens to compress the landscape...as the sand dunes were distant. If I had added a foreground object, the sand dunes would have become much smaller. However, if I had an opportunity to get closer to the sand dunes, I agree that adding a foreground object would bring more of a three dimensional feel to the image. Overall, I think your suggestion would strengthen the image overall.

Thanks again,
Glenn

The image does stand up well, in that my eye travels from the base to the top. Foreground isn't always possible as was the case here.

I'm a huge fan of your work, Glenn.

Amazing shot Glenn. As ccroy said, the contrast is breathtaking. You could try a 50-50 crop instead of a 60-40 now between the sand dunes and the blue hills.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
In regards to the comments above, if there are two main areas of interest without a strong foreground subject, I like to use a 2:1 ratio crop for scapes such as this. Gives it an added dimension of width. Great note to folks to always revisit work from the past. I just did that with some recent bird shots and night sky shots. Always good to try new post work.

Very nice image, well done.

The image does stand up well, in that my eye travels from the base to the top. Foreground isn't always possible as was the case here.

I'm a huge fan of your work, Glenn.

Thanks Brad...your point is a good one and well taken none the less. I appreciate your kind words.

I like it!

Thank you, Alex

Splendid contrast Glenn.

Thanks CC

In regards to the comments above, if there are two main areas of interest without a strong foreground subject, I like to use a 2:1 ratio crop for scapes such as this. Gives it an added dimension of width. Great note to folks to always revisit work from the past. I just did that with some recent bird shots and night sky shots. Always good to try new post work.

Very nice image, well done.

Thanks Wade...and an interesting point about the 2:1 ratio crop.

Glenn

Latest threads

Top Bottom