Pets portraits (3 candids)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Philippe Roger, Aug 14, 2005.

1. While looking for inspiration for the current challenge, I took a few pics of our menagerie. Here they are, minus one black and white kitty, who would have none of it...

Here is Belle. D70 + 35mm f/2 prime, at ISO 800, f/2.5 1/100s (hand-held with just one hand, while playing with a tennis ball in the other! ;-) I like that very lightweight combination! :p)
    [​IMG]

This is Spike. D2H + 70-200 at ISO 200, f/4.5, 1/200s, 200mm
    [​IMG]

K.C. (a.k.a. "Kitty Cat"), D70 with 17-55 + close up lens, ISO 640, f/2.8 1/20s, 55mm
    [​IMG]

2. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    That is quite a menagerie, Philipe! Nice shots!

3. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    Partial to cats myself...is that an Abby in the secoind shot? Almost got one. I've heard they are very loving and attach themselves to you with a vengence.

Oh yeah, the dog is cute also.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Philippe, you have a virtual menagerie. :lol:

The tabby looks a lot like our Pumpkin. She is a real sweetie.

Nice pics BTW. :wink:

5. Great pics Philippe, luv what you have done in capturing number 1, very creative and neat capture!!

6. Thanks guys.

Yes, it is a menagerie alright, Don, but everybody gets along fine actually, surprisingly so! :roll: ;-)

Greg, you are right. Spike is a ruddy Abbyssinian (black overcoat). He's the most amazing cat that I or my wife (the real cat person from way back, I am "just" a more recent convert) have ever seen, from his physical abilities, almost like a mini-mountain lion, to his temperment and disposition: very smart and loving. He is very different than his brother Pinky, who was a red Abby, and just passed away from FIP. Pinky was also very endearing, a little goofy in fact, and nowhere as athletic as Spike is. We miss him so...

Frank, I have seen some shots you posted of Pumpkin, and yes they look very much alike. K.C. is a sweetie in her own right: she's short legged and a little plump, and so very funny, with her little voice. This is one of two feral kittens we took in and raised. The other, B(lack) J(ack) is very shy... and camera shy.

Keith, there is no way I could have captured that pic of Belle with the big D2H and say, the 17-55!... I am pretty pleased how it turned out.

7. Got a Maintenance In Progress sign instead of images, will check back later.

8. JamesMor

JamesMor

Jun 28, 2005
    New York
    I really like the dog photograph. I am a sucker for cats (I am bordering on becoming a hoarder (sp)) so it is needless to say that I like them too. :)

-JM

9. Hi James,

Coming from a pet photographer (yourself), I take this compliment with pride. Is there really a business to be had by doing this? It seems like everyone has a digicam nowadays and think that they can take great portraits of their own animals... which is mostly true, to some extent. :shock: :roll: ;-)