Phew its been awhile and getting "back in the game!" Advice needed on new camera body

Hope all is well with everyone. I used to be into photography quite a bit and life/work/kids has kept me busy. Looking to get back into my old hobby I enjoyed and put down the phone for photos and use some more of the features my camera offers over them. I have a D7000 and some good lenses (seen in my signature) and now have been looking at a few new options. I would say with kids getting a little older and more active (4 and 6 years old) I would like to take the camera out more often and capture more photos of them, along withe landscapes/street photography when out and about. One thing that I found difficult with kids was hauling around my D7000 and potentially 17-55mm lens which I loved but it was heavy. I was pondering and considering the following.......

1. A D7500 to upgrade my D7000. I am not sure if this gives me much of an advantage for photos of the kids at sporting events, etc when I am standing and the weight etc is not an issues. Is it worth the upgrade in camera body or am I not getting much more than I am already getting with my D7000. I figured if going to one of their activities the D7000 and 70-200mm gives me all I need and the weight isn't bad when sitting/standing and watching them and wonder if the $1000 or so for a new D7500 body gives me much more than I already have with the D7000.

2. Z50. This I thought may be a better choice as it gives me a "different" option than I currently have as when paired with the 16-50mm kit lens I really have a nice compact option and getting something different than my current setup and something much more compact and lighter to take around with me day to day then the D7000 and 17-55mm which I found difficult.

Overal I felt like #2 was a better option and also allowed me the flexibility to still buy the FTZ adapter and use my current lenses on the Z50 if I wanted. I can currently buy at my local store a Z 50 with the 16-50mm kit lens and the FTZ adapter for the same price as a D7500 body only.

Having been out of the "nikon game" for many years now I am just delving into the new options out these days and this is what I came up with. Any advice or input is much appreciated or some other options you may think I should consider.

Thanks in advance!

Greg

Last edited:
I would go mirrorless and look closely at Sony. I love my z7 and Z6ii but the Sony iteration is better. I had too much glass to switch I thought and hopefully nikon will catch up.

I would go mirrorless and look closely at Sony. I love my z7 and Z6ii but the Sony iteration is better. I had too much glass to switch I thought and hopefully nikon will catch up.
Thanks! Though it seems like alot of lenses with my current nikon ones to make the switch as well. Are you suggesting keeping the nikon lenses for my d7000 and then "Start over" with a sony mirrorless setup?

Any particular versions of the sony you like around the $1000 mark?

Thanks

Greg

Real Name
Andrew
Nothing wrong with the Nikon mirrorless options. I think they are unnecessarily panned.

if you want to stay DX, then then Z50 is the only thing for Nikon at the moment. However, you can get a used Z6 or a Z5 FX if you want to go that route. Great stills cameras for a reasonable price.
FTZ works great with most AF-S and AF-P lenses in f-mount.

Sony makes a decent product but the grass isn’t always greener over there.

once Nikon release the Z9, I think a D500 equivalent in mirrorless will follow shortly. If it is everything I know Nikon is capable of, then I’ll be selling my D500 for one fo those.

just think long and hard before jumping systems.

I had the lens issue and went with the z. I shot my buddies Sony at the same shoot and it caught focus more often and better than my z did. For portraits I would just bit the bullet and sell the nikon gear. I did not do this but sometimes I wish I had.

Back in late 2019 I made the switch from Nikon to Sony -- primarily because I was ready to go mirrorless but Nikon, having only recently just released the Z6 and Z7 with the FTZ adapter for consumers to use with their existing F-mount lenses, did not have the native mirrorless lenses that I wanted and I had the strong suspicion that it would take quite a long while before they finally were available (this turned out to be true; they still don't offer a couple of those lenses). I had specific needs and requirements and Sony had what I wanted when I wanted it. I took a deep breath and traded in all of my Nikon gear on a Sony A7R IV and three lenses, then later added a few other lenses as the need arose. The quality of the camera I now have and the lenses is excellent, no complaints here at all. I went with full-frame but several years earlier did use the NEX-7, which was APS-C. Again, excellent quality. I'm not familiar with Sony's current line of APS-C bodies, but people seem to be very pleased with them and the results that they get when shooting with them, and they and the native APS-C lenses are fairly reasonably priced.

I'd check things out very thoroughly before making any decisions and purchases, as the current mirrorless climate is moving along pretty rapidly these days, much more so than the DSLR market; both manufacturers and consumers are increasingly turning their attention towards mirrorless technology and its advantages.

Last edited:
The D7500
+ This would be an upgrade to your D7000. List the specs side-by-side.​
+ The tilting rear screen is wonderful. I don't have to go belly down in the dirt, to get a LOW angle shot, which I have to do with my D7200.​
- Weight: But you get no weight reduction, I think the D7500 is heavier than your D7000.​

The Z50
In some cases it is an upgrade, but in other cases not.​
+ EVF is fantastic to use in difficult lighting conditions where the meter cannot easily meter correctly. You can adjust your exposure in real time, without firing the shutter as you have to with a dSLR.​
+/- Weight: The body is lighter than a D7000, but your legacy lenses are still heavy. I do not know how much weight, the FTZ adapter adds to the camera.​
- Lenses: Nikon still only has two DX Z lenses. A few more are on the roadmap, but no idea of delivery.​
- Battery: Mirrorless suck battery power more than a dSLR. Expect to get a spare battery or two soon.​
? EVF for sports. You need input from some who has used the Z50 for sports/fast action. Some mirrorless can handle fast action, some can't.​
Another option is a D5600 + 18-140. This gives you a decent lighter 2nd camera with pretty good GP lens to go chasing the kids.
+ Lens: The 18-140 does not have the optical quality of your 17-55/2.8, but it is a pretty good GP lens. And you don't have to change lenses as much. This is my GP lens.​
+ Weight: Significantly lighter than the D7200.​
- Controls: My big issue with the D5600 is, only ONE control dial. I am too used to using TWO dials, because I use both dials. So, I do not like using one-dial cameras.​
- For some reason, the display indicators (shutter speed/aperture/etc) in the viewfinder is not as easily visible as the D7200, to me. I might just be more used to the D7200 viewfinder.​
? The D5600 does NOT have a body AF motor, so will only work with AF-S/AF-P lenses. So, IF you have any older mechanical AF lenses, the D5600 will not autofocus those lenses.​
? I read that Nikon Japan has discontinued the D3500 and D5600, with no announced replacement. My guess is they will make a low end mirrorless for that market.​

Sony has had many generations to improve their mirrorless, and it shows with how good they are, and the lens landscape.

The Z50 is Nikon's 1st generation DX/APS-C mirrorless.
Nikon seems to have gotten a lot of things right with the camera.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Took some time to read over and so some more research. I decided to take the "plunge" and get into full frame mirrorless.

Store in town had a "kit" of z 5 with the 24-70mm F4 and the FTZ adapter so I purchased that. I think Im now covered well with the 24-70mm F4 and the 70-200mm VRII on the FTZ with a full frame camera. I decided the Z5 over the Z6II as the cost savings will allow me to get another nice piece of glass perhaps with the Z6II not offering much over the Z5 for what I like to shoot and functions I need.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Took some time to read over and so some more research. I decided to take the "plunge" and get into full frame mirrorless.

Store in town had a "kit" of z 5 with the 24-70mm F4 and the FTZ adapter so I purchased that. I think Im now covered well with the 24-70mm F4 and the 70-200mm VRII on the FTZ with a full frame camera. I decided the Z5 over the Z6II as the cost savings will allow me to get another nice piece of glass perhaps with the Z6II not offering much over the Z5 for what I like to shoot and functions I need.
Congratulations!! Can't wait to see your photos from your new gear.

JLH

There were many options and likely all would be great. Sounds like the Z5 with the adapter was a good choice. I picked up a Z50 with both a FTZ and a Canon to Nikon Z adapter and am enjoying learning about this new mirrorless camera world. So much to learn! Like many I can vouch for the fact that mirrorless has advantages but my DSLR's are still my most used cameras for many types of shooting. (for now at least!) But I do find the Z enjoyable and have no regrets getting one.

There were many options and likely all would be great. Sounds like the Z5 with the adapter was a good choice. I picked up a Z50 with both a FTZ and a Canon to Nikon Z adapter and am enjoying learning about this new mirrorless camera world. So much to learn! Like many I can vouch for the fact that mirrorless has advantages but my DSLR's are still my most used cameras for many types of shooting. (for now at least!) But I do find the Z enjoyable and have no regrets getting one.

Shoot for a while and you will figure out which camera works better for what. Then go with that.

I shoot m4/3, but for field sports it is still my D7200 + 70-200/4.

Alright have everything up and running with the new Z5 and 24-70F4. Couple from last few days. Thanks for the advice and suggestions everyone!

_DSC0424.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

_DSC0489.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Photos look good. Are you happy with your choice?
Yes enjoying it so far. I feel like going to want to get the 50 1.8 next for some indoor use. Otherwise enjoying the camera and learning all its functions. I'm on the fence how the autofocus will perform with the kids and more action, running around etc. I hope it will be able to keep up.

Yes enjoying it so far. I feel like going to want to get the 50 1.8 next for some indoor use. Otherwise enjoying the camera and learning all its functions. I'm on the fence how the autofocus will perform with the kids and more action, running around etc. I hope it will be able to keep up.

I suggest you think about the indoor use.
When I went through this exercise, I reasoned that if I am indoors, it is likely to be cramped, so a moderate wide (35) would work better than a normal (50).
Unfortunately Nikon does not make a DX dSLR moderate wide (24), so I had to settle for a DX normal (35).​
But for my m4/3 I did get the moderate wide (17).​
You can check this out yourself with your lens. Set it to 50 and go around the house taking pics, then set it to 35 and do the same. The evaluate if the 50 was too tight indoors, and the 35 was better, or if the 50 was OK.

I suggest you think about the indoor use.
When I went through this exercise, I reasoned that if I am indoors, it is likely to be cramped, so a moderate wide (35) would work better than a normal (50).
Unfortunately Nikon does not make a DX dSLR moderate wide (24), so I had to settle for a DX normal (35).​
But for my m4/3 I did get the moderate wide (17).​
You can check this out yourself with your lens. Set it to 50 and go around the house taking pics, then set it to 35 and do the same. The evaluate if the 50 was too tight indoors, and the 35 was better, or if the 50 was OK.
Agreed, great points. Will walk around at 35 and 50 and find which length I prefer and then consider the 35 1.8 or 50 1.8.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom