Phil & Frank's Coolpix 5700 Portrait Shoot-Out

Discussion in 'People' started by Uncle Frank, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Phil Youngblood and I have both sent out D70s back to Nikon for warranty repairs, and are shooting with out back-up
    cameras, which are CP5700s. We were bemoaning the downgrade when we hit on a way to keep up our interest... a contest.
    We've decided to see who can take the best candid portrait, and the contest will run until we get our dslrs back from the
    Nikon Hospital. We'll call on you guys to help us decide the winner at the end. If you have a 5700 (sorry, no substitutes),
    you're welcome to join in the fun.

The 5700 is much more "stealthy" than the d70 with a 70/80-200 f/2.8 class zoom, which both Phil and I use. I grabbed this
    picture at the car wash today, and the victim... errr, model, had no idea she was being immortalized. Unfortunately, I didn't
    notice that the aperture was set at f/7.4, so the background isn't blurred enough, but I like it anyway 8).

2. I like it too Frank. Can you imagine me sitting there with my D2H and 70-200mm lens at the carwash trying to be stealthy. I knew those smaller camera's had some advantages. Well done.

3. Hey, Frank, that's a excellent shot - I really like it, and it just serves to illustrate that ultimately, it's the photographer, not the gear. As Winston Churchill said, "Give us the tools and we'll do the job".......

4. You'd scare the hell out of your subjects, that's for sure :p.

Didn't you ever own a digicam, Gordon? They're a lot of fun, and the prosumer models put out surprisingly good images.

5. Thanks, Peter! While I do miss my d70, it's not that much of a hardship using a Nikon 5700. It's full featured, and its image quality compares
    well to the current generation of equipment. Personally, I think 5MP is the max they should be putting in 2/3" sensor.

6. My very first digital camera was the D100 which I still have. My second the D2H.

7. I'm late to the party

nt