1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Phil K should be very proud of his city

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by StL_Don, Aug 19, 2008.

1. I cannot express how impressed I was with the job that Hong Kong did with the Equestrian Olympics.

The crowds were handled very efficiently. It took little effort making the trip each day to the venues.
    They adjusted the train schedules so that there never was a wait of more than a very few minutes.

The people were all very warm and friendly - all with big smiles that seemed very genuine.

Each day as we entered the venues we were issued a rain poncho... just in case it rained.
    During the Cross-Country, when it did rain, one of the ladies saw I didn't have rain gear on and came up
    to see if I needed something to wear.
    We were also issued small fans to help keep cool.

Beer at the events cost a whopping $10 HK... that's about $1.30 US, same for a hot dog. Incredible!
    That would cost at least $10 US at American sporting events.

The venues, trains, subway stations... everywhere you went was spotless.

I bow to the people of Hong Kong for a job very well done.

Don

2. Thank you Don. We have worked very hard hoping our friends from all over the world can have an enjoyable stay.

3. $1.30 won't even get you a decent cup of coffee in most of the US anymore! LOL

4. TimK

TimK

Apr 17, 2006
    Hong Kong, China
    To be fair I think your hot dogs are a bit bigger!

(Thanks for your compliment, when are you having lunch with Phil?)

5. These were pretty big, but they were steamed not grilled like we are used to.

I had dinner with Phil and his family Sunday a week ago.

Don

6. Don,
    it's so nice to read a thread like this
    the olympics have sure looked wonderful to those watching all over the world
    and..... the stories from the athletes echo your fine and glowing words

china knew, very well, how important it was to show the world their very best
    and they have
    kudos to them

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Those who created and implimented the opening ceremony at the 2008 Summer Olympics have raised the bar to an unbelievable level, the creators of the opening ceremony for the 2012 Summer Olympics in London have their work cut out for them.

8. Frank....
    i think that we've seen the very best ever
    London can't compete for one very important reason....
    only China could spend $300,000,000.00 without it's countryman objecting loudly enough to make a difference

Great Britain will make a great olympics... but, expect the opening ceremonies to pale in comparison

9. TimK

TimK

Apr 17, 2006
    Hong Kong, China
    We are always good at Kung Fu movies! (And $300,000,000 is just $0.25 per person in China!)

I think Olympics are usually profitable for the city though - or maybe I am wrong?

10. Don't ask that question to people from Montreal, Canada (1976 Olympics - a financial disaster of huge proportions).

11. Here here!

12. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

What will the use the buildings for once the Olympics are done?
    Always wondered that

13. I went to the individual show jumping final yesterday. I have to agree with Don. The whole event was organized extremely smoothly, the staff were very friendly and helpful, the $10 hotdog, beer and drumstick were good, and even the weather cooperated.

People were enjoying it like a carnival. I'm glad that our guests from other countries were having a good time.

14. Phil,
    I'm glad you got to attend at least one night of your "own party":smile:
    I'm still sad that you couldn't have been there with Leslie and me.

I still haven't stopped telling people how impressed I was with how well HK put on its portion of the Olympics.

I was impressed that all the jumps you saw were completely different from the ones we saw...
    They could have easily recycled them but nope... not HK!

Don

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.