Philadelphia Zoo - POSTPONED DUE TO BUSY SCHEDULES

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by Gordon Large, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

The lousy weather is supposed to clear out by Sunday 7/10, and Monday and Tuesday are forecast to have decent weather as well. Anyone want to spend some time at the Philadelphia Zoo? I'm retired, so all three days are clear. Sunday will be crowded, but many of you have to work during the week so Sunday is fine with me. Hope I get some replies because the zoo is always fun.

Gordon

2. Gordon Would liek to try to get there but my schedule is so booked bewteen work house work and kids not sure when 'i could get out maybe the week of July 20th

3. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Gordon. I would also like to go sometime. I have a family membership but I haven't gone since Easter. If you don't mind having a complete amature like me tagging along :oops:, let me know when you are going. As much advanced notice as possible would be helpful, as I am always busy with the kids :D

4. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Gordon,

I just came across this today(July 12) or I might have volunteered. Also retired. We'll have to go some time when Mike Mac goes to pick up some of his tricks. His Philly zoo pictures are fantastic. I doubt if it's all the VR.

I have only been there with grandchildren the last few years and there is never a chance to concentrate. This would be a good way to sneak off.

Offer still open on the scanner.

Dave we lived Moorestown 31 years. Raised all the kids there. Now it's apparently number 1!!! Probably because we moved out.

John

5. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi folks -

Since Mike Mac can do this the week of July 20 (Mike - are you free Monday the 18th through Friday the 22nd), let's plan on doing it then. It would be nice to be able to have some flexibility and pick a day just a couple of days in advance based on the weather forecast. Can everyone get back to me to tell me whether that plan works and what days you CAN'T go that week.

BTW, nobody has to buy tickets. I get 20 free tickets every year and haven't used any yet. Long story but I'm a life member. But my membership card expires in 2030. Do they know something I don't?

Gordon

6. I wouldn't mind doing this either. I'm with Dave though being an amateur and all, so I hope you all wouldn't mind! I'd have to see if I can get off work, because I work two jobs (have to pay for college somehow!).

7. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Nobody should wory about being new to photography. We all were once, although some of us (me) won't admit how long ago. And AFAIK no one on the list of possibles so far is a pro.

Gordon

8. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi folks -

If the weather channel is correct (What chance is there that a weather forecast will be right?), the weather ought to be good from Wednesday the 20th through the weekend. Who is still interested in the Philly Zoo? Please let me know if you are, and which days wold be good for you.

Thanks,
    Gordon

9. I'm definitely still interested in doing this. Like I've mentioned before, I work everyday, but if you guys are looking to meet up later in the day, I can always do that. Saturdays I work til 2 and Sundays til 4. So I guess I'd prefer to do something Saturday, but weekdays aren't out of the question either.

10. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hey guys -

According to the weather forecasters, this wonderful weather is supposed to break Tuesday night, and Wednesday through Friday are supposed to be pretty nice. Unless somebody has a problem with Thursday, I suggest we give the weather guys a margin of error and go then.

The zoo is open from 9:30 to 5, and there is a good chance I can get another hour after the zoo closes. The big animals will be taken inside at 5, but there should still be lots of opportunities and no crowds. I won't be sure about this extra hour until tomorrow.

As in nature, zoo animals are pretty quiet during the middle of the day and of course the light is lousy. I still plan to show up at 9:30 and stay until the end, because there always will be something to shoot. As I said earlier, I've got free admission tickets. Some of you may prefer just morning, just afternoon or all day. I suggest that I meet the morning and all-day people at the main gate where the ticket office is at 9:30, and then I'll come back to the main gate at 2pm to meet the afternoon folks. That way I can hand our the admission tickets and save you $17.

As of now there will be only four of us. (If anyone else wants to join us, just let me know.) I would appreciate it if you would let me know if this plan works for you, and which time I can expect you at the gate. If you need to come at some other time, we'll figure out a way to accommodate you. You'll be able to tell who I am by looking for a 6ft tall slightly balding guy with a big black camera.

FYI, the web site of the zoo is www.philadelphiazoo.org if you want to check directions, see a map of the zoo, etc. I checked with the zoo and tripods and flashes are allowed, but not elaborate lighting setups.

I'm looking forward to this. Should be a lot of fun. The zoo has asked if we would donate any good pictures we get to the zoo. I have no problem with this, but of course it is up to each of you individually.

Please get back to me asap. Thanks -

Gordon

11. ?Hey there guys have a good time on Thursday look forward to your shots

12. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

So nobody is disappointed, I just found out the the big cats - lions and tigers - are in temporary quarters while they are building a new facility. Unfortunate, but it won't deter me!

Gordon

13. Thursday could actually work for me. I don't have to go into work until 3:30, so I could do meet you guys at 9:30. I would most definitely donate any photos that came out pretty well to the zoo. I definitely don't have a problem with that. I actually would be honored do donate my photographs to them.

I'm not going to commit 100% in case something comes up with work. Right now, I'm about 80% sure that I'll be there.

14. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

It wasn't possible to round up any NC members for a Zoo shoot at this time. Too bad, but with the lousy hot weather we are having, maybe a blessing in disguise. Will try to set up something in late August or September. Stay tuned!

Gordon

15. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Removed sticky.

PGB