Phillies vs Braves (MLB)

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by mike mac, Apr 6, 2007.

1. The kids and I went down to Citizens Bank Park to watch the Phil's yesterday. It was mote like football weather with the temps in the low 40s and even some snow flurries, this coupled with the fact they lost their third straight to the Braves 8-4..
    I was able to bring the D2X and the 300 2.8 in and tried to get some shots here are a few of them shot most at ISO 400 I believe.
    #1 Chase Utley
    [​IMG]
    #2 Jimmy Rollins makes the tag at 2nd
    [​IMG]
    #3 Safe at Home
    [​IMG]
    #4 Turning the Double Play
    [​IMG]
    #5 third Baseman Wes Helms
    [​IMG]
    #6 Adam Eaton Starting Pitcher (he sucks)
    [​IMG]
    #7 Rounding Third
    [​IMG]
    #8 Ryan Howard NL 2006 MVP (so far 0 for 10 this year)
    [​IMG]
    #9 Chase Hutley starts the double play
    [​IMG]
    #10 Jimmy Rollins throws to first
    [​IMG]
    #11 Called third strike
    [​IMG]
    #12 The Phillie Phantatic
    [​IMG]

2. very cool series!

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Wonderful series Mike, I have a Cubs game in June with awesome seats, I hope my shots are as great as yours. You did a great job capturing the action.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    You make a camera sing beautiful images Mike
    Nice series of images as usual

5. These are awesome shots, esp. considering the cold. I watched this one on the tube yesterday and almost everyone looked like the cold was affecting them. Good start for the Braves, I think they'll hold up better against the Mets this year. I wouldn't want to be Pat Burrell for anything - they boo that guy for everything!

Sean

6. Great series!!

#6 (pitcher) ... whenever I see a shot like this and see the positions of the pitcher's arms and hands, it just looks to me like something ought to hurt!! Just such an unnatural position ... for that particular fraction of a second!!

Cheers!!

Ken

7. Fantastic shots, being a Phillies fan I really like these. What I dont like is the fact that they are 0-3...

8. Excellent shots Mike! You and the kids had great seats.

Anthony

9. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    Excellent work, Mike. I reaaly like #10. did you have any problems getting that big lens into the stadium? I've read several horror stories about MLB stadiums and what some of them allow to be taken in.

10. Wow! Mike great series, super color and sharpness.
    I am surprised they let you in the stadium with that big gun.

11. thanks Dave
    Thanks Frank good seats make the game so much more enjoyable
    Thanks so much
    I know what you mean it is an unatural postion
    Not a good start at al
    The seats were awesome I get three or four games a year in these seats it makes for a wonderful day
    I shoot all of these between f4 and f 2.8 to keep the shutter speeds high and to blow out the background. Try to keep the shutterspeeds above 1/1000 s
    I shoot sports in jpeg srgb color space I

At Citizens Bank Park the limit is 16 inches for bag dimensions so I had the body seperate from the camera and had no problem found out I coudl even bring in a monopod with me next time these were shot handheld

12. Mike, awesome pics! The colors look great. Every time I talk myself out of the 300 2.8, I see pics like these and I want it all over again. Fantanstic stuff!

13. It is a great lens for sure you wont reget it but you cant blame me if you get it!

14. i am trying a sigma 300/2.8 today but i suspect i will end up w/ the nikon

awesome pics Mike, I'll tell the wife you made me do it :smile:

15. Great use of the 300 Mike, excellent shots!

16. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Excellent shots Mike!!! I strive to have my shots as good as this, but unfortunately I think I am not quite there yet. Now if I could only upgrade my D50 to something faster! :biggrin:

Go Braves!

17. Thanks for the nice images of my favorite Braves Andrew Jones and Jeff Francoeur.

Go Braves.

18. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Mike, the pro ballpark allowed you to shoot with a 300mm f/2.8? Wow, I never thought that they would allow such a large lens. I thought the 70-200mm was about the limit for long glass.

19. The chemist

The chemist

Jul 22, 2005
    nashville
    Boy who would of thought that combo could get in! Real nice captures mike..way to go

20. Cameras are park specific and even seat specific. The seats I sat in were in the Diamond club, with a private entrance so maybe a little more laxed, but according to the web site it was limited to the size of the bag and to make that work I had the camera separate from the lens with the lens hood reversed. When I got to my seats the usher was asking me what lens and said wheres your mono pod and I said I thought that would be pushing it and he said nah bring it next time.