Phillies vs Braves (MLB)

The kids and I went down to Citizens Bank Park to watch the Phil's yesterday. It was mote like football weather with the temps in the low 40s and even some snow flurries, this coupled with the fact they lost their third straight to the Braves 8-4..
I was able to bring the D2X and the 300 2.8 in and tried to get some shots here are a few of them shot most at ISO 400 I believe.
#1 Chase Utley
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#2 Jimmy Rollins makes the tag at 2nd

#3 Safe at Home

#4 Turning the Double Play

#5 third Baseman Wes Helms

#6 Adam Eaton Starting Pitcher (he sucks)

#7 Rounding Third

#8 Ryan Howard NL 2006 MVP (so far 0 for 10 this year)

#9 Chase Hutley starts the double play

#10 Jimmy Rollins throws to first

#11 Called third strike

#12 The Phillie Phantatic

Wonderful series Mike, I have a Cubs game in June with awesome seats, I hope my shots are as great as yours. You did a great job capturing the action.

These are awesome shots, esp. considering the cold. I watched this one on the tube yesterday and almost everyone looked like the cold was affecting them. Good start for the Braves, I think they'll hold up better against the Mets this year. I wouldn't want to be Pat Burrell for anything - they boo that guy for everything!

Sean

Real Name
Ken St John
Great series!!

#6 (pitcher) ... whenever I see a shot like this and see the positions of the pitcher's arms and hands, it just looks to me like something ought to hurt!! Just such an unnatural position ... for that particular fraction of a second!!

Cheers!!

Ken

Excellent work, Mike. I reaaly like #10. did you have any problems getting that big lens into the stadium? I've read several horror stories about MLB stadiums and what some of them allow to be taken in.

very cool series!
thanks Dave
Wonderful series Mike, I have a Cubs game in June with awesome seats, I hope my shots are as great as yours. You did a great job capturing the action.
Thanks Frank good seats make the game so much more enjoyable
You make a camera sing beautiful images Mike
Nice series of images as usual
Thanks so much
These are awesome shots, esp. considering the cold. I watched this one on the tube yesterday and almost everyone looked like the cold was affecting them. Good start for the Braves, I think they'll hold up better against the Mets this year. I wouldn't want to be Pat Burrell for anything - they boo that guy for everything!
Sean it was really cold 40 degrees with snow flurries, the Braves looked good, we are off to another bad start. Pat burell gets booed a lot her in Philly but his attitude and lack of connection with the fans plus his poor play over the last several years have contributed to that
Sean
Great series!!

#6 (pitcher) ... whenever I see a shot like this and see the positions of the pitcher's arms and hands, it just looks to me like something ought to hurt!! Just such an unnatural position ... for that particular fraction of a second!!

Cheers!!

Ken
I know what you mean it is an unatural postion
Fantastic shots, being a Phillies fan I really like these. What I dont like is the fact that they are 0-3...
Not a good start at al
Excellent shots Mike! You and the kids had great seats.

Anthony
The seats were awesome I get three or four games a year in these seats it makes for a wonderful day
These are outstanding!!!!
I would be very curious to learn a bit more about your exposures. What is a typical shutterspeed you use to stop action so perfectly and what f stop does this allow?

And another question if I may. Your colors are so pure and contrast so perfect. Are you using or doing anything special?
I shoot all of these between f4 and f 2.8 to keep the shutter speeds high and to blow out the background. Try to keep the shutterspeeds above 1/1000 s
I shoot sports in jpeg srgb color space I

Excellent work, Mike. I reaaly like #10. did you have any problems getting that big lens into the stadium? I've read several horror stories about MLB stadiums and what some of them allow to be taken in.
At Citizens Bank Park the limit is 16 inches for bag dimensions so I had the body seperate from the camera and had no problem found out I coudl even bring in a monopod with me next time these were shot handheld

Mike, awesome pics! The colors look great. Every time I talk myself out of the 300 2.8, I see pics like these and I want it all over again. Fantanstic stuff!

Real Name
Randy
Mike, awesome pics! The colors look great. Every time I talk myself out of the 300 2.8, I see pics like these and I want it all over again. Fantanstic stuff!
i am trying a sigma 300/2.8 today but i suspect i will end up w/ the nikon

awesome pics Mike, I'll tell the wife you made me do it :smile:

Excellent shots Mike!!! I strive to have my shots as good as this, but unfortunately I think I am not quite there yet. Now if I could only upgrade my D50 to something faster! :biggrin:

Go Braves!

Mike, the pro ballpark allowed you to shoot with a 300mm f/2.8? Wow, I never thought that they would allow such a large lens. I thought the 70-200mm was about the limit for long glass.

Cameras are park specific and even seat specific. The seats I sat in were in the Diamond club, with a private entrance so maybe a little more laxed, but according to the web site it was limited to the size of the bag and to make that work I had the camera separate from the lens with the lens hood reversed. When I got to my seats the usher was asking me what lens and said wheres your mono pod and I said I thought that would be pushing it and he said nah bring it next time.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom