Photo Addiction - the threat of "our" era?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Panos Kazanelis, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Don’t you sometimes feel like when you had a great time doing something amazing you would LOVE to have some photos of it? Or saw this wonderful golden sunset with colorful skies and playing clouds… but you just couldn’t have any photos ‘cause your DSLR is too heavy or too big for you to carry around all day?... (unless you have a cell phone with a 7MPs built-in camera!) Well, I have felt that way, and it’s NOT a very good feeling.

To our benefit, NIKON has introduced the new CoolPix 7900! (see also the PMA report! )
    ANNIVAA460EC.
    a new pocket-size [Dimension (W x H x D):Approx. 3.5 x 2.4 x 1.4 in. (88 x 60 x 36.5mm - Weight:Approx. 5.3 oz. (150g) 5.3 oz.] digital camera with 7.1 Effective Megapixels and lots of other goodies.

It has also introduced the WP-CP4 Waterproof Case
    [​IMG]
    which allows the use of the camera at a depth of 130 feet under water!!!

The reason I’m starting this thread is to see/learn more about this camera from people that have used it or are thinking of buying it. I know it won’t compare to the big guns we all have, but we might all get stunned by its performance. Is it worth the "click here to buy" or should I leave it in my wish list forever?

Any thoughts, personal experiences with this miniGun?

2. Hey Panos,

I think this is solid thread. Myself, I keep my D100 with 24-120VR in the car at all times (hidden of course) in case I do come upon that "moment" but you bring up other good points for consideration:

1. Is it small enough to take places the DSLR can't go or won't be allowed.

2. Waterproof casing is big for me as I'd love this feature. The casing for the D2X is almost as much as the camera itself.

3. Important to me (I don't know about others) is the ability to have a silent shutter. There are times I don't want to distract people (Golf comes to mind) when shooting so a silent shutter would go a long way.

As long as the image quality is acceptable and I don't have to plop down a grand I'd seriously consider it as a backup camera.

Anyone else do this?

_/oe

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Panos,
    Great discussion. I have a Nikon CP5000 with the Tele and Wide lens. I carry it in my purse all the time.

When I am out shooting the D100 with the 80-400 VR, still have the 5000 with wide angle lens.

May even shoot it on raw :>)) S l o wwwww
    lolol

Having all risk insurance and no waterproof case helps.

If you don't have a camera, you can not record an event. I love PJ stuff and found the 5000 there when I need it.

Quality is great, 5 mp. Have a 20x20 hanging on the wall, so limitations of printing no problem.

The 5000 can be shot on manual. Many options.

If I did not have this camera, I am sure I would look at another Nikon to fit the bill. The one you speak of sounds great.

What do you think of the Nikon 8800 with VR. Read quite a bit on it sounds nice.

Hope others will join in and share some of thier ideas.

Cheers
    Thanks
    Gale

4. I do carry my dSLR everywhere I go - I also have a 200-400mm attached just in case.

5. Damn Todd, that's funny!

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Todd
    I heard that is a really cute P&S.

Post some pics...rofl

Cheers Pal
    Gale

7. The 8800 is a very good camera but still a giant compared to the 7900. I am looking for a pocket-size camera with as many goodies as possible! Also the WP case is a great ad-on :wink:

8. Todd, how big your pockets are :shock:

9. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I've still got my CP 995. I really should carry it more. Like my obsolete D100, the 995 still works to. :D

Neil

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Me, I'm with Todd. I am new to photography, and actually got my first cam (Sony DSC-828) a little over a year ago to shoot my kitties. Once I got into the birdie thing though, I became addicted.... :?

Now, I often carry my D2H on the seat with me, complete with the 300 2.8, usually with the 1.4 TC, just in case the right birdie flies by. I can't even drive down the road without scanning the skies for Hawks, Geese, and the occasional GBH. It is not unusual for me to slam on the breaks at 65 mph, and make a u-turn to get a good Red-tailed shot. :shock:

So for me, a little P&S is not a big attraction. Give me the big glass any time.... 8)

Frank

11. I played around with a Canon SD300 and I really liked it. It's only 4mp, but the camera handled great. The focusing was fast, with minimal hunting, but the best thing about it is the form factor. It's very thin and compact. To be honest I actually prefer Canon compacts over Nikon's and I like their printers too! :)

12. Knock about camera

I keep an old KODAK DC-290 in the car. I have carried it all over. Takes great photos (see my landscape photos post "SD Badlands Summer Storm"). The biggest difficulty I have with it is remembering to keep the batteries charged. Seems those NiMH batteries will run down it 3-4 weeks of just sitting. It sure is a tough camera and takes a beating.

Chet

13. Im just a really big guy so a 200-400mm lens with a D2x on it is like a P&S to other regular sized poeple. I also carry a gitzo 1228 in my other pocket. :D

14. Next thing you tell us you carru with ya, is your G5... :shock:

15. Yeah right Flew... well I know what you mean... I often leave the house like that... :wink:

http://www.pbase.com/pkazan/image/40704151

The big Lowe Harness with D100, D70, F100, 80-200, 80-400, 17-35, 24-120, SB800, SB28, Multiple filters and close-up lenses hmmm what else.. aha... Manfrotto wilderness tripod and monopord... :roll:

16. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    And to think, I just thought you were glad to see me.

Neil

17. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    I have a T1 for just that purpose. A measly 5mp but it does fine. My daughter had a CP3200 though.