Photo Clinic

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by greyflash, May 28, 2007.

1. The management of the Cafe have discontinued the Photo Clinic forum today. Thanks to all that have participated and found value in this forum. The decision was made strictly on the basis of traffic volume. The management would also like to express their thanks to the Mentors who gave of their time and talent to comment on image submissions.

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thank you to you Gordon, Wade, Woody, Scott, Lisa and the other mentors, and to the photographers who submitted their work for analysis and to those who worked with us beta testing the Clinic. It is disappointing, but it had been months since anybody posted anything there.

I would like to remind all of our photographers who are looking for more comments on their work, that they can include the Comment and Critique icon ([imgn]https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/images/icons/icon15.gif[/imgn]) on their post to solicit such comments from the membership.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. Sorry to hear that it didn't go so well... but on the bright side, it's one less thing for you busy people to have to deal with! :smile:

4. Gordon, thanks so much for your hosting of that area...I know that I personally benefited from it, and I'm sure others did as well. Well done to all of you.

5. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Sorry to see it go. While I never participated, I always enjoyed reading and following along.

6. Thanks all, it was fun while it lasted. Perhaps another time and a different format.

7. I loved the advice received in the clinic.

8. Why not a dedicated critique forum? I think the "mentor" thing was a bit too much, though.

9. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I think the quality of the critic is important Ned. The mentor idea was a way of screening the input and the term 'mentor' was chosen to keep from having it be about the common idea of criticism. If you want criticism of your images, just put the C&C icon on your post in any picture forum.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, the concept of photographic criticism is often taken to mean 'constructive criticism' where the 'critic' tells the 'photographer' how they would have done it. The roles of critic and photographer can be easily reversed.

This is because we most often show single (or multiple) isolated images. It is difficult to tie a single image into a meaningful statement about the photograph or the photographer. Many of our photographers (yourself included) show a body of work over time. This is the kind of work that can be analytically observed and commented on, but that kind of critique takes time and effort to do. What would you learn from such an exercise?

10. Great post chris!
    What would I learn from such an exercise? Nothing and all at the same time. I would love to get a critic of my body of work, a smashing good and cruel one. But it wouldn't make me change my style nor what I think of my work. What would make me change and behave better, photographically speaking, would be a real-life and long-term workshop.

So true!

11. Way to go Ned and Chris. Now we are getting somewhere. I was on the fence about whether to chime in on this one. Now maybe it is time.

In general I found the clinic to be too much about how to "save" a photo already taken by use of photoshop and other retouching methods. Often I thought some advice about how to handle the shot the next time would be of more help. This of course only applies to the technical stuff.

As to an artists vision, this is harder to critique and Chris is right when he says that a body of work lends itself to this much more appropriately.

Perhaps a request could be made where a poster offers up an online portfolio via a link (not embedded photos). Mentors could review the work in it's entirety and make more meaningful suggestions. The poster should then be able to digest the information learned and submit additions to their portfolio that show their artistic growth. A give and take on going sort of affair.

This would be a bit cumbersome so a limit on the number of people requesting portfolio review would be necessary.

My 2 cents.