Photo Contests....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TOLady, Oct 31, 2005.

1. :mad: The older I get, the more cynical I become.... here's a perfect example, and some information for those who don't know.... BEWARE OF PHOTO CONTESTS.

Coleman camping equipment folks, photo contest.... here in the small fine print:
    "By submitting a photograph, you do hereby grant, convey, sell, assign, and transfer to Sponsor, its successors and assigns, as assignee, all of your right, title, and interest in and to the photographs, the copyrights to the photograph(s), any registrations and copyright applications relating to the photograph(s) and any extensions and renewals thereof, all droit morale rights to the photographs, and any derivative use of the photograph(s), including, but not limited to, the sole and exclusive right of copying, engraving, reproducing, and multiplying the photograph(s) in any form in any medium."

In plain english: each time you enter a pic (not win, but just entering it) they end up owning it and use it for anything they want, including advertising!!$$$$, and you can't sell it to anyone else or even use it on your pbase site. What they give in return is:
    First prize $684.92 worth of camping equipment, which to the manufacturer who is sponsoring the contest, probably about $250 wholesale value.

This sure beats the company going out and actually hiring a photographer!!! The whole contest retail value payout is $1,961.71 for all prizes, which to them is probably about $800 wholesale value for receiving hundreds, if not thousands of hopefully good/great photographs. Think, and read before entering these contests, folks! :mad:

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Agree

One of our local newspapers has a page where they publish a photo from a reader. The fine print reads almost exactly like the one Sandi quoted. I would never submit a photo to them.

4. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Many of the reputable contests are less ominous though. I think they pretty much all state that you are giving them the right to publish the photo or use it for ads or other promotional uses; but stop short of claiming that ownership/copyright is actually transferred to them. Now for a working pro even that might be objectionable, but for amateurs such as myself having the photo published is perfectly fine, heck even desirable.

It's definitely a good tip to check the fine print before entering though. I certainly wouldn't want to give away ownership/copyright of an image, that's just ridiculous.

5. Paul - nope, not this cookie! I was going to submit one of my nature shots to this contest but read the fine print first!

Don & Jeff - the thing I don't like is the even if you send them a pic, they then own the copyright, they don't even have to use it. As an amateur, if you send them one of your pics, you'll never be able to use it again, even if they don't use it! This is my beef....

I've placed a call into them to discuss this with their marketing manager as I feel it's grossly unfair and a blatant and cheap way of gathering advertising pictures. They can have the copyright on the winners but not anything that's submitted! We'll see if I get a callback...

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

7. FishSauce

FishSauce

Aug 10, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Sandy,
    Thanks for the info. I haven't enter my work for any contest, but I will keep in mind when I do.

8. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL
    Hi Sandi

Please be sure to keep us posted when or if they reply to your call. I would love to hear there thoughts on this. My guess is you will never hear from them, they know exactly what they are doing.

9. Got a call this aft from the Vice Prez, he said he's NOT doing the contest to gather photos, he completely understands my displeasure with them owning the rights to the submitted, not just the winners. He's going to contact the corp lawyers and find out why they worded it this way. All in all, a very good conversation - he sounded genuinely surprised about the ownership of any that are only submitted. He's going to let me know what their answer is. Hmmm, maybe we can change the tide of this with just a little cage-rattling.

10. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I'll go you one further, any place you submit to, read the fine print first. The Weather Channel has the same wording, send in your photos of interesting weather events. When you do, you relinquish all rights to the photo. It's not just contests. While I agree that the motive is likely not sinister, the results will surely be a surprize to many somewhere down the road.
    I recall one of the best tornado shots I've seen. It was at night, illuminated by nature's speedlight, lightning. The guy has made a good deal of $$$ from it, but if he had blindly submitted it, the Weather Channel would be making the $$$ and he'd be out.

11. Sandi, I fell into that trap a couple of years ago.
    I entered a contest with IMHO some very good
    wildlife shots. The grand prize was a pocket digital
    camera and I thought gee I could use one of those.

The grand prize was won by the seven year old
    daughter of the judge for a horrible snapshot
    of a frog on a rock and I received a coffee mug.

About a month later I see my shots displayed
    at the camera store that sponsored the contest.
    When I questioned them about the use of my shots
    I was told that by submitting to the contest that
    the shots become their property. To add insult
    to injury, my shots were used to promote the next
    years photo contest.

I don't enter any contests anymore, after that screwing.

Oh well live and learn. I still use those photo's and I
    would just dare them to come after me for the copyright.

Cheers,
    Robin