Photo editing tablet opinions sought

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kevin Scott, Dec 13, 2005.

1. I'm familiar with the Wacom line of products but am wondering if anyone has any other opinions on similar items. Are there other brands that are comparable? What size do you find most useable?

Thanks for any feedback!

2. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Tablets

I have tried a few of the less expensive brands but have not found any that can compare with the Wacom products. I use a 6 X 8 Intuos 2 Wacom tablet and find that is a comfortable compromise for me between a large enough working space and the space it takes up on my desk. They have just added a 6 X 11 to the Intuous 3 line but I have never used that size. Wacom makes a quality product. They have a less expensive line called Graphire but I am not familiar with it.

3. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I have the smallest Wacom Graphire, I think it's 4"x5". I like it, and it's definitely better than using a mouse. But I do wish it were a bit larger. I think the 6x8 size would be "just right". Keep in mind if you go too large that means that you have to cover more ground on the tablet relative to the screen. This can actaully be a disadvantage in some situations (for instance trying to do a lasso selection or complex brush-stroke in one pass). So my recommendation would be to go with a medium sized tablet such as the 6x8.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Kevin,
    the Graphire is a fine tablet. I started with a refurbished one from wacom. 4x5. Took some getting used to.
    But would not want to be without one. Sometimes the mouse feels like a brick :>))
    I now have a 6x8 Wacom Intous 2.

So there you have my experience.
    Graphire is fine. Intous is fine.

Might want to try a refurbished one first to see if your going to get used to it.
    Took me a long time. But now Wow.
    Better for your wrists also.

Ps..Present from mail man :>)) TY

5. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

The Graphire comes with a mouse and a pen. Do you have to use their mouse, or can you just use the pen? (I like my current trackball mouse)

6. Thank you everyone for your feedback thus far. The 6x8 is the one I was leaning towards. I seem to have a tendency to not want the "cheapest" for fear it's inferior but I notice the primary difference (aside from price) between the Intuos and the Graphire is 512 vs 1024 levels of pressure. Is that something I'd really notice? I've just recently discovered the beauty of multiple passes of the brush/eraser at a very minimal opacity of 5-10% and it's perfect for techniques I use. Just curious if there's really a practical difference.

Gale, why did you upgrade? What do you like better about the Intuos2 over the Graphire? Glad you got the mail ok...I always worry about that. Look for another one shortly! :wink:

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I up-graded cause i wore out to other one. lol

For 70 dollars refurbished it lasted two years. Not bad :>))

You do not have to use the mouse. You can use just the pen. Or you can alternate. I use the mouse on the net and the pen editing.
    You can use a different mouse seperately also in conjunction with the tablet. I used a microsoft ps2 mouse till that wore our. lol
    I used my wireless MS mouse on the table and the pen on the tablet, whatever I felt like at the time.

At present Kevin, I would just as soon have bought the Graphire for my level of editing. I don't know PS inside and out and don't do it for a living.

Actually the new Intous 2 6x8 takes up to much room on my desk. It has other controls on each side, which make it quite wide and a bit to much not need area.. Take a look at the dementions. I think it is really poorly designed.

8. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I was about to get the new PS Elements 4 (mine is several years old, Version 0.0) for $99.00, since the tablet comes with PS Elements 3, I'll do that!

I don't need the features of the Inuos and the Graphire has the Office software which the Intuos does not.

I'm ordering from Amazon for $169.99, free shipping.....hurry! they only had 4 copies when I ordered, so now it's down to 3......

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Ken,
    You will be better off sticking with PS elements 3. They are stripping to much out of version 4. )and prob future versions of elements) They are trying to force the sales of CS2.. which you can up-grade to from elements 2 for 169.
    Three is great and will use all the Acr versions.

10. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Thanks Gale! I ordered from Amazon. Wacom didn't have these "refurbished" and with no sales tax, free shipping and Amazon's price, I saved about $50, deduct another $89 for the Elements and I have the Graphire for very little...

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Ken ,
    I hope I answered above but if I did not..

You can continue to use your trackball and just use your tablet and pen when you want to.
    You can only use a wacom mouse on a wacom tablet though.

Both "mooses: :>) can be hooked up and active at the same time.

12. Hi Kevin:
    I cannot comment on brand other than Wacom. But I can tell you that the Wacom product line is very good.

I started out with the 6x9 Intuos and it is well made and works very well. Recently I have been looking REAL HARD at the cintiq unit, as it will give me the control I'm looking for. But now I just need to decide if I want a D200 worse than the new drawing tablet....lol

Mind you by the time you read this looking at it might not be a thing of the past.....:smile: :cool:

13. The biggest difference between Intuos and Graphire is the feel (aside from the programmable buttons, which are also very useful) - the Intuos3 feels not that different from a fat lead pencil on paper - very natural. The Graphire3/4 still feel like plastic on plastic, despite changing pen tips.

I have a 6x8" Intuos3 at home for editing and find the size to be perfect. I also have a 4x5 Graphire3 at work, and find that's a little to small to be accurate with. Note that if you're using two monitors, the 6x11 Intuos3 is probably your best bet.

Of course if you can afford it, go for the Wacom Cintiq 21UX...it's an Intuos3 with a very high res 21" LCD underneath :biggrin:

Ming

14. Where are you getting the refurbished one's from? E-Bay, Wacom?

I would like to try one but, do not want to spend too much till I am sure I would actually use it.

15. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

The Wacom site has their refurbished units listed. When I last checked they had several, but none of the Graphire 6X8 that I wanted.

16. Thanks again Ken. I will go check them out.

17. RForshey

RForshey Guest

The Intuos3s are just fantastic. I personally use the 6X8, but have used the 12X12 as well. Right now the cheapest place I've found to buy is Genisis at:
    http://www.genesis-technologies.com/

Their price is $274.00 for the 6X8.

18. Now, I wonder if I can order it via my high school aged daughter to qualify for the educational discounted price?? :wink:

19. RForshey

RForshey Guest

To buy the Intuos, you don't have to have the educational tie-in :smile: