1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Photo Equipment shops in Chicago

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mani, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Mani

Mani

Jan 14, 2006
    Toronto - Canada
    Next month iam Travelling to Chicago , any recommendation for good Photo Equipment Shops/ Stores

2. Nick7

Nick7

May 12, 2006
    England
    I'd be interested in this too as I shall be there for a friend's wedding next spring. What is the rate of tax there, and do foreigners pay it, or perhaps pay it and reclaim?

Thanks.

3. Phil

Phil

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    Calumet
    1111 N. Cherry Avenue Chicago, IL 60642

4. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Calumet has a very nice store in Chicago - it's on 'Goose Island' in the city - nice shot of downtown from their front door.

5. For something different, be sure to visit Central Camera on Wabash (in the Loop). Family owned since several generations, a dying breed of old fashioned stores.
    I visit there each time I am in Chicago and love to rummage among the incredible variety of stuff they have in the store. Great sales people also, some interesting personalities.

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    If you are going to be in downtown Chicago, you will enjoy visiting Calumet Photographic, Helix Camera and Central Camera. If you plan to buy gear, be prepared to pay the highest sales tax in the nation.....10%.

7. pidgeon92

pidgeon92 Guest

Actually, the tax rate now is 10.25%. This is why I stick to mail order for most large ticket items.

8. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the clarification, the increase in sales tax will assuredly kill many businesses.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.