1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Photo Extraction Poster

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by niknd501, Aug 6, 2008.

1. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    My VERY FIRST attempt at a photo extraction poster. I have made this a challenge to make myself learn more things in photoshop.

Ok - so let me have it. I want to get better at this so I'll take good or bad.

Maybe blue backdrop would look better ?

346698323_GxR8p-L.

346751344_YQuTx-L.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2008
  2. I like it!

3. ofd678

ofd678

Aug 12, 2007
    Glenwood
    poster

Nice job on the extraction. What did you use to extract him?

I would add a drop shadow to the baseball player to give it a bit of depth.

I also like how you put your box and darker color to hide the missing portion of the player at the bottom of the poster.

Nice poster.

4. jStat

jStat

Dec 11, 2007
    Janesville, WI
    What is this extraction process?

5. ofd678

ofd678

Aug 12, 2007
    Glenwood
    Extraction is taking the player out of the picture and leaving behind what you don't want.

6. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    Thanks Rolly

Drop shadow . . . I knew I was forgetting something. Your right that would help.

I really stink at this and probably won't do many of these. I am still not very good with Photoshop. It's so much easier to shoot and publish for sales without a bunch of processing.:biggrin:

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I like the second version better than the first, something about the color in the first doesn't flatter the player. You did very well Rod, very creative.

8. Rod, first off, great job, it looks great. Second, I wouldn't recomend doing sales on something like this even if you were a PS master. It will take to long and the return probably wouldn't be worth it.

9. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    Thanks Frank. I like the blue better.

Yep - I agree. I would only do something like this if a parent asked for it. No mass marketing for these.

Thanks for the comment and kind words.

10. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    #2 is my choice Keep at it I think your doing well

11. Dennis Carter

Dennis Carter

Jun 29, 2007
    USA
    Very nice, Rod. I agree with others, blue looks better.

Why not offer for sales...BUT...charge appropriately?

12. ofd678

ofd678

Aug 12, 2007
    Glenwood
    posters

I do a lot of these type of posters and there really isn't that much money involved. Lots of the team stuff we do is simply to keep contracts for other type of pictures that are more profitable. The posters are a break even at best. The only ones you can make a few bucks with are templates that you can drag and drop stuff into. With saying that, it is tons of fun to make these for your kids and friends on the team. The satisfaction of seeing them is worth more than you can charge for them.

13. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

as frank said... blue is better..... hit it with a drop shadow and i think your on the right track

14. BrendaC

BrendaC

Sep 24, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Love the poster and your selection looks perfect. Nice job!

15. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    Thank you everyone for the kind words and encouragment. I will keep pushing myself to learn new things as I go. This one was actually a template that I tweeked some. I did the photo extraction.

The other posters I have put up here I did from scratch and they take a while to do. But I'm getting a little better and quicker at them. I also made my
    own memory mate for my baseball T&I work.

Thanks again.

16. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    Looks nice Rod. I like the blue. Now ask for the dough

17. Looks good to be Rod I need to improve my skills in this area, could you explain how you did the extraction

18. Not in my neck of the woods! A custom piece like that depending on print size would run in the hundreds.

Gary

19. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    :eek: 

I need to move. :biggrin:

20. Definitely the blue Rod and it looks great. I am so needing to start learning this. I just recently had a request for a collage and this kind of work.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.