1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Photo makes a statement:

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doug, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    [​IMG]

Shame on Honda for ever putting their name on that Isuzu, shame on Isuzu for building a vehicle that self destructs at 125K miles.

Turn that, into this with 750.00 rebate for a total of 5250 off base Toyota Tacoma truck:

[​IMG]

2. jerryshenk

jerryshenk

Jan 8, 2009
    PA
    I just heard on the news that Cash For Clunkers is getting shut down at midnight tomorrow night (Friday night)....better get it turned in.

3. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    I already turned mine in to dealer, my deal is made.

4. Enjoy your new truck and the deal you got on it (because obviously you got a good deal).

5. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Darn; wish I had known you were trading it in; I'd have traded air conditioner compressors with you!

Yup; that window problem is pretty obvious.

(I love my 1998 Passport with 150,000 miles on it...)

6. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Thanks Melissa, I sure did. Obviously, I was sitting in ideal position for this being frugal about my old Passport and getting every bit out of it I could before dumping it. Oh, I was close, twice before to dumping it, but I managed to keep it rolling with bailing wire and duct tape, ha. I figure I may as well get the cash back as anyone, and I did help local economy and car biz, even if not American biz. But rest assured, we are all in this together, foreign and domestic. Toyota been hurting just like everyone else, and will loose money in US market this year it seems.

Man, Pia, you missed out on a good un, you could have disassembled the whole vehicle ha. IT just had to drive on the lot. They are really comfortable vehicles, and I enjoyed driving mine. I just got unlucky with all my issues. Some don't have "as many" as I have I am sure. Others probably have more. It's hit or miss!

7. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Jerry, I just read on CNN, that they may suspend program at midnight on Friday as you say, but that all vouchers before that point will be honored. Amazingly, the Toyota dealer I was at, didn't appear that busy with clunker biz. Maybe everyone was over at the Dodge and Chevy dealers getting MAX bang for their buck. (4500 additional at Dodge and 2500 at Chevrolet through Fri night)

8. There's something to be said for bailing wire and duct tape...my husband broke some kind of suspension bracket on our Jeep Wrangler while on a trail in Tellico, TN. He was able to "fix" it with some bailing wire and get it off the trail to some guys house who had a welder, and that fixed it good enough that he could drive it back to Atlanta. It saved me from having to load up our 1 1/2 year old in my mommy mobile (big diesel truck), hooking up the car hauler, and going to get him. So HOORAY for bailing wire for both of us!

9. Gort

Gort

Mar 10, 2008
    Phoenix
    I was thinking "hey, the Passport isn't too bad," until I saw the no radio volume. That's intollerable!

10. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    LOL, it did that on the way to the dealership Steve, that's when I knew I was making the right decision, it was an omen. First time it had EVER done that. It didn't look to bad from a distance squinting a little bit, heh.

LOL on the bailing wire Melissa. I've seen some of those trails, they've busted many a suspension component, lol.

I wanted to take the Passport out dogging it before I traded, but I just knew somehting would break, and then it wouldn't drive onto lot.

11. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Scary thing is that although my 98 Passport has 150,000plus miles on it, my buddy's 1996 Rodeo has over 250,000 miles on it and still going strong, kinda. I replaced the power steering rack 2 years ago, but that's the only major problem I've had.

But still, I'd have traded it for $4,500 if I could get my act together.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2009
  12. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Problems of course, vary by specific unit. I'd already had a price quote to fix rear main oil seal leak of over 1,000. The valve cover replacement requires removal of fuel injection system, at least 250.00. The starter issue requires removal of front 4 X 4 mechanical, quoted over 400.00. Still not sure where antifreeze was going. But every now and then, it would be very low and start getting hot requiring fluids.

So, for me, the decision was made easier... better for the environment, and better for me to get that one off the roads, oil leaks and all.

13. wrx1

wrx1

Nov 1, 2007
    Maplewood MN
    So did you get the gov't cash?? My friend has been waiting a week for his. He is not taking delivery on the car until the dealership gets his paperwork submitted. He found in the fine print that if you take delivery on the car/truck that if the gov't doesn't get the money to the dealer, the end consumer has to pay the dealership the money. The dealership he is going through can only get 1 deal sent in a day. So of the 60 cars that they sold, so far only 6 have been approved through the gov't.

14. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    Yep, I heard cash for clunkers ran out of cash...that stinks

15. luke_28

luke_28

May 12, 2008
    North
    Ohhh...this doesn't sound good.

Hopefully everything works out well for you Doug.

16. jerryshenk

jerryshenk

Jan 8, 2009
    PA
    Oh man...the fine print is always a bummer! That almost sounds like bait'n'switch!

17. My 220,000 mile 2000 Toyota 4 Runner kicks all you car's butts.

It's dark green, has a hood scoop that looks like a gun turrent.

We affectionately refer to him as....

Frank The Tank.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2009
  18. goffer

goffer

Nov 22, 2007
    San Diego
    i'm trying to do this as well with my '95 v8 thunderbird for a 09 Accord Coupe V6... sadly it doesnt qualify because my Thunderbird gets 18 combined MPG and the Accord gets 20 combined (at least that is what the site tells me) strange thing is if i go to www.fueleconomy.gov it rates the Accord at a combined 22mpg so technically it is approved. I tried calling them but kept getting told that they couldnt do anything... I'm bitter :( 

19. When getting a new car, you need at 10 MPG improvement to qualify for the full $4500 rebate (and I think a 4 MPG improvement to qualify for the $3500 rebate). When getting an SUV (or light truck), you only need a 5 MPG improvement to qualify for the full $4500, and I think 2 MPG for the $3500 rebate... YMMV! :smile:

Check out cars.gov for the details.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.