Photo Mechanic

Certainly none of the programs I've ever used do that.
No program can take any action when it is not open but note that when you install programs, many of them also install helpers (daemons) that run in the background whenever the computer is booted.

These daemons are typically used to detect events, e.g., plugging in a card reader, and to trigger an action, e.g., launching the main program, when such events are detected.

No program can take any action when it is not open but note that when you install programs, many of them also install helpers (daemons) that run in the background whenever the computer is booted.

These daemons are typically used to detect events, e.g., plugging in a card reader, and to trigger an action, e.g., launching the main program, when such events are detected.
Thanks for explaining that. I had never heard of it.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I'd like to get clarity about programs that "open" automatically to ingest the contents of a memory card once it is inserted into the card reader. I'm taking that to mean that if the program is on the computer system but is not running, it automatically loads rather than requiring the user to click anything to load it. Is my understanding correct?

I've never heard of a program doing that. Certainly none of the programs I've ever used do that. What programs do it?
The program does not need to be running, or have a "daemon" running.

The ability to automatically open a program when something happens such as inserting media, is a feature built into Windows called AutoPlay.
What happens after the program opens depends on the program. For example it might play a DVD that you insert in a drive. Or it might ingest photos.

To understand this, and find which programs you have installed that can do this for a camera card, go to Control Panel (the traditional one, not Windows Settings), then Default Programs, then click on Change AutoPlay Settings.
Now under Camera Card, you will see Memory Card, and next to that is a pulldown. Open the pulldown and you may be surprised!

Thanks, Richard!

To understand this, and find which programs you have installed that can do this for a camera card, go to Control Panel (the traditional one, not Windows Settings), then Default Programs, then click on Change AutoPlay Settings.
Now under Camera Card, you will see Memory Card, and next to that is a pulldown. Open the pulldown and you may be surprised!
I did that and the only programs listed that can import a photo are Lightroom 8, DropBox and Photo (perhaps that's an application I've never noticed that comes with Windows 10). I don't have Lightroom 8 installed on my system but I do have Lightroom CC installed, so maybe it means Lightroom Version 8 or later. Regardless, I wouldn't want to configure Lightroom 8 to import the images because I use Lightroom only for its Book module. I also wouldn't want to configure DropBox or Photo to make that happen.

I had never heard of Auto Play. Is there anything you don't know about an operating system?

The program does not need to be running, or have a "daemon" running.
AutoPlay as you describe it, is an arch typical daemon. It runs in the background, listens for events, e.g., insertion of media and takes actions based on those events e.g., trigger a third party program that has registered with it.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Thanks, Richard!

I did that and the only programs listed that can import a photo are Lightroom 8, DropBox and Photo (perhaps that's an application I've never noticed that comes with Windows 10). I don't have Lightroom 8 installed on my system but I do have Lightroom CC installed, so maybe it means Lightroom Version 8 or later. Regardless, I wouldn't want to configure Lightroom 8 to import the images because I use Lightroom only for its Book module. I also wouldn't want to configure DropBox or Photo to make that happen.

I had never heard of Auto Play. Is there anything you don't know about an operating system?
Since you have Lightroom CC you should surely also have Adobe Bridge CC installed? That is the Adobe program I would expect you to use for this, and it would show up on that pulldown.

Since you have Lightroom CC you should surely also have Adobe Bridge CC installed?
No, I have no need for Adobe Bridge, so I have never installed it.

My cataloging software (IDimager PhotoSupreme) is at the center of my photo workflow. Photos are ingested and culled in PhotoSupreme, then handed off from within PhotoSupreme directly to Photoshop/ACR, then saved to the computer system, then cataloged using PhotoSupreme, and when I want to find a photo I use PhotoSupreme to make that happen. I also use PhotoSupreme to create slide shows viewed on my television. When I want to print a book, PhotoSupreme hands off the photos to be included in the book to Lightroom Classic CC.

Last edited:
I'd like to get clarity about programs that "open" automatically to ingest the contents of a memory card once it is inserted into the card reader. I'm taking that to mean that if the program is on the computer system but is not running, it automatically loads rather than requiring the user to click anything to load it. Is my understanding correct?
Yes. I'm not sure it's that unusual. Just yesterday I inserted an audio cd into an older Mac laptop and it automatically loaded iTunes. I didn't want to load iTunes so I actually don't like when programs do that. I'm sure there's a preference somewhere.

Yes, in the Mac there is a preference so that the user can determine which programs will open when specific devices are used, such as Photos when one plugs in an SD card reader and so on. I think it is in Image Capture where one can pull up a menu and set it so that no software program opens up when one connects a memory card full of images or plugs in the camera itself. I'm not sure but I think the one for audio CDs and such is probably in the iTunes or Music preference settings, can't recall right now.

I found that I do still have an active copy of Fast Raw Viewer on this computer, but like Glenn and PM, I had stopped using it and forgotten that I still had it.

Comparing PM and FRV, I find that they perform about equally but FRV has more capabilities.

Comparing PM and FRV, I find that they perform about equally but FRV has more capabilities.
Probably depends on individual needs. Personally not so sure FRV has more capability over PM (It doesn't have the text substitution which is PM's strong USP) but FRV does hold its own when it comes to speed for review and culling. The text substitution thing is PM's forte and a strong one but one that is really only relevant to a certain subset of users (for such users, I can imagine it is gold).

Also, unlike many RAW tools that "cheat" by showing the embedded JPG files, FRV actually renders your RAW files and still manages to keep up on speed with, and surpass many, tools that merely load jpgs.

If you set it to mimic Adobe rendering, your preview will be similar to what you will see in Adobeware. This might be useful for those using Adobeware as the RAW tools that pull the internal jpgs will show the camera's rendering and they might see something a bit different when opening in LR or other Adobeware.

I'm trying out PM now and I have a problem seeing photos in full-screen view. When I double-click on a thumbnail image I get a pop-up small window with another small thumbnail view. I think I got a full-screen view when I first installed PM but I can't seem to get that now.

What am I doing wrong?

I did sometimes take large numbers of photos and I am pretty happy with free Nikon software. I can set backups, change to ingest with file names and with NX-I, input basic captions. rate with one keystroke and batch convert to JPEG, assuming I had time to convert before posting. If I didn't, I would just shoot in JEG.

I'm trying out PM now and I have a problem seeing photos in full-screen view. When I double-click on a thumbnail image I get a pop-up small window with another small thumbnail view. I think I got a full-screen view when I first installed PM but I can't seem to get that now.

What am I doing wrong?
If you have not solved this yet Jim, just call them, they have very good customer service.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom