1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Photo paper

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Carole, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Carole

Carole

Jun 15, 2008
    Bellingham, WA
    I just got a new printer so that I can print my own photos (up to 8X10). It's an HP and came with HP paper. I also had some Epson paper hanging around here from my other printer.

For those who do their own printing, which paper do you use? I want paper that doesn't have a company name plastered all over the back (like HP and Epson do). Is there a good place to order online? I'll just be making prints to sell at the local holiday fair, but I want good color.

There also used to be a paper made by Xerox called Xerox Color Inkjet Canvas Paper (#3R5766). I can't find it anywhere so I don't know if it's still made or not. Xerox was NO help when I contacted them. Does anyone know where I can find this or similar paper? My tall ships look amazing on this paper.

Thanks,
    Carole

2. chettrick

chettrick

Jun 12, 2008
    florida
    I am not a printing expert but I have always heard that use HP paper for HP printer, Epson paper for Epson printers, sticking brand to brand.

I have also seen prints from other papers than HP on HP printers and some years later it faded while the HP paper still looked good. But with digital now, by the time the paper fdes, you will have a new printer and can reprint.

3. Carole, For my Canon Ip4000 I have pretty much stuck with the Canon Photo paper Plus Gloosy for 4x6 prints. I have recently used the Office Depot Professional PP 4x6 with good result also. For many years I have and still use Kodak Ultima Picture Paper
    8.5x11 inch for 8x10's. BTW I used the Kodak years ago even when I owned a HP.

I stock up on paper when I can find it on SALE!

4. I pretty much use Ilford, specifically Smooth Pearl on my Epson R1800.

5. Red river makes some very nice papers. I have also liked the results with Canon Photo paper plus glossy, and Inpress luster (on Canon, Epson, & HP printers).

6. KeithR

KeithR

Jun 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    I have used a variety of papers from various brands, I can recommend Hawk Mountain Papers. They sell online and the quality is great. And they're very affordable. They also have profiles for a number of their papers.
    http://www.hawkmtnartpapers.com/

7. Carole

Carole

Jun 15, 2008
    Bellingham, WA
    Thanks, everyone! It's not that I'm not happy with my prints from HP or Epson papers, I just don't like the idea that they splash their name all over the back of the paper. For my own use, that's OK, but I think if I'm selling prints at a holiday fair, I'd prefer paper with no name on the back.

I'll go check the places you all suggested :) 

Thanks!
    Carole

8. But you do want a paper that, when matched with the manufacturer's inks, will have long permanence - you don't want a buyer to come back in 5 years asking for their money when the color shifts or degrades.

Sean

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.