Photo Printer...

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by shadow, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Was reading Popular Photography last night and they had a review of the $500 photo printers. Along with those they had "runners up" that were in the $199 to $299 range.

I'm no professional and am not looking to get into a "pro" type printer. But I would like the ability to print my own when I want and at my convenience. To top that off, My dad has an Oly P&S and my mom is always taking a disk to some store to get 4x6's printed off.

I'm looking for a reasonably priced photo printer that is capable of printing 8x10's on occaision but will generate quality 5x7's and 4x6's. Can anyone tell me of their experience with the model they are currently using.

Thanks.

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I'm using an Epson R1800, Photo 1200 and Oly P440 dye sub. The Epsons are large format, 13' wide, the 1200 is long obsolete, the R1800 the newest. Personally, I like the look of the older dye based printers better.
    The Epson R300, 320 look decent given what you want to do. I like the Epsons, I've had 4 so far and been pleased with all of them.
    The single most important thing for getting acceptable prints is to calibrate your monitor. I resisted for years and was very lucky in that the 1200 printed great out of the box, the drivers only needed a slight tweak which was easy. The R1800 is a different story, but is much better now that my monitor is properly calibrated. The smaller version, the R800, has the pigmented inks, which, while more permanent, don't have the same zip as the dye-based inks.
    Just my opinions.

4. RNeal

RNeal

Oct 15, 2005
    Tennessee
    I second the Epson R800/R1800 (I have the R1800). They use the same ink, the R800 is good for up to 8.5X11 and the R1800 can print up to 13X19 (or longer for panos).

They both have a unique "gloss optimizer" cartridge that produces the best glossy prints of any Epson printer. The Canon I9900 (which I also had) is a great printer, too, but it uses dye inks that are said to fade faster than the pigment inks used by Epson.

But, I wonder about the cost per print as compared to online services such as Ophoto or Shutterfly. Both services are great and probably less expensive overall than DIY. But with your own printer you have lots more flexibility and control over color management, papers, sizes, etc. Not to mention the "instant gratification", which is part of the appeal of digital in the first place, and you can experiment.

5. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Another vote for the R800/1800. The quality is excellent, especially on glossy paper.

6. hamsey

hamsey

Mar 9, 2005
    Another vote for the Epsons!

Norm

7. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    I have been using a Canon Pixma i4200 for a couple of months and have been happy with it. I used to have a Epson 780 that gave me a lot of problems with clogged heads and so I decided to try a Canon printer. I believe the newer Epsons do not have problems with clogged heads but I picked the Canon as I wanted a general purpose printer that is fast and prints decent photos.

8. I use a Canon S9000 (the predecessor to the i9900) for occasional prints, and for anything larger than 8.5 x 11 (up to 13 x 19). I'm very happy with the results I've gotten from the printer, and especially more recently since going through the process of calibrating specific papers for it using the Gregtag-Macbeth eyeOne system.

However, I simply can't justify the cost of using it for "every day" types of printing, and have lately been using Costco for most of my printing needs (especially since you can now upload pics online for printing at your local store). When you consider the cost of paper, ink, and personal time, I don't think you can beat the price of the online services and places where you can upload images from a CD/CF Card, etc.

9. I love my R800. I got a $100 rebate on mine.

10. After several years of clogging heads on my Epson photo printer I purchased a Canon i9100 couple of years ago. Never had another head problem and it produces nice 8.5x11 & 13x19 prints but it is expensive to run, seems like I was always ordering ink ($10.95/cartridge) and paper ($20/10 13 X 19 Sheets & $19/30 8.5 X 11).

This past summer I started sending my files to WHCC and have been getting excellent prints at very reasonable prices, plus quick turn around. For quick and dirty proofs I upload the files to our local Walgreens where I can pick them up an hour later.

At this point I would have to seriously question if I would spend the money on another ink jet photo printer.