1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Photo shoot with Hannah in the Los Angeles Art District!

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by Jonathan F/2, Aug 7, 2018.

1. I'm back again with another photo shoot! I had the pleasure working with Hannah, a recently signed agency model. I shot everything with the Sony A7III + Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art (F-Mount) + Commlite ENF-E1 Pro AF adapter. Photos were processed in ACR, minor touch-ups in PS CC and then given a final output treatment in DXO Filmpack 5. Check it out!

30031847558_ee68157ef4_b.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Photo Shoot with model Hannah Burns - August 5th 2018 by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

28964547637_bc9f1fe049_b.jpg

Photo Shoot with model Hannah Burns - August 5th 2018 by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

42092300090_ae9c56d23f_b.jpg

42092310880_5f8fcbfcb5_b.jpg

42996643355_985cf073c0_b.jpg

42092352120_16681339a5_b.jpg

43901201741_40561d7da5_b.jpg

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Love these creations! Great poses, light and processing!

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. 4 and 5 are very well done, and 7 uses that brick wall to the max. Well done.

4. Beautiful soft light, you picked the right time for this. They're all fantastic.

5. Thanks guys! If there ever was a reason for going mirrorless, continuous Eye-AF in the Sony A7III is a game changer for portrait shooters. I could shoot framing the photo from any position while the camera automatically locks onto the eyes. My hit rate shooting near or wide open was very high, almost near perfect. Sigma glass also seems quite future proof due to it's ability to render with amazing acuity. I'd probably get an A7RIII, but I don't really have the processing power or storage space to shoot 42mp images! :D  24mp is perfect for event style and heavy volume shooters like me.

I'm waiting to see how the Nikon mirrorless announcement pans out before making an drastic gear choices, because the A7III ticks a lot of boxes for me.

6. Tinstafl

Tinstafl

Aug 6, 2008
    Virginia
    I am waiting too but if it is not there the Sony is next. Love these shots.

7. Like I mentioned earlier, the Eye-AF is amazing. If you look at the eyes you can somewhat see the pinpoint detailing. It's amazingly accurate and for people photography it's hard to go back to a DSLR!

8. Tinstafl

Tinstafl

Aug 6, 2008
    Virginia
    I do mostly people so it is probably going to be Sony soon.

9. The great thing is being able to really compose anywhere in the viewfinder and then customize one of your buttons to activate Eye-AF. Once it locks on you can fire away and know with almost 99% certainty it's in focus. The 1% only accounts for the subject movement of the model!

Sample detailing of Eye-AF focused on just the eye:
    Screen Shot 2018-08-10 at 9.57.05 AM.png

The entire shot:
    30031446568_ef00697e3d_b.jpg

The only reason I'd rather go with a Nikon mirrorless is mainly due to better repair and warranty support. Also I find the Sony glass good, but I still prefer how Nikon and even Sigma glass renders. Plus I still like having DSLRs for action photography. My ultimate wish to consolidate everything into one brand, one set of lenses and possibly one set of batteries! :D 

10. Nice session, not sure about #6. Maybe at the front of the scooter where the handlebars are higher? The hip and back angle distract from the nice, soft hand placement.

11. McQ

McQ Just your average, everyday moderator. Moderator

Another great series, Jonathan. She looks great and the various compositions are excellent. Can't find one I don't like.

That camera and lens combo is a killer, man!

12. Thanks Glenn! Golden hour is the best. You just can't recreate that kind of light even in a studio. There's also a unique look when shooting in an urban area where the environment shape the lights and shadows. :) 

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Very commercial look. Great job. ;) 

14. jebster

jebster

Mar 8, 2006
    Pennsylvania
    Jeff
    Great model and photos !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.