Photo shop in Washington, DC

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by C2020, Jun 14, 2007.

1. I recently satisfied an attack of NAS by purchasing a Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8. We are going on vacation to Washington, DC next week and I realized I needed a fast walk around lens for indoor shots at the Smithsonian museums, ( I also got a Manfrotto 679 monopod and 3232 head). Everything arrived fine but now I need a 72mm UV or MC filter. We only have Ritz cameras in my area and I've never been happy with their offerings--Quantaray or nothing.

Does anyone know of a adorama-type camera store in Washington, DC or in the area of Stafford, VA? Right now I'm switching the 72mm filter between the 18-200mm VR and the Sigma 18-50mm, it's a pain.I hope to make the processes quick and painless so my wife doesn't get upset with "another purchase" and leave me stranded somewhere I'd rather not be. Oh, by the way, I also bought a 2GB memory card so I'd have enough space for all my shots, (it was a serious attack).

Any help in this matter would be appreciated.

2. Penn Camera is right in Washington, DC and in the MD/VA suburbs.

District of Columbia

E Street

840 E Street, NW
    Washington, DC 20004
    Phone: (202) 347-5777
    Fax: (202) 347-6292
    Store Hours:
    8:30am-6pm Monday-Friday
    10am-5pm Saturday
    Closed Sunday
    18th Street

1015 18th Street, NW
    Washington, DC 20036
    Phone: (202) 785-7366
    Fax: (202) 785-4171
    Store Hours:
    8:30am-6pm Monday-Friday
    Closed Saturday
    Closed Sunday

3. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    I would recommend Penn as well. The E Street store rents lenses too if that is an option. You can download the lenses available for rent from their web site.

4. Thanks Connie and Chris for the information, I'm going to check their web site now and plan to stop there next week.

5. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    I third the recommendation for Penn Camera. I have used the E Street store many times for equipment rentals.

6. Of the two DC stores I like the one on E Street.

7. Doc Savage

Doc Savage Guest

I have used the Rockville, MD store on many occaisions - and they are terrific! Very knowledgeable, friendly, and willing to go into as much detail as you want about a particular item. Their inventory is large, and their used equipment is fun to dig through.

They also have a 1 hour lab in the store and they'll print up to 13X19 in the store (maybe a bit smaller, I think). I've never seen so many camera bags in one place of every type...

The store sits right off of Rockville Pike (Wisconsin Avenue) just a few miles from the D.C. line, near a bunch of hotels.

Just .02 from a FF/Medic in Montgomery County...

8. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    I was in DC last week and visited some of the museums. I carried my D70 with the 18-200VR and was very happy with my decision. The lighting inside most of the museums is very inadequate and the VR function really helped me out. I shot most at f/4 1/4 and managed to get a lot of keepers. Needless to say I was very surprised and impressed. I got back just last night and viewed the pictures on my PC for the first time, will need to adjust levels and sharpen a tad but overall was very happy with the way the 18-200 performed. Glad I did not lug my D2H with the 17-55.

9. I hang out at the Tysons Penn Camera store a lot, and every time I go to my dentist in Rockville, I always stop in at the Penn Camera there, too! LOL! Excellent stores, excellent service. I've bought most of my major gear either there or at Ace Photo (which is out in Ashburn, VA, a bit far for you when you'll be right in DC itself).

Hey, Shekhar, glad that you had a good time in DC and that you were so successful with your 18-200mm in the museums! Looking forward to seeing what you shot....

10. dsp921

dsp921

May 16, 2006
    I'm happy to see this thread, I'm going to DC the last week of June and I think I'll look into renting a 17-35 for the museums from Penn. Thanks for the information. It's even nicer when you don't have to ask....