Photo transfer from PC to Mac

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by Rick727, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Rick727

Rick727

Jun 1, 2007
    Hamilton, NJ
    I recently made the switch from PC to Mac. I have pictures on my PC harddrive that I would like to transfer to my new computer. The PC runs XP pro and does not have a cd/dvd burner. Any easy ways to do this?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2007
  2. Snipps

Snipps

Oct 7, 2006
    I'd suggest maybe buying an external Hard Drive and then loading them onto the external then onto the mac. An external HD is a good thing to have for backup, anyway.

3. peterparker

peterparker

Jun 2, 2006
    Houston
    - connect the 2 computers via Ethernet and use network sharing
    - if the PC has firewire, put the Mac in Target mode

4. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    to do networking you will need a crossover cable or a patch cable if using a hub but the ext hd would be the easier of the two and you could use it on the Mac

5. Depends....

How big is the pile of picture files? a couple of GB or hundreds of GB.

If the pile is relatively small, 2GB thumb drives are usually sold as loss leaders at the big box electronic and office supply stores for around $10-12.

If the pile is larger, then the previous poster's recommendation of an external HD is a good one. Your PC is unlikely to have firewire, so a USB drive would be needed. 200-300GB are routinely on sale at the usual suspect's stores for about $90.

If you can get both the PC and the Mac on a home network, the zero cost solution is to share the files on the PC, go to the Finder on the Mac, select the Go menu, then Connect to Server. The finder should see the share and allow you to open it and copy the files.

If you are new to the Mac, I suggest you buy one of the "Missing Manual" series of books.

6. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Andrew nailed it. External HD is the easiest way to go.

7. peterparker

peterparker

Jun 2, 2006
    Houston
    Yes, let me be clearer. I meant to directly connect the two computers via Ethernet. The Mac can autosense and do the crossover automatically, no crossover cable needed.

8. Rick727

Rick727

Jun 1, 2007
    Hamilton, NJ
    Thanks to everyone for the quick replys.

Peter, unfortunately, my old PC doesn't have an Ethernet output.:frown:

Sounds like the best solution for me now would be to get an external hard drive. I had planned on getting one eventually anyway to do back-ups on, but hadn't thought of using it to transfer my pictures. Now I've got to do some research on hard drives and keep an eye out for sales. I see there is currently a discusion on hd's in the PC forum.

Thanks again to everyone for your help.

9. External hard drive is definitely the best way to go with this... That is what I did when I first bought my G5 iMac and had all my images on a WIN XP Pro machine. Good brands for HDs already formatted for the Mac: LaCie, G-Technology.

10. peterparker

peterparker

Jun 2, 2006
    Houston
    You can check on LaCie's clearance items here.

11. AISBLE

AISBLE

Nov 29, 2006
    RI
    Most of the equipment from this link is labeled as "reconditioned". Has anyone had any experience buying some of this reconditioned equipment?

12. Stephen Fox

Stephen Fox Guest

I am in the exact same position. I setup my new mac pro (in 10 mins) and thought how to transfer my photos. I simply networked to to together, amazingly easy to do.

I shall be stripping my PC and selling the components and have a USB2 drive caddy just to view the old hard drive if any old docs or files are necessary in future.

Mac's are great aren't they - I should have switched years ago!

13. OK, here's another thought:

Step 1: stop by CompUSA or some other local store and buy a combo USB/Firewire enclosure. I've seen them for 40 bucks or so.

Step 2: remove the drive from your PC, pop it into the enclosure, plug it in to the Mac and copy the image files.

Step 3: return the drive to the PC

Step 4: wait until one of the big box stores has a great sale on bare ATA hard drives. I've seen 300GB WD drives as cheap as $60. Buy one, put it in the enclosure and you have your backup solution.

Just a thought. And, BTW, if you have a free expansion slot on your pc, ethernet cards can be had for $10 or so. I guess this qualifies as a second thought. :biggrin:

14. Rick727

Rick727

Jun 1, 2007
    Hamilton, NJ
    Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to answer my question.

Connie and David, thanks for the recomendations.

Stephen, I agree with you 100%. Wish I would have switched years ago too.

Doug, thanks for your suggestions. Might be a cheaper route to go and allow more money to spend on photography gear.:biggrin:

15. Rick727

Rick727

Jun 1, 2007
    Hamilton, NJ
    Sorry, but I need your help again. I connected my PC to my Mac with an ethernet cable. The Mac can't see the PC. How does the autosense work?

16. peterparker

peterparker

Jun 2, 2006
    Houston
    The autosense just means you don't need a crossover Ethernet cable. You still need to connect the 2 computers via file sharing. You can do the sharing from the Windows or the Mac. See this to help with connection to Windows file sharing. Let me know if you need assistance.

17. Rick727

Rick727

Jun 1, 2007
    Hamilton, NJ
    Peter, I appreciate you trying to help me.

I keep getting an error message when trying to connect to the PC. The message I get is: "The operation cannot be completed because one or more required items cannot be found. (error code -43).

I get this message after entering the workgroup, name and password from the PC. I've triple checked what I'm entering and I'm pretty sure it's right. If I look on the PC and check the network connection, it states the connection is active.

18. peterparker

peterparker

Jun 2, 2006
    Houston
    Check the 3 causes listed here. Also, any spaces in the share name?

19. I'm going to be doing the same transfer soon. If I transfer via an external hard drive (ie: copy photos from PC to drive and copy onto MBP) how should the transfer drive be formatted? HFS, FAT32 or NFTS?

20. Rick727

Rick727

Jun 1, 2007
    Hamilton, NJ
    No spaces or invalid characters in share name. If I try connecting without the share name I get error -36. I did some looking on the net, but as far as I can tell my PC should be set up to use encrypted passwords. The PC uses XP Professional. How can I check if this is actually the case on my PC?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2007