Photo trip to New Mexico - Need suggestions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TomD., Sep 13, 2008.

1. TomD.

TomD.

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, Texas
    I planning a 3 day photo trip to the Albuquerque - Sante Fe - Taos region in the next couple of weeks. The focus is pueblos and the New Mexican culture. Stop include:
    Taos Pueblo, Tent Rocks, Pecos, National Historical Park. High Road to Taos, Acoma Pueblo. What nuggets am I missing in this region?
    Thanks,
    Tom

2. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Tom :

Bandelier National Monument, Rio Grande Gorge Bridge, Ghost Ranch, Pedernal Mountain, Abiquiu area, Chaco Canyon, Sandia Mountain tramway, the Balloon Fiesta, museums of many types, aspens everywhere.

What kinds of things are you interested in ?

And it's Santa Fe, not Sante Fe, BTW...

John P.

3. First thing I can say after about a dozen trips is you are packing in wayyyyy too much for three days. Tent rocks is at least 1/2 day if you complete the trail. If you are gonna take alot of pics and stops, High road to Taos from ABQ. is at least that long as well if not more. The order of my list of must see places changes with every trip to this enchanted land.

If you have not been forget any detailed set of plans because you will get sidetracked over and over on the way to your goal. I will say that if you are staying in ABQ to for sure take the Sandia Tram to the peak. It's a beautiful ride and you can get some great shots from up there and get back down in less than 3 hours if you like. Figure a 10-15 degree drop in temp.

Can't say much about Pueblos. I have been only to a couple and drove through Jemez and generally they didn't do much for me at all. Check on photo restrictions and for sure by the permit.

Oh, if you are heading to Santa Fe from abq, try and take the turquois trail (14) up instead of 25. Way more fun and scenic and Madrid is fun. Where the greater part of wild hogs was shot.

Have fun in The Land of Entrapment.
    Glenn

ps you'd love the views from where my avatar is but that's another trip another time. lol

4. Tom -

I suspect you might be trying to cram too much into too few days.

As John and Glenn have said, there are opportunities everywhere, perhaps best realized if you'd slow down, get out of the car, walk around and pause for a while to soak it all in.

Apart from the suggestions above, the trout streams along the boundaries of Philmont could be very rewarding also.

Eric

5. TomD.

TomD.

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, Texas
    Native American culture, Southwest Architecture, Landsacapes

6. TomD.

TomD.

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, Texas
    Great suggestions. Thanks. I probably need to slow down this trip and see less.

7. That's your best bet Tom. Plan one thing a day. I promise that when that is done you can drive in any direction you desire without any plan at all and be spellbound. You can easily spend a full day or more just driving from abq to and through Jemez springs to Valles Caldera and back.

glenn

8. For pueblos: the best for photos are Acoma, Laguna, and Taos. The first two are west of ABQ so may be out of your way. For landscapes: Chaco, Bisti Badlands (very close to Chaco), high road to Taos (If you are coming later in Sept, the aspens in higher elevations will be changing), Abiquiu/Chama River/Plaza Blanca, Tent Rocks, red rocks of Jemez. Architecture is just about everywhere: Old Town ABQ, Canyon Road Santa Fe, Turquoise Trail.

Bring plenty of memory!

9. TomD.

TomD.

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, Texas
    high road to Taos
    Is there any differance in driving Taos to Santa Fe?

Thanks Dave

10. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Tom :

Going from SF to Taos is the preferred route. You're on an ascent for a fair part of the way, can make stops at spots like El Santuario de Chimayo, and you can then stop in PeƱasco at Sugar Nymphs for lunch and a scrumptious dessert. Villages like Truchas are extremely beautiful, especially as the season is shifting. You'll need to allow a good four hours, with some extra for various stops, for the High Road drive.

John P.

11. BubbaBob

BubbaBob

Feb 28, 2006
    Tent Rocks is closed for an indefinite period (probably several weeks or a month) due to trail and road destruction in recent rainstorms.

12. We plan to do the route from Taos down to Santa Fe in a couple of weeks for the High Road Studio Tour . We'll start with brunch at Sugar Nymphs in Penasco and work our way south. If your plan is to do photography, it all depends on where you want to be for the good light. There are wonderful areas to photograph all along the road. If you want to combine architecture and culture, the Taos Pueblo, church at Rancho de Taos (made famous by O'Keeffe), and Chimayo will provide you with plenty. If I remember correctly, Chimayo is in best light in late afternoon, but it will also have many, many more people then.

13. TomD.

TomD.

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, Texas
    Thanks BB about Tent Rocks.
    I am now looking at the following:
    Evening: I fly in stay in Albuquerque
    Day1 Drive to Acoma Pueblo for first your at 8:00 AM
    Drive to Santa Fe area and take High Road to Taos arriving by 7PM
    Day2 Photography church at Rancho de Taos again, Arrive at Taos Publeo @ 8:00 AM
    Drive High Road to Taos's again back to Santa Fe with morning light??
    Midday in Santa Fe to shoot doors and windows and visit galleries on Canyon Road.
    Late afternoon: Pecos Pueblo @ Pecos National Historical Park
    Spend Saturday evening and grab a great meal in Santa Fe
    Sunday AM ????
    Sunday 11pm or 2PM- Pueblo Culture Center -
    Evening fly home

David,
    Looked at your site. Beautiful work and very interesting tours! I noticed that there are areas of wild horses on the High Road to Taos. Are the chances of seeing the horses from the road remote? Trying decide if it worth lugging the 200 - 400 with me.
    Thanks again for everyone taking time to contribute to this thread. I usually get to sneak away 1 weekend a year for such a trip and like to make the most of it! Last year it was Canyon de Chelly which was great, but I spent more time driving then doing anything else.
    Tom

14. Best advice, if you really plan to be at one spot at a specific time and and the routes are new, drive with blinders on. It is the only way you can go for more than 10 miles without wanting to pull over someplace.

15. Generally you can't catch many of the horses from the main roads. I believe the wild horse areas up by Taos are mostly deep in the forest.

The one exception is I-25N as it passes San Felipe Pueblo north of ABQ. North of the San Felipe exit up to Budaghers (the next main exit) look to the east. San Felipe has hundreds of free roaming horses. Technically not wild, as the Pueblo owns them, but they have never been domesticated nor touched by human hand, so they are extremely wild in behavior. Once in a while you will see lots of them grazing, easily visible from the highway. There is plenty of room to pull off onto the shoulder, should you see them. Is it worth bringing the 200-400 just for this chance? Probably not. But pretty cool to watch them a while if they are there. Remember that photography is strictly off limits on this reservation, but you are in safe territory along I-25.

I hope you have a great visit. I'm a native Dallasite, lived most of my life in Austin, then made the mistake of visiting New Mexico too many times.... and ended up living here! If chance permits, drop me an email. Perhaps we can meet up and shoot some together while you are in the ABQ area. Thanks for the nice words.

16. TomD.

TomD.

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, Texas
    Thanks again David. Meeting up would be great. I will touchbase as my plan are finalized.
    Tom

17. Hotplate

Hotplate

Oct 23, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I'll be up in that area the end of October to visit family and get lost on some dirt roads with my camera. I usually come home from that trip with one or two photos that really make the trip for me. NM is probably my favorite place for a photography based trip. I got a few new names for places to look for out of this thread, so thanks for asking the question Tom an enjoy yourself. Like David, I hope to end up in that area down the road.

18. Pueblo de Taos, Rancho de Taos, all of the surrounds.
    One could spend days there.
    Taos has 3 or 4 good/great restaurants.

lots of pictures there
    We plan on two weeks there in the Spring

20060525swtaos200126ediii0.jpg

20060524swtaos00136qm0.jpg

[​IMG]

20060525swtaos2001392jpnz2.jpg

19. Seems no matter where you go in the world someone can ruin a wonderfully crafted home with cheap Kmart lawnchairs.
    glenn

20. TomD.

TomD.

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, Texas
    Nice images!
    If you get a chance can you send me a e-mail with your dining recommendations. Do remember if Taos Pueblo main structure has better light in the AM or PM?
    Thanks,
    Tom