Photo trip to Nice - Disaster

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Luckynp, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Really nice trip this weekend, great photo opportunites. Then I went and dropped the D2X, with 70-200 VR, attached heavily on the tarmac when getting out of a taxi. Camera and maybe lens kaput.

Happily I'm fully insured, but I'm devastated and feel very very stupid.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Sooooo sorry Mike. As you may know, I recently fell and dropped my D2H and 300 2.8 heavily on big rocks, so I know just how you feel. I wasn't on vacation in France though. I feel really bad for you. :frown:

3. That's a shame. I catch myself acting irresponsible with my camera sometimes i.e. slinging it over my shoulder, changing hands quickly, holding it awkwardly, etc., and tell myself that one of these times I'm going to drop the damn thing. I've had a couple of close calls so far...one including water...but nothing has happened yet. I'm not insured whatsoever - so - that's one thing that you can be thankful for.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Mike ,
    Really sorry to hear about your equipment.

Can just imaginge how you feel. Hope it gets repaired and back to you soon.

5. Yikes Mike, that is terrible. Hope all goes well with the repairs. I guess that leaves you without a camera on your trip, sad.

6. Smart to have insurance. Very smart.

I'm insured through State Farm.
    Coverage does not,I think, make me incautious. It does allow me to haul my gear around with peace of mind.

So sorry to hear of your misfortune.
    Let us know how the camera is and how the claim is handled.

BTW "you" falling and being seriously would have been "disastrous", particularly in a foreign country.
    A friend fell in a Paris hotel shower and fractured her humerous...bad experience despite very good medical care with the language barrier. Another friend had an MI is Singapore while doing missionary work.

Gear damage it merely unfortunate and inconvenient. By careful with your wellbeing. I'm glad YOU are ok.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2005
  7. Thanks guys. This is just the place to come to get sympathy in just the right words. There are times you really need to hear people say: sorry and we've all been there.

I'm counting my blessings now:

1 It was a 2 day trip and the accident happened when I'd finished shooting on the second day

2 I am pretty fluent in French, so would have been OK in case of a real emergency. Remind me sometime to tell you about my heart attack in Greece a few years ago. Now that really was a disaster.

3 I have spoken to Nikon and they say they try to turn D2Xs around in about 10 days. So I'll send it tomorrow and see what happens.

4 I have kept my D70, so I am not camera-less while I wait. Also, I have tried the 70-200 on the D70 body and it seems fine. I'm going to send it to Nikon for checking anyway.

I'm looking at the pics now and have seen a good few that I really like. So I'll post some over the next few days.

8. nfoto

nfoto Guest

I believe in the wisdom of always having a backup system with me. Plus a small set of jeweller's tools :smile:

Were I to collect all field incidents involving cameras over the last three decades they would probably be enough stuff for a novel. For example, 7 times falling into water with a camera (twice one particular bad or should I say wet day :mad: ) in summer, 5 times falling through ice with camera (obviously in winter), falling down mountain slopes and landing on top of the camera, being overrun by a bus (camera OK, I spent 3 months in hospital), ...., well you get the gist :biggrin: No wonder I believe in bringing backups, and for any longer trips, backup for the backup as well. You can never be careful enough in this business.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2005
  9. Hi Mike from a very very wet and blowy Cornwall.

Well it could certailnly have been a lot worse.Loss of pictures etc.I have insurance also although having said that I have never ever dropped a camera or lens in 45 years. Luck. No way. I get the bit of squeeze that I am going out with at the time to carry it all.

BW. Bob F.

10. Equipment

I feel for you, I like most have had atleast a close encounter with disaster, but after working in a pro geared camera shop and seeing such things many many time I have a mental list I go through as I touch my equipment to limit the chance. It's never a sure thing as you found out. I just hope the repairs or not being able to repair or not cost efective. In any case good luck be thankful it's Nikon not Canon equipment. :wink:

11. This is one of biggest fears. I have not dropped my D70s yet! But, I did have my camera bag fall over with my Olympus 2100 and of course, bag was not fully closed. It fell out, and the mode settings dial hit right on the edge and broke off. I was not happy at all. I was able to salvage it with superglue and everything still works except on/off switch. I just push shutter to turn on and let it time out to turn off. Not ideal at all.

I have been telling myself to call and get my D70s insured! Glad you have yours insured.

12. Good god, man.
    Will anyone insure YOU, much less your gear???????? :biggrin:

They won't if they read this :Exclamati

13. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Ouch Ouch Ouch...... sorry to hear it, but glad to hear about insurance. Coincidentally I have my D2x with 70-200 VR sitting inches from my keyboard as I type.

Good luck on repair or replacement.