Photo Usage Follow Up

Real Name
Mike
Relating to this post: https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/photo-usage-price.319786/

The age old story: A business not respecting the rights of other businesses or individuals to sell their products or services and make money.... I thought I made them a very reasonable offer.

photo conversation 2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A business not respecting the rights of other businesses or individuals to sell their products or services and make money
I disagree that this is an example of that. Just the opposite, this company is paying a subscription and that subscription helps make it possible for the stock agency to acquire the images in its portfolio, which in turn makes it possible for the photographers that supply the stock agency to be paid.

My hunch is that your main complaint is that so many photographers are so willing to provide images at such low fees and that stock agencies and their clients are so willing to conform to such low fees. That would be an accurate assessment, if indeed that's your assessment.

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Many really good pro's realized years ago that prices and demand for prints and print usage was dropping quickly. They transitioned to leading photo tours and have been able to make profitable photography business model providing that service. Leading tours, however, requires quite a bit of effort and the right personality to be really good at it.......

Real Name
Mike
I disagree that this is an example of that. Just the opposite, this company is paying a subscription and that subscription helps make it possible for the stock agency to acquire the images in its portfolio, which in turn makes it possible for the photographers that supply the stock agency to be paid.

My hunch is that your main complaint is that so many photographers are so willing to provide images at such low fees and that stock agencies and their clients are so willing to conform to such low fees. That would be an accurate assessment, if indeed that's your assessment.
I don't believe that is my assessment. I didn't really care if they used my image or not when they first approached. After looking them up, I found that they are a landscape company in Cincinnati, Ohio and the gentleman was a member of several forums I frequent and post, where he obviously saw the image they wanted to use. After asking several of my photographer friends and questions here, and believing they were doing the book for profit, I made them an offer; a very reasonable offer in my opinion. They declined stating they were going with a cheap stock agency that, as you said, pays photographers a very small percentage of what their efforts are worth. This seemed to me that they were a small business not willing to support other local small businesses or entrepreneurs in their efforts. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I'm not out anything at this point and initially had no intention of making anything off the image, or any of my images. I do this for my own enjoyment. If I can make other people happy or help educate them with my images by sharing them online, then great. If the opportunity arises to possibly make some money in the process, then even better.

I did stop short in the online conversation of asking them if they would be interested in doing some landscape work for me. I'd be willing to let them put a sign in my yard so everyone knows who did it.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom