Photo Vest for us big guys...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dbirdsong, Jun 19, 2005.

1. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I am a big guy.. Even though I have lost 30 pounds in the last year, I still wear either a 4x or 5x shirt or jacket.
    Now I have wanted a photo vest for a long time, but I guess that guys my size don't take photos and if they do they must not have much gear... other wise they would make photo vest over 1xl for us to buy.
    With that that in mind I have been looking in sporting good stores for a vest that will work.
    I have looked at Bass Pro Shop where I do buy a lot of my clothes, but the largest size of a fisherman's vest was 2xl, so Saturday I decided to go visit Cabela's in Dundee Michigan after I got done with work.
    I was very happy to find a few different types of vest there that were either 3xl or larger. I really liked a couple shooting jackets, but the largest was a 3xl, they suggested that I check out the safari jackets, which do come in a 5xl size, but the largest they had in stock was a 2xl. It was nice because of the length but the pockets weren't very large. So I headed over to the fly fishing area and found these.
    p020668hzoe.

I wish it was just a little longer, but I can put the following into it. (all in the front pockets)
    sigma 70-300 Super APO
    Tokan 12-24
    Nikkor 28-300
    SB800
    and in the very large back pocket a Sigma 400mm
    In the small pockets I plan on putting in different filters and lens and body caps.
    While I haven't tried yet, I bet I can put a couple small point and shoot cameras I have in it too.
    That allows me to take my 2 D70's with Sigma 24-70 and 70-200 EX lens around my neck or on the shoulder.
    I choose the Mesh vest for $59.99 The regular one is on sale this week for $29.99 Not a bad deal.
    http://www.cabelas.com/...

Now I didn't get a chance to go out shooting today, I did fill it up last night and I found it a lot more comfortable with all my gear in it than my backpack or my shoulder bag.
    I am on vacation at the end of the week so it is going to get a workout.

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the information Dave. I thought that I wanted a photog vest, but everytime I come across one, I shy away from buying it because I think that I won't wear it. Give us a report on your experience wearing it, maybe that will change my mind.

3. Frank, when doing a lot of shooting I wear a vest to good advantage. Last year I had a photo shoot that lasted for two weeks at the Huntsman World Senior Games here in St. George, Utah. An event that draws athletes from all over the world. I found that wearing a vest was invaluable since there is no way I could have worn a back pack for two weeks. It allowed me to carry an acceptable amount of equipment in a fairly comfortable manner.

4. Dave, I wear a vest when shooting in a kayak (except for the really hot summer days). I find it sooo much easier to find all my stuff rather than opening and closing bags and backpacks. The main thing about wearing a vest is getting an organizing system and stick to it so you know exactly what pocket always contains which part, otherwise you'll spend half your time patting down your pockets! *LOL*

5. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    Sandi ,I had to laugh ,I need to organize my pockets badly.I always look like I got ants in my vest trying to find where my cards are.

6. Dave,

Excellent information and appreciated. I have gone through two vests so far. My biggest complaint has been that the neck is not padded enough. When the pockets are loaded, especially if you pack lenses or other heavy objects, a large portion of the wieght from the front pockets is transfered to the back of the neck. It strains my neck and wears on your skin after a long (especially a long hot) day.

Do you find that this vest resolves this problem?

Thanks for sharing.

7. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

today is the first time I have had a chance to shoot all week since I bought the vest and I didn't even put it on, I was with in 40' of my car the whole time. But I start my Vacation this weekend, so I will be giving it a workout over the next week or so. I will post how I like it once I use it in the real world.
    It does seem to be a little more padded than what I have seen with the photo vest I have seen in stores, so I think it will be fine. (Well at least I hope so!) :)

8. Dave,

This is a GREAT deal !

How long are those pockets in the front. Can you really fit 70-300 / 28-300 in there ???

BTW. Price depends on the size - XL mesh was only 37 :)

9. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Well I went out to the Michigan Challenge Balloon fest in Howell Mi. tonight and the weather was very warm, 95ยบ in the shade!
    I put 1 extra lens, my SB800, some filters and a Kodak Z740 camera in the pockets and I found it pretty comfortable to wear.
    The only thing I wish I would have had with me was my Sigma 24-70. But tomorrow I will make sure I have it with me.

Dave

10. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Scott tonight was the first time I have warn it, and even in the heat I found it very comfortable.