Photo Viewer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dburanich, May 2, 2005.

1. I recently purchased a Nikon Coolwalker for an upcoming trip. I wanted something to backup my compact flash cards to. Does anyone have any direct experience with an Epson P-2000. I am hearing it is much better than the Coolwalker but I haven't been able to locate one, everyone is sold out. I still have a few days left to return the Coolwalker. The Coolwalker seems to do the job but it just seems a little slow to me.

2. I use the Photo Library from Iomega and can't help you with your question. I think most of the brands will do the job they were intended for.

3. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

Dave;

The Epson P-2000 is the cats meow in all aspects.

Can't say any more.

Birger

4. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Dave, I'm in the same boat. I want the Epson P-2000 to cover my pictures during an upcome move when I will be away from my computer for a long time. But they are very hard to come by. Even the Epson store is out of stock.

5. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

Just sit down and call every photo outlet that you can find.
    Those in smaller towns or cities may find you one.

Birger

6. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I have a shirt-pocket size Apricorn External USB 40GB Hard Drive that I use for backups and travel, etc.

I saw an ad for a $29 (USD) device that will connect a card reader to an External Hard Drive and transfer the files. The device is about the size of a pack of cigarettes and is battery powered.

It certainly sounds better than carrying my Laptop in some instances. My main question is if the Xfer Box will have enough power to run my External Hard Drive thru the USB.

This is the URL to that device:
    http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=u2-otg

7. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

8. Birger,

Thank You so much for your advice on calling different photo stores. I went on to smart pages under photo equipment dealers picked the city I wanted, tried for someone on the west coast here but picked a different state to save sales tax and it worked. After abot 6 calls I located one in Oregon. They are shipping it out tomorrow. I should have it Wednesday morning. The savings in sales tax more than paid for the overnight shipping.

9. Returned the Coolwalker today. P-2000 should be here tomorrow by the big brown truck.

10. I got my hands on a Look portable storage device, extremely basic but does the job without the bells and whistles. Has a laptop mini 40GB harddrive, has an external power supply (4xAA) but I actually use the Digipower Powerpack 5V which is just terrific for it. Uses flashing lights as indicators of what's happening and is very fast for me. Less than $200Cdn.

11. go to google or whatever search engine you use and type in froogal. Froogle is the shopping version of google. It will show you the best prices and a great selection of retailers that carry a product you want. good for hard to find items. The best way to use it is to just put in something generic like Nikon D2 or DSLR accessories or something of this sort. it will give you a number of dealers. If you are not sure of a dealer, type the name of the dealer in google followed by the word review. Most of the dealers have customer feedback on line. There are even some forums that just rate camera shop dealers and retailers. Sometimes you have to get creative in your search if it is a really hard to find item. This may be the case for the P2000. I found it in a little camera shop in Virginia. Never heard of the shop but was very pleasantly surprised by the excellent customer service and prices. It's amazing how many places there are outside of B&H or Roberts, not that there is anything wrong with either of those. I always go to them first.

Also, I bought a P2000 when no one could find one and I love it. It works well, the battery is small and lasts a long time compared to others.

12. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    That's great Dave! Once you get a chance to use it a bit, please let us know how it does for you, because I think a lot of us are curious about that thing.

13. DaveI have and use the coolwalker, but am interested in getting the p2000 as well. what was the name of the store that had it? I would like to call them.

14. Dave,

I bought it from Shutterbug in downtown Portland oregon.

15. Received the P-2000 today. What can I say, this thing is awesome. Copied a 4gb CF card in about 20 minutes. Screen is very crisp and bright. Battery life seems like its going to be much better than expected. Copied 8gb so far and the meter is still on full. Its a little sluggish when viewing the 30mb NEF files but it has no problem reading them. Without a doubt, much better than the Coolwalker.

16. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    I realize I'm a little late....

to the discussion here, but last month's MacWorld magazine did a pretty thorough testing of these types of devices and the Epson P-2000 came out WAY on top. They said it had the best screen and most intuitive menus, so it looks as if you've made the right choice, Dave.

I too, am interested in one, so I'll look forward to your postings!

17. Epson P-2000

Dave, where did you find a P-2000 in stock?

Thanks,

18. Melissa,
    Shutterbug in Portland has them

(503) 639-5088

Ask for John

19. My goodness, thank you so much. I will call right awayl