1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Photobike does Scotland

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by PatrickO, Aug 19, 2009.

1. PatrickO

PatrickO

Aug 5, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    A nod to Desmond and his photovan :smile: Although this doesn't carry as much or protect me from the rain, it gets me to interesting places.

This week I took a couple of days off work, and went up north through the Lake District and into southern Scotland.

Over%20the%20Langdale%20passes.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1. Through the Langdale passes

Dumfries%20the%20old%20bridge%20over%20River%20Nith.jpg

2. The River Nith running through Dumfries

2009%2008%2017%20Road%20to%20Laurieston.jpg

3. The road to Laurieston

River%20Dee%20near%20Loch%20Ken.jpg

4. The River Dee

2009%2008%2018%20Talla.jpg

5. Talla Water flowing into Talla Reservoir

For the trip: pannier 1 for clothes and toiletries; pannier 2 for waterproofs and bike cover and small bag with D300/70-200mm, top box for bag with D700/17-35mm and various odds and ends. Bike weighed about 650 pounds fuelled and loaded without me. The route was 700 miles, took 2 days, cost about £100 in fuel, food and overnight stay, and 300 miles was through varying degrees of rain.

That is a camera inside the bike screen. I used a Nikon P2 on a Ram-mount ball arm to take video whilst I was riding. It is attached to the bar ahead of the instrument panel, but I am thinking of moving it to the handlebars where the vibrations (but not the rain) may be less.

2. Very nice shots! Love the second one.

Please remember to number your images when posting more than three for easy reference.

3. That looks like a great trip! The weather certainly was varied, but then again, that's Scotland for you.

4. 3LPCPhotography

3LPCPhotography

Oct 30, 2008
    Canada
    Great pictures. I often take the small motorcycle into remote parts of Northern Thailand and find it's a great adventure and motivator to go picture taking that way. Always a few great stories from such trips.

Tom

5. Your colors are very rich - looks like a great place for photographing.

Does it get cold there?

6. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Pretty set!

7. PatrickO

PatrickO

Aug 5, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    Thanks for the comments. It wasn't cold, but in winter this would be a real trek.

8. Lol. those could be BMW brochure photos. Nice.

9. Looks like a very interesting trip Patrick. Lovely images that capture the countryside perfectly - thanks for posting them......:smile:

10. danameless

danameless

May 9, 2009
    NYC
    #5 is great. I deal with a lot of people from Scotland in my job so it's always nice to see the country from a non-touristy view.

11. Super shots. On our recent trip out through the western USA, my friend was riding the same bike as you have. Great bike.

12. Hovmod

Hovmod

Aug 11, 2008
    Norway
    Beautiful. I'll be riding around in Scotland one day... I've done it in a car, which just made it so clear that it has GOT to be one of the most brilliant places to ride a bike. And the BMW GS is high on my list as well. :) 

13. TonyM1

TonyM1

Jan 26, 2009
    Woodstock GA
    Wow that takes me back!!

great pictures and biking in the lakes and scotland good on you ..damn that rainy stuff!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.