Photographer's attire (Prom)

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by Mojovase, May 12, 2007.

1. Mojovase

Mojovase

Feb 18, 2007
    Maryland
    Folks-

Normally, I don't do proms, but was asked to do a prom for a small school (60 couples). Am doing this as a courtesy for the students, as my wife works at the school and the original photographer backed out at the last minute. Of course, I am getting paid to do the job, lest you think I am crazy to tackle a job with no experience working at proms.

Without further ado, I do need to know what the approrpriate attire would be. Generally, I wear black trousers with a black cotton-silk short sleeve shirt. Given that most students will be all dressed up, I would wear a tuxedo, as I would do for a black-tie wedding, but for a prom?? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Oh, one more thing. This is in Maryland. I anticipate it will be hot and muggy. Just thought I'd let you know.

Jon

2. The prom will not be at an air conditioned facility?

3. A tux could be fun, and get in the spirit of things. I don't think it is neccicary. Your normal black attire would be fine.

4. Mojovase

Mojovase

Feb 18, 2007
    Maryland
    Fortunately, yes it will be in an air-conditioned facility. They also have a very nice balcony on the 2nd floor, overlooking a small man-made lake. So, I am sure there will be a few students wanting to have some photos taken, which obviously would be outside.

Getting back to the issue of attire, I have played golf several times and absolutely love those dry-fit shirts that truly absorbs all the body moisture. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any short sleeve shirts with buttons that are stylish as well too. Most of them tend to be rather bland and have a polyester feel to it. Yuck! Polo shirts are out for me, as I find them to be too casual.

Jon

5. Your camera and gear will identify you as the photographer so I would not worry too much about what you wear. Just don't make it too casual. Your black attire would probably be fine. I certainly would not wear a tux.

6. Mojovase..hello I am from Maryland. Sorry I can't help you with your photo questions right now but in looking at your profile, I see you are deaf. Hey, how about that...I'm deaf too! Any chance you 're doing the prom for the MSD seniors in Frederick?? I used to live in Frederick and worked at MSD for 3 yrs until 1991.

PM if you like.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.