Photographer's attire (Prom)

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by Mojovase, May 12, 2007.

1. Mojovase

Mojovase

Feb 18, 2007
    Maryland
    Folks-

Normally, I don't do proms, but was asked to do a prom for a small school (60 couples). Am doing this as a courtesy for the students, as my wife works at the school and the original photographer backed out at the last minute. Of course, I am getting paid to do the job, lest you think I am crazy to tackle a job with no experience working at proms.

Without further ado, I do need to know what the approrpriate attire would be. Generally, I wear black trousers with a black cotton-silk short sleeve shirt. Given that most students will be all dressed up, I would wear a tuxedo, as I would do for a black-tie wedding, but for a prom?? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Oh, one more thing. This is in Maryland. I anticipate it will be hot and muggy. Just thought I'd let you know.

Jon

2. The prom will not be at an air conditioned facility?

3. A tux could be fun, and get in the spirit of things. I don't think it is neccicary. Your normal black attire would be fine.

4. Mojovase

Mojovase

Feb 18, 2007
    Maryland
    Fortunately, yes it will be in an air-conditioned facility. They also have a very nice balcony on the 2nd floor, overlooking a small man-made lake. So, I am sure there will be a few students wanting to have some photos taken, which obviously would be outside.

Getting back to the issue of attire, I have played golf several times and absolutely love those dry-fit shirts that truly absorbs all the body moisture. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any short sleeve shirts with buttons that are stylish as well too. Most of them tend to be rather bland and have a polyester feel to it. Yuck! Polo shirts are out for me, as I find them to be too casual.

Jon

5. Your camera and gear will identify you as the photographer so I would not worry too much about what you wear. Just don't make it too casual. Your black attire would probably be fine. I certainly would not wear a tux.

6. Mojovase..hello I am from Maryland. Sorry I can't help you with your photo questions right now but in looking at your profile, I see you are deaf. Hey, how about that...I'm deaf too! Any chance you 're doing the prom for the MSD seniors in Frederick?? I used to live in Frederick and worked at MSD for 3 yrs until 1991.

PM if you like.