Photographers v Photographers

Undue comments are often made about posted photographs and I have to wonder why? I have no objection to good constructive criticism but those who post to nick pick on a photo arn't worth reading.

Last edited:
Which web sites in particular as I cannot believe that you mean the Cafe? Any specific threads?

From the posts I have seen here that invite critique it always seems to be fair but obviously a personal viewpoint which you may or may not agree with.

If there is a specific post here then why not point out your displeasure and why you feel that something is not constructive

On any forum or group there will be a percentage of people who make comments that the majority wouldn't make and don't like. The few that make them generally feel they are within their rights to do so and can't understand why others are so "touchy". This is human nature and life and general - you will find it everywhere you go so will just have to get used to the fact that it happens and starting a discussion about it is generally not going to accomplish anything.

This issue has been addressed multiple times on this site. The current solution is to have posters who want critique to request this in their title or have the critique badge active in their information box.
I personally welcome critique of my images and have my critique badge listed below my image on the left. Good critiques have helped me become a better photographer over the years.

I personally welcome critique of my images and have my critique badge listed below my image on the left. Good critiques have helped me become a better photographer over the years.
I appreciate anyone who takes the time to comment on my photographs...whether the comments are positive or negative. I can always discount the comments if I don't find value in them.

But, often times I have learned from comments. In some relatively recent threads, forum members have made suggestions as to how a photograph might be improved--and I've implemented some of those suggestions through Photoshop edits. I believe the photographs are stronger as a result of the input of forum members who took the time to comment.

Glenn

I almost always ask for critique. Sometimes I want to change the image in accordance with the offered critique, in which case I follow up that I'll do so or have already done so. Sometimes I disagree with the critique, in which case I explain why. In both cases, I thank the people for their critique. I tend to ignore critique that doesn't include something positive about the image, but that rarely happens at Nikon Cafe; negative critique offered in absence of positive critique almost always says a lot more about the reviewer's qualifications to critique an image than anything about the image itself.

Last edited:
Real Name
Andrew
I never mind someone making constructive criticism or suggestions. Kudos are always welcome, but we cannot always be spot on in every shot we take.

I will admit that I used to be on the side of ruffling feathers. This can come in 2 ways, intentionally trying to be argumentative or unintentional. Again, in my youth and arrogance, guilty of both.

Now, being older, wise and having a more compassionate heart, I do my best to try and provide any feedback to images in a positive spirit and hope it is taken that way.
I may not appreciate the subject matter, the composition or the processing....and if I see no way of providing a positive feedback - I just don't respond. However, if I feel that there is a way that could make the contribution to the conversation, I need to ensure that I state the critiques in a positive manner.

I'm not going to say, your composition sucks, the processing makes my eyes bleed or I hate the subject matter because it doesn't agree with my moral fiber. I take photography like art. I may not appreciate it or understand it, but I respect the right of someone to create it, show it.

We can discuss and disagree, but we should never get to the point of hate or anger or personal attacks. Once you've gotten there, nothing positive can come from the discourse.

Don't get me wrong...I'm human and sometimes I fail at what I just stated above. It is the goal I go into the conversation with, though.

I think the vast majority do something similar. I don't think that we always consciously want conflict, even those that seem to specialize in it.

A quick story: Shortly after my wife and I were married, I noticed a pattern of behavior in her that was a bit troubling. Roughly every 3-4 months, she would try and pick fights with me. After 3 or 4 of these, I had to sit her down and find out the root cause. After many discussions over a few months, she realized that having come from a dysfunctional and abusive childhood, she was used to and thought normal to have your world turned upside down every few months. Unknowingly, she was uncomfortable in the fact that we were not fighting...so she tried to make her life with me "normal".

From my view, people that want to tear down others, pick fights are doing so for a reason. Could be similar to what my wife was going through, could be that they were/are being bullied and they think this is a good way to try and regain some kind of power - by bullying others.

We cannot control other people, only control we have is how we choose to respond. We can fuel the fire, we can ignore, or we can take the high ground to engage and douse the flames. If that is a struggle for you, may I recommend reading the book Boundaries by Henry Cloud and John Townsend. It is a pivotal book in helping my wife overcome and re-write how she lives her life. No longer being guided by the old rules of her life created through dysfunction.

Growing up, my mother told me "if you have nothing nice to say, then say nothing at all". Having traveled around the sun a number of times, I have added a spiritual aspect when I say nothing, as noted in my sig. :angelic:

I think a lot of photography criticism is subjective and some nitpicks aren't really constructive at all due to personal taste and bias. Though you can tell a good photo based on compositional elements, emphasis on proper technique and the ability to convey a story or reach the viewer in either a visceral and/or intellectual level.

I can't think of anything that isn't subjective if the photographer doesn't first explain what he or she tried to accomplish.
Yeah but some people just dislike a photo due to personal taste, without asking themselves if it meets the criteria of a properly framed image.

Most good photos all implement aspects of the rule or thirds or the compositional golden triangle. There's only so many ways you can frame a rectangular image.

I'm one of those photographers who always turns on the gridlines in the viewfinder. ;)

Real Name
Bill
Constructive critiquing is fine so long as it's delivered in a light handed friendly fashion. Learning is good and I've learned quite a bit over the years not from just the critiquing of my pictures but from critiques given to other people. One of the reasons I enjoy the Cafe so much is that the atmosphere is so non-confrontational. The DPR forums are just the opposite.

Yeah but some people just dislike a photo due to personal taste, without asking themselves if it meets the criteria of a properly framed image.
Agreed. For me, the most helpful critique is offered in the context of what the photographer apparently is trying to accomplish. However, many people understandably like to receive critique in the context of their viewers' tastes so they can make photos that meet those tastes.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom