Photographers' web sights

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CliffB, Jul 29, 2007.

1. I have been thinking of seting up a web site. If possible, I do not want to learn how to create one from scratch; and, therefor, having been looking at solutions that would be fairly turn-key. I guess I am being somewhat like the posters who ask where they can find a super sturdy, light weight tripod for under $100.00; but, I would like to find a relatively inexpensive, or moderately priced option, that would allow for visitors to view images at close to full screen size, and to order prints directly from the site.

After viewing a number of available options, I have yet to find a source that seems to fit both me desires and my budget.

I am looking for suggestions; and, I would like to hear the experiences of those of you who are happy (or unhappy) with your choices for creating a web site.

Thanks.

2. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    I just finished a similar search. Smugmug, Pbase, etc....many people swear by them, I found them to be a bit slow on my machine and cumbersome.

For easy selling of images, Exposure Manager has done a nice job for me.

My in development site is here......RSTess Photography

YMMV

3. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    What I did

Cliff:

Three years ago I was looking for the same thing. I ended up searching eBay for a web site developer and I found a woman in Wyoming who was just starting a business on the side. She did a 10-page website for me for just $200 (a real bargain). It's pretty much the same thing I have today - you can see my site here.

About a year later, I had her integrate my Exposure Manager account into my own site - you can click on a link on the first inside page - for sales purposes. It works pretty good for me. So I'd suggest trying eBay for up and coming web developers. I'll point you in her direction if you want, but she charges more these days since she turned it into a full-time biz.

All the best, Cliff!

4. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

Well, mines not the best example in the world (I don't even attempt to do online selling - at the moment...). However, it is 'hosted' by myself off an ADSL line so I have full control over it.
    The software I use is Gallery2 which even if you goto a normal webhosting site would likely have it installed for others. It does let people buy prints from various online printers,pay with various online credit card merchants etc (all geared towards USA sellers/buyers by the way) and it is very customisable with different 'themes' (some pro, some not quite so pro looking!!!), how the images are shown etc etc - and it's FREE (can offer to donate through Paypal if you want) url is http://gallery.menalto.com/

5. GoGo

GoGo

Apr 20, 2006
    New York
    Exposure Manager

Very easy to navigate and efficient site, what is the url for Exposure Manager?

6. I've been using Album Creator. It's cheap and really configurable. I also played with JAlbum for a time.

7. Another vote for Exposure Manager.
    A suggestion: If you let them view at full size you're leaving yourself open for theft unless you watermark.

Don

8. mr2monster

mr2monster

Jun 29, 2007
    Arizona
    Do you have control of pricing your own prints?

***EDIT***Okay, i found all of the information except whether or not you get to determine the price of your prints...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2007
  9. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    http://www.exposuremanager.com/

The image upload is unique in EM. I post "display only" pictures. They are not really cleaned up, but good enough for online viewing and make for a very fast trip from shooting to on-line viewing.....

If someone orders one, I get an e-mail telling me which ones were ordered and a request to upload a full resolution version. I then clean up those specific ones and upload for printing.....done.

I use Aperture and there is direct pipeline I set up from Aperture to th my EM account. I select the shots and hit export and they are uploaded to the web.....priceless stuff.

Pricing is handled on a per gallery basis.

I forget the commission...it is on the FAQ section. I have been there three months. The print quality is superb.

10. mr2monster

mr2monster

Jun 29, 2007
    Arizona

So, I'm correct in that you get to determine your own pricing?

i.e. say I wanted to sell my 8X10's for 15 bucks instead of 10 (like i see on all the sample pages). Can I do that?

11. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

James, from viewing Exposure Manager's site, it appears that they allow either self fulfillment or letting them arrange for printing and shipping. They take a 10% commission, no matter what the fulfillment method. If they are sending the print, you also pay for printing and shipping. They do allow control of product pricing. At the moment, Exposure Manager is on my short list.

12. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Yes...you set all your prices. Customers pay shipping...not out of your account. Their shipping fees seem high to me.

You can also set up price sheets that allow for different prices across different galleries.

EM interface takes some getting used to. Not as intuitive as I would like. However, their e-mail support is lighting fast so ask a lot of questions if you go that route.

Again...ymmv......

13. Cliff, you might want to check out Zenfolio as well. www.zenfolio.com Their pro account is only $40 U.S. per year and offers unlimited storage, excellent image quality, dynamic sizing for your browser window that works perfectly, and a slideshow that sets the bar. I can't explain it but I just like the way images look on Zenfolio.

You can also map your own domain name over for that price and they offer prints from both EZ Prints and Mpix. I find the navigation to be easy and intuitive and friends who have visited my site say the same. Only downside at this point is not quite enough customization available (yet) on the pro account but they say they are working on that. No complaints even so especially if you don't have the time to putz with it. Anyhoo, worth a look and cheers!

P.S. Zenfolio also offers a 15 day free trial with no strings so you can easily test it to see if it works for you.

14. Here's another nice thing abut EM - THEY sell the photo to the customer after they liscense it from you for a one time use.

Why is that nice... because royalty income doesn't trigger the darned self employment tax.

Randy - that Aperture workflow sure sounds nice!

Don