Photographing Hunting Guns?

A friend of mine asked me if I can take photos of his hunting shotguns, I presume they have engravings on them that I would like to emphasize... I'd like to get a result somewhat similar to those I see in catalogs. Is there a way I can do this with a basic setup? I was thinking of using my D7000 with a prime lens, 35, 50 or 90.
Maybe even photograph som shells and things like that.
Please share some samples if you have any.
Thank you kindly :)

I'd really like some technique on how to shoot shotguns on display!!! I'd like to know how you experts do this! Are primes best suited for this? Macro lens? Flashes and lighting? Live View and such.... That threead has some cool photos, but I don't think that's what I need :smile:

My rifle shots I use a Tokina 35mm f/2.8 macro
Two or three speed-lights in soft boxes

This one is not my better work, but it is the first time using my D-7000 and CLS.
I need to change up my technique a little and use manual flash exposure Vs. TTL.

_DSC1305.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Photographing a gun is just like shooting any other product ... you need light.

While the gun in the following pics was used as a background prop, the key is the lighting: Speedlight camera right through white shoot-through umbrella for the main, the red rim light is a bare Speedlight with a red gel camera left laying on the floor behind the knife

_DSC3362.jpg

_DSC3359.jpg

Madecov, thanks for your photo, was it shot with the 35 1.8?
Billy, those are awesome shots!!! Thanks for sharing, but the thing I'm confused a bout is that the hunting guns I want to "shoot" are long in size!! What to do?
Chris, stacking technique? I think it will come in handy!!! But this would mean taking more photos and spending more time!!! I'll have to try it though!

Thanks guys :)

......the hunting guns I want to "shoot" are long in size!! What to do?

I use my 28-70, natural light, and stop down to f/18 or f/22 for max DOF. Of course, that requires a good tripod, and long shutter times.

Good thing I have solid tripod and wireless remote shutter!!! Would you recommend me using the 35mm lens? How about focusing? Is it best to use Live View?

I think you just have to experiment a lot. I tend to photograph long guns from either the butt end, or the muzzle, rather than from the "side". That is why the large DOF is necessary. Also, that would reduce the need for a wide angle lens. It's been a while, but I seem to remember picking a focus point slightly in back of the muzzle or butt plate...maybe 1/3 of the way up the rifle. I do this to match the DOF (1/3 in front of focus point, 2/3 in back).

Long guns are actually a little difficult to get the entire firearm sharp. When I had a Sony D-slr I used a 30mm Sony macro. My Nikon system has 35mm lenses and the extra 5mm seems to give me a bit harder time given my ability to set up at home. The real key is practice and getting the lighting correct. Everything else will follow. I have a.total of four Nikon speedlights and will probably get a few of the wireless radio triggers.

I use my 28-70, natural light, and stop down to f/18 or f/22 for max DOF. Of course, that requires a good tripod, and long shutter times.

Anything higher than F/11 on a crop sensor digital camera induces diffraction which wreaks havoc on sharpness and overall image quality. Sometimes I've found myself having no choice other than to go to f/22 for a particular shot to get the desired long shutter speed, and the end result is always that I don't end up keeping the photos. I've got 16 stops worth of neutral density filters in my bag now to correct this issue.

I'm sure that's true in some cases, but I've never really noticed any issues with it. I'm not worried about shutter speed, but rather, DOF.

D2x, 28-70, f/18 @ 1.6 seconds
original.jpg

D2x, 28-70, f/18 @ 2.5 seconds
original.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Photographing a gun is just like shooting any other product ... you need light.

While the gun in the following pics was used as a background prop, the key is the lighting: Speedlight camera right through white shoot-through umbrella for the main, the red rim light is a bare Speedlight with a red gel camera left laying on the floor behind the knife

http://www.billyngphotography.com/forum_photos/_DSC3362.jpg

http://www.billyngphotography.com/forum_photos/_DSC3359.jpg

Very nice!

This was taken with my D7000 and Sigma 18-50 f/2.8. Ironically (madecov), it was at 30mm when I took the shot. I used my SB-900 with the head aimed back toward me.

G19Gen4.jpg

nice one guys :smile:

dont think M16 is hunting gun LOL

Not too be overly picky,but. My photo is not an M16. The M16 is a select fire weapon of rifle length. It has the ability to choose the mode of operation as either full automatic fire or semi automatic. Civilian guns are based on the AR15 and are all semi auto. The particular firearm I posted is a carbine not a rifle and it is based on the AR15 platform. And it can and has been used for hunting purposes.

Great info! Thanks Madevov :)
Euua, it's ok cos that carabine is long in size and that is exactly what i'm interested in :)
Alan, nice "shot" :smile:

Latest threads

Top Bottom