Photographing Slides

A search turned up nothing. A few years ago, under the old software, someone posted on how they were able to build a little device out of cardboard that allowed them to use their digital camera to turn old slides into digital photos. I made part of it, then let the project slide. I think I have enough built to make it, but would love to see that post posted again. Is that possible?

A search turned up nothing. A few years ago, under the old software, someone posted on how they were able to build a little device out of cardboard that allowed them to use their digital camera to turn old slides into digital photos. I made part of it, then let the project slide. I think I have enough built to make it, but would love to see that post posted again. Is that possible?
That was me. Let me see if I can resurrect that thread.

Using the search function of the forum, search for the word "slides" in messages posted by me and search titles only.
Thanks for that. I never know what to put in search boxes. I actually thought it was you, but I have slept since then and wasn’t totally sure anymore. I made the cardboard pieces that hold the slide years ago when you first posted that thread and that will help me complete the project. It seems like there were dimensions for making the pieces that hold the slide in the thread I originally made it from, but I have that part made and it holds the slide nicely. So far I’ve made a box out of some cardboard and lined it with some white board. I’m assuming you cut a hole in the box then glued the slide holder pieces to the box?

I’m going to see if I can attach my speed light to the box.... well maybe not. It’s been so long since I’ve used it, the battery is so corroded it has leaked out all over the speed light. I round filed it. So, I guess I’ll try using my studio light. That should work. I’ll just have to block the light from entering the lens. I’ll start with my 60mm f2.8 that I’ve had for almost 20 years. I have extension tubes, and I’ll bet I’ll need them.

This is the setup I settled on and still have:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

However, I recently purchased a Nikon Slide Copying Adapter ES-1 which I think I now prefer.

B&H has the ES-1 for $60 and $140 for the ES-2.
Not sure what the difference between them is but the pricing sounds fairly reasonable for what they do.
I looked at those today. Near as I can make out, the ES-1 can only take one slide at a time and has springs to hold the slide in place and it looks like one has to move the slide around a little to get it centered. The ES-2 has a slide holder that holds two slides and everything clicks into place aligned and it also has a film strip holder and I believe it has the adapters to attach to your lens. The ES-2 has some conveniences with the holders and the adapters. Is the ES-2 worth the extra $80? It might be. I watched a B&H video on the ES-2 and it looks really nice. $140? I’ll try the box setup Pa made first.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I have the Nikon bellows and slide adapter and have used those.
But in my case I also needed to photograph older b/w negatives, such as 127 size. So I created a box where the negative or slide lies flat on the top, the camera and lens are on a copying stand, and the flash is not on the camera but is aimed into one end of the box.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom