Photographing Social Protest: Handout

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by Nacho, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Nacho

Nacho

Dec 29, 2007
    Salem, Oregon
    Hi Folks:

This is a very basic handout I put together on photographing social protest. It started a while back as basic notes for my students, and it has since become a bit more. It is still in very rough draft mode, hence I welcome comments and feedback, as well as resources to add.

It is certainly not authoritative, and context rules, but for the intended purposes, it provides basic things to think about re social protest, activism, civic engagement photography. In any case, the thoughts here have come in handy for me over the last four years:

http://www.willamette.edu/~ncordova/protestphoto.pdf

I'd love to hear your thoughts, and any resources you know about that can be added to the list of resources.

Best Regards,

Nacho :smile:

2. What a great resource. I can see lots of application with my conservation science students--all we need is protests (north Idaho is so, well, "calm"). Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

3. Nacho

Nacho

Dec 29, 2007
    Salem, Oregon
    Thanks!

Nick:

Glad you think it might be useful. But don't worry about having protests or not. I used the language of social protest, but truly any situation of citizen activism, or participatory democratic culture if you will. It is still rough, but I expect to polish it more over the Summer,

Thanks again,

Nacho

4. Right oh. I sent you an email too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.