Photographing The Photographer...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doug Barber, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Greetings all:
    I thought I would drop in a post a quick note....
    We have Dave Collingnon and his family visiting for the (Canadian) Thanks giving Weekend.
    So with their arrival Dave and I headed direct to my shop to play with our cameras... Is this not what all photo nut's do???
    Anyway, here is a quick shot I did for Dave. We played with the light on this for a bit till I got it working right... I think we took 4 or 5 images before we quit.
    There has been very little PS work on this image so it's (sort) of right out of the camera.
    Hope you enjoy

2. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL
    Wonderful shot, great background. He should be pleased with this photo. I love the shadows.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great image.

Great techinque you have mastered.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Great shot Doug! Your style really conveys a feeling and that feeling fits this subject like a glove. Now did Dave make a picture of you tat you'd like to share?

ps, Strobel, your avatar cracks me up!

5. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Great shot. Wonderful lighting and mood. Print out large and frame it.

6. jb007

jb007 Guest

Hey that's not too bad but do you have shares in "Shadows and Dark Looks Inc." LoL? All your pics are extremely well-endowed in the plentiful and deep shadows department so they always look gloomy to me making even a happy and cheerful person into a sullen ill-tempered and tormented looking soul or is that what you are looking to do LoL? That looks rude wasn't intended so just genuinely interested in why you often turn out these gloomy and sad pics as you don't post like a gloomy and sad person or is it all in the eye of the beholder that is me?

7. I guess I'm of the opinion that (all) images don't need to look "canned" with lighting that is "A-Typical" Studio..

To be honest I'm not sure how to respond to this comment...
    I think you are the first person who has told me that my images "always look gloomy"... But I guess if you feel this way, I should respect you for that and possibly it might be better if you don't look at them, as I would not want them to have any type of negative effect...
    As for the shadows... They were planned into the shot along with the 30 second exposure I used to create this.

8. Thanks everyone for your comments.....

9. Hi Doug, nice image. Is this your painting with light technique?? It's always fun for me to see what you come up with. Very creative photographer.

10. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Great shot....I love the use of shadows and light. I don't see it as gloomy, more pensive maybe? I look at this shot and think that possibly Dave was contemplating his next shot. Well done!

11. I love the lighting, and esp the almost monochrome colouring. Dave must be pleased with this one!

12. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Love the shot, and the moodiness you created for Doug. Tell David "Hi" for me! 30 secs, how's he hold still that long?
    Re the "gloomy" comment, well, I think it's all semantics really, and that "gloomy" could easily be replaced with the word "moody", which would be more a more amicable word to you? :wink:
    One critical comment from me. Would liked to have seen his other foot in the shot. As it is now, with the log in front of it, it *almost* looks like the log is his other foot.

13. It looks great, Doug, but it's out of plumb by 1 1/2 degrees, and I've got a crick in my neck from tilting my head to the right to look at it :Crunk: . Some people use tilt as a design element to build tension into a composition. Was it intentional?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2005
  14. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    I love being an art critic because I have not an ounce of talent in my bones.

That being said.......not sure if the greenish overcast goes with this type of image. Personal preference would be for a warmer or more neutral tone.
    Additionally, I would have preferred to have the left hand and camera a little lighter which would have resulted in a 'nice triangulation' suggesting that its the hands, mind, and camera that work in synergy in a great photographer.

Regards

RFC

15. Yes Gordon, this is done with painting in the light.
    Thanks for looking in

16. Thanks Leigh and Sandy....
    I'm just heading out to take some images (family type) so i'll keep this short.
    Thanks again

17. Good point on the foot Steve. Did not even think of that.
    The problem with this type of image is not the time Dave has to stand still. Because he really only needs to stay still when I'm paining a given part of his body. So the head needs to be still when you are painting the head. But the hands can move till I get to the hands.... (Does this make sense.)?

18. Frank... don't tilt your head... Move your monitor and it will look right...lol
    Thanks for noting that. you are right.

19. Hi Robert:
    Getting the finer details of light right can get a little tricky with this type of process because you are painting with light and that is different than with paint. The main difference being that you cannot see were you have gone as you paint.
    Your points are well thought out and I’ll try to improve next time.
    Thanks for the comments and input

20. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.