Photography Apps for Ipad

I just ran across this:

The Photographer's Transit
from the maker of and works with The Photographer’s Ephemeris

The Photographer's Transit is a digital map-based shot planning tool for outdoor photographers shooting with interchangeable lens cameras.

• Plan the best possible camera, lens and shooting location using the sophisticated field of view visualization
  • Detailed elevation profiles allow you toscout sight-lines virtually
  • Check if your planned focal length will capture your subject
  • Offline maps and elevation charts
  • Share your shot plan easily with friends or colleagues
  • Works with our sister app, The Photographer’s Ephemeris
Available for iPad

Check it out at http://phototransit.com

I haven't tried it, but I like their other app, and it looks useful to me. Does anyone have any experience with it?

I just ran across this:

The Photographer's Transit
from the maker of and works with The Photographer’s Ephemeris

Check it out at http://phototransit.com

I haven't tried it, but I like their other app, and it looks useful to me. Does anyone have any experience with it?

Thanks for sharing this info. I have used TPE probably from the start (when it was only a PC application) and swear by it. I'm not sure I'd find this as useful since I usually carry a whole complement of lenses, but it might help to lighten the load.

Thanks for sharing this info. I have used TPE probably from the start (when it was only a PC application) and swear by it. I'm not sure I'd find this as useful since I usually carry a whole complement of lenses, but it might help to lighten the load.

I bought "The Photographer's Transit" (TPT) and played with it for about an hour yesterday. The tutorials at http://phototransit.com/tutorials/ are excellent and really worth the time it takes to watch them on your desktop computer while you follow along on your iPad.

For me, lens selection will only be part of TPT's usefulness. Being able to scout a shoot location with several mapping systems (roads from Google or Mapquest, elevation charts, satellite view, and Street View) is probably a bigger selling point for me. Combine it with TPE, and one can go to a location with a lot of knowledge about what is there, light conditions, and best lens to have ready.

Yesterday, I simulated walking around the streets of Jacksonville with my D800e and 8mm Fisheye, scanning not only left and right, but skyward at the tall buildings using TPT's maps to find the location, and then Street View to preview the views. I now have a good idea as to where to drive to.

I tend to waste a lot of money on apps that seem to be very "cool," only to not use them very often. I believe I will get a lot of use of the TPT/TPE combination.

Another possible app for the iPad and iPhone is ioShutter.

(Like Camranger, ioShutter requires the purchase of a piece of hardware for the app to work. So it may not fit in this thread.)

I have no experience with the hardware or the apps, but thought others might be interested. According to the developer:

Pin sharp, blur-free photos, great portraits and more!
The original SLR shutter control for your iPhone

Mods, please move or remove this post if you feel that it is inappropriate.

Real Name
Chris
Another possible app for the iPad and iPhone is ioShutter.

(Like Camranger, ioShutter requires the purchase of a piece of hardware for the app to work. So it may not fit in this thread.)

I have no experience with the hardware or the apps, but thought others might be interested. According to the developer:

Pin sharp, blur-free photos, great portraits and more!
The original SLR shutter control for your iPhone

Mods, please move or remove this post if you feel that it is inappropriate.

It takes four clicks on their own site to find out it's seventy bucks. I'd be more inclined to buy it if they offered it through regular retail channels and didn't try to hide the price. That sort of thing makes me suspicious.

None-the-less, this is an idea begging to be realized.

Photopils is by far my most used photo app. Really a combination of TPE, a better version of Stellarium, and all the DoF etc calculators.

I'm actually an Android user but bought an old wifi only iPhone 5 to tether to my Android/wifi so I can run Photopils (no Android app available).

I'm currently trying out Planit! as a possible replacement since it's on Android as well as iOS but it is so much less intuitive.

Hi Mitchell,

I haven't gotten that far yet. So far I've just been playing with some jpgs already on my iPad.
I have a couple of cameras with wifi, so raw images can be put on the iPad through that.
I guess some Nikon dslrs now have wifi, but not mine.
If I wanted to put on Nefs from my older Nikons to my iPad, I might try Google drive -- upload nefs from desktop or laptop to GD, then download from GD to iPad. An unwieldy process and not exactly travel friendly.

I bought Affinity Photo so I could do a bit more with iPhone snaps, and to see if I liked the program enough to get it for my laptop. I'm a bit of a PP Neanderthal and my preference would be to find a way to load Capture NX2 and PS CS3 onto my laptop (mirroring my desktop). That's turned out to be a no-go, so I'm giving Affinity Photo a spin. It seems like an extremely capable program.

A great, really great app for the iPad is Guardian. It displays daily photos from around the world. And the photos are incredible.

It's not a app you use for your photos. Sorry if this should not be posted here.

I read it daily but be aware it is probably the most left wing publication in the UK, you are entitled to your own political leanings of course.

Latest threads

Top Bottom