Photography Certification or Degree in Raleigh/Durham Area?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cleo68, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Cleo68

Cleo68

Jul 7, 2008
    Bedford, MA
    I know this may sound unnecessary to some if not most folks at this forum, but I really want to obtain some type of formal education in photography. Although photographers get good at what they do through years of practice, I also want to have a physical piece of evidence that I have studied somewhere specifically in this field.

I have a BA in English, an AS in Legal Administration, Web Development certification and PC certification. I took one photography course at NESOP (New England School of Photography) years ago and other courses here and there, but not on a consistent basis. Although I'm turning 40 Thursday :frown:, I want to have a note of formal education on my resume. Trouble is, I'm not finding any school that offers a photo degree/cert. in my area (Raleigh/Durham). Seems the closest place is Charlotte.

I know some do the NYIP (NY Institute of Photography) online program. Is this method sought after by potential employers? Do they prefer hands-on educational background?

I am happy to have the opportunity to work for some local photography companies, but feel that crucial educational element is missing. :confused: 

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks very much.

2. Why? You'll just put yourself in more debt and you can learn most stuff from photo books. I'd just do a certificate program at a junior college and save yourself some money!

3. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
  4. Cleo68

Cleo68

Jul 7, 2008
    Bedford, MA
  5. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    dang, you aren't kidding

I just checked UNC and Duke and neither offer photography degrees

6. Cleo68

Cleo68

Jul 7, 2008
    Bedford, MA
    Yeah - what's up with that?!! :mad: 

I was just at the PPA site and they seem to have a workshop in August, but if you didn't pay before June, it costs $700! And their affiliate school is an hour and a half away. :frown:

7. Ruff Draft

Ruff Draft

Sep 2, 2007
    Michigan
  8. Cleo68

Cleo68

Jul 7, 2008
    Bedford, MA
    Thanks - they certainly do have a lot of class options!

What I find, though, is that if I'm not doing it hands-on, I'm easily distracted. It would really help me to get out of the house and to be learning with others. Unfortunately, I'm not finding that. I know there are clubs, but it's just not the same thing... :confused: 

9. Cleo68

Cleo68

Jul 7, 2008
    Bedford, MA
  10. Check with your local community colleges. I know here, Forsyth Tech. will have night courses a few times a month and they last a month or so and you can get a certificate from them. I went to a small one before (on digital printing - not to get a degree) and it was pretty nice. Community colleges should also have better prices.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.