Photography Holiday - Where to go in the US ?

Hi all

My wife and I are looking to book a holiday shortly. We know that we can basically go anywhere in the world but have decided to return to the US.

We live in Scotland, UK and have previously been to New York a number of times and also had a fantatsic holiday in California/Arizona and also been to Toronto Canada.

The California trip was so good that we wish we hadn't done it before so that we could experience it again for the first time.

So, this is where you guy's come in :biggrin: I know there are many US citizens who frequent the cafe and if possible I'd like you to either suggest a US itinerary or highlight perhaps why we should visit your region.

A couple of points to note, please:

We will be travelling during August and have approx 16 days.

We have no objections to any weather types.

We adored California for the diversity i.e. cities/towns/villages, rivers/ocean, mountains/hill - we'd love to have a similar experience perhaps in a different state. I particularly enjoyed Yosemite NP.

I plan to do a lot of photography and maybe even get the wife started into it, so I will be looking for areas of natural beauty.

For the last part of our vactaion, we'd like to be a near an ocean/beach for some relaxation, but we have no problem with travelling distances by car for the first part of the trip and even flying for the second part.

Oh, and we are both 30 years old.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best Wishes

Anthony

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no limit to where you can go here in the U.S., particularly the Western states. Have you tried Utah (Zion/Bryce National Parks, Grand Canyon, Arches National Monument, etc.), Arizona (Painted Desert, Sedona area), then there's the more mid-west with Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore, etc. If you want to go back to California, one of my favorites is the coastal trip... one year my family went from San Diego all the way up to the state of Washington... soooo much amazing scenery along the way... Speaking of Washington, how about a volcanic loop in Northern California, Oregon and Washington... There's Mt. Hood, Mt. Ranier, Mt. St. Helens, etc. Some of the most beautiful scenery IMO.

What kind of shooting do you wish to do?

Given my location, I'll put a plug in for the Boston/New England area. You will get a wide variety of things to shoot, from people, to landscape to birds to ocean to sports.

If you hired a car, you can, within 2 hours, get to some mountainous areas; beaches are close and a bit further, can also get to some really nice areas like Cape Cod or the islands (Martha's Vineyard/Nantucket).

A little bit longer will get you up to Maine, Vermont, Rhode Island and Connecticut.

August might be a bit warm & muggy for areas like Florida, but you should also look into the Pacific Northwest. If you're active (i.e. hiking, kayaking) the Portland or Bend areas of Oregon are fantastic, the Columbia River Gorge, and of course, Seattle. Near Seattle is the Olympic Peninsula which is very attractive as well.

Haven't even touched on the middle of the country...tell us what you like to shoot.:wink:

Oooh. 16 days is a LONG time! That means you can cover a lot of ground. First of all, I second Utah. I wish I could go back now that my photographic abilities are better. It was absolutely spectacular when I went last July. I'd suspect that it would be again in August.

Around Utah is Arizona, which has great desert scenes, and of course the Grand Canyon. It'll be warm, but when I was there last July I was able to stand the occasional trip out of the car. Nevada is close as well and offers desert scenes, and mountains as well.

You already talked about CA so I won't bother here.

Close to Utah is Glacier NP, and of course Yellowstone. I'm sure you know about both of those so I won't go into much detail about that.

That's all I've got for now, I'll let you know if I think of more

You'll probably get as many different answers as you get replies, Anthony. :biggrin:

How about San Francisico to Seattle up the pacific coast? Plenty of things to see and do along the way.

Another +1 for the western states of Utah, Arizona, Nevada: add Monument Valley (Utah), Lake Powell (AZ), Lake Mead (NV), Death Valley (CA) to the previous list by Shaun, and you'll be more than set! :smile: I hope you like the (dry) heat though... :wink:

West is great. If you've been already, then do the east as 16 days allows alot, 2-3 different cities to casually enjoy it.
History is huge in places like Boston. I'm going back this August with my family. From there you can hit NYC and Washington. Or locales in Virginia I have heard is great too.

Being from Glasgow, you're going to need to be watchful of the weather. Utah and Arizona are wonderful for scenics but killers for heat in August. Florida would do you in as well during that month.
For scenery, 16 days, variety, etc, I'd fly into San Francisco and rent a vehicle with unlimited mileage and drive up the coast. You've got the Napa Valley for winetasting, and of course the Pacific Coast Highway through N California and then Oregon is stunning!!!!!

Utah's Grand Circle, Yellowstone, or Glacier are good options.

Yellowstone is a must see place, though. The American West before the Pioneers. Where else can you drive in, cruise along side a bison trotting down the same road before coming across a grizzly sow and cub? Land of the Cheyenne and Buffalo Bill. Geysers, mud pots, elk, bears. coyotes, and landscape like no where else in the world. Then you get to see the Tetons just south and maybe a moose or 2.

Its a mighty long list, though. I don't envy your making the choice, its tough enough living here.

I second Toby's suggestion of Yellowstone. It's a MUST SEE. If you could postpone your trip to September you'll encounter much less crowded condition in almost all popular U.S. vacation spots.

Unfortunately, it's probably already too late to reserve lodging within the Yellowstone/Tetons area for this summer.

I second the east coast idea. Boston to Maine and then into Canada/New Brunswick and lobster country. The coast of New Brunswick (Cape Enrage, Fundy National Park, town of Alma...) is beautiful.

16 days! You lucky dogs!

The Frozen Tundra...aka south of the Twin Cities,
How about Washington, DC and environs? If you hire a car you can drive to the beach (Maryland, Delaware) in just three hours after you've had your fill of the DC scenery, monuments and such....
August in DC? As much as I love it here, I wouldn't wish the weather on anyone. September October, different story...DC - The monuments, and city, Harpers Ferry WV an HR drive drive away, Amish country/Gettysburg 2 hrs, NYC 3 hrs (best by train), Skyline drive to watch the leaves turn, horse country in Middleburg/Upperville VA with the Loudoun wineries, Annapolis, and the eastern shore of MD close by. DC would be a great destination for you...not in August though.

Another +1 for the western states of Utah, Arizona, Nevada: add Monument Valley (Utah), Lake Powell (AZ), Lake Mead (NV), Death Valley (CA) to the previous list by Shaun, and you'll be more than set! :smile: I hope you like the (dry) heat though... :wink:
I would second that whole heartedly.

Wow guy's !

I'm astounded by the replies already, many many thanks.

I'm going to have a lot of research to do, I can see. I'll look at each place in turn and let you know where we are at, although right now, Yellowstone is really sticking out.

Really appreciated.

Anthony

Wow guy's !

I'm astounded by the replies already, many many thanks.

I'm going to have a lot of research to do, I can see. I'll look at each place in turn and let you know where we are at, although right now, Yellowstone is really sticking out.

Really appreciated.

Anthony
Just remember, Yellowstone will be CROUDED in August.

Latest posts

Top Bottom