Photography In Egypt

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by murreywalker, Jan 6, 2006.

1. murreywalker

murreywalker

Mar 25, 2005
    I'm going to Egypt, Israel, and Jordan this fall.

I'm particularly interested in museums and their photography rules -- flash/no flash.

I suspect the museums in this area are similar to those in Europe and Asia who allow photography, but no flash.

Anyone with past experiences, please comment.

2. It has been a long time since I was in Egypt but as I recall the Egyptian Museum in Cairo did allow cameras but no flashes. In the Valley of the Kings, they wouldn't allow flashes either. I had a small portable flashlight that I used for some shots inside the tombs as they wouldn't allow tripods either.

Maybe someone who has been there more recently can provide more info but I doubt they've changed their policies. In the tombs, they said the flashes were not allowed because they feared the colors inside fading from the excessive light.

3. We were in Luxor this September. Too many idiots ignored the rules of no flash in the tombs in the Valley of the Kings, so now they have banned cameras in the tombs. You have to check them at the entrances and pick them back up when you leave.
    One of our group leaders stayed outside and watched our gear when we went in. You might want to plan on something similar. I'm not sure how well the entrance monitors looked after equipment, it just sat on shelves and tables behind the entranceway. I don't think there were any tokens to ID your bag when you came out. It looked like you just pointed to your bag and they handed it to you. This may not apply to all the tombs, we went into only two, including Tut.
    Too bad because a 1.8 lens and 1600 ISO would have yielded some neat photos.
    No photography was allowed in the Luxor Museum, but no limits in the outdoor temples.
    Bob

4. Now that you mention it, that was the same procedure for entering King Tut's tomb. They didn't allow cameras at all. I'm trying to remember back to 1986 when I was there. Too bad they've applied that to all tombs there. I got some great shots in the other tombs.

In any case, you'll have a fantastic time in Egypt. It still is my favorite destination I've been to. (I was a travel agent for 15yrs and have been all over)

5. I went to Israel and Egypt a few years ago and in Egypt at their museums, they did allow flash.

6. Hi Kevin...I was with the airlines fo 7 years until I was layed off and I got to quite a few places myself. Too bad I didn't have a DSLR back then.

7. Me too, Melissa (wishing for a DSLR back then). But I did have my film camera always by my side. We'll have to compare notes when you're here next month. :wink:

8. Sure...would like too.

9. murreywalker

murreywalker

Mar 25, 2005
    To All,

Your input is much appreciated! This is one trip that I will be prepared for.

10. Hi

I went to egypt in 2004 and unfortunately they had banned photogrpahy in all museums and more generally most interior spaces for example tombs and inside the Abu Simbel buildings. Luckilly news of the rule hadn't reached the museum at Luxor so I did get some shots there including this one of Ramesses I. If you're interested you can find the Egypt pictures on my site under galleries.

[​IMG]

Enjoy your trip. You'll love it. It's a wonderful place for the photographer.