Photography in the Ballpark in Arlington?

I'm going to Dallas for the 4th of July, and plan on catching a Rangers game. Will I get hassled about taking by camera (D7000 and 70-300VR) with me?

Anyone ever do any shooting there?

I use to take my camera with my 70-200 lens to the Astro's game all the time. They never gave me any problems...and I didn't try to hide it. I doubt it. They do have a message board forum...perhaps you can ask before you take it.

No personal experience, but...

CAMERA AND VIDEO EQUIPMENT
Cameras and video equipment are permitted in Rangers Ballpark. However, flash photography, video reproductions and equipment that might interfere with another guest's enjoyment of the game are prohibited.

There are, however, limits on backpacks, and oversize bags.

Only soft-sided, collapsible coolers without plastic inserts are allowed --not hard coolers, backpacks, or oversized bags. All bags and purses must be 16"x16"x8" or smaller and are subject to search by ballpark staff.

http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/tex/ballpark/information/index.jsp?content=guide

You could try sticking a 50 mm on the body and the 70-300 in your bag to get you through the gate?

Mark, take the 70-200 2.8 VR - I took mine and the TC 1.7 and they didn't bat an eye, and that was during the World Series, dude!

The Rangers have a very camera-friendly policy. As long as you don't intrude on another baseball fan's experience, you're all good!

If you want, you can swing by and I'll let you borrow my 1.7 tele if you want.

Not sure if you could get away with bringing the 300 2.8 lens, though - that thing is huge! I'd call the Rangers ticket office or PR department if you really want to bring the 300...

Great info, Bob! I was hoping they wouldn't be uptight about photography.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm not sure I want to lug the big lens along. I'm going more for the enjoyment of the game than for the photo opportunities. I just thought that I might test out my vacation kit while actually on vacation. Besides I'll be in the lower infield section 19, so I think I'll have enough reach with the 70-300 on a DX body.

Miami must be different Seneca. I took my camera and long lens (80-400 VR) to a Marlins game and they even called security when they saw me with my gear. Useless to say I was not allowed to shoot the game, not to say I was not allowed to enter the park with the camera.
I learned my lesson and now I watch the games from the comfort of my living room...with camera in hand.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Policies vary, as do the actions of ballpark personnel. A couple of years ago I sought an e-mail clarification before taking my D300 and 70-200 to a Yankees game at Yankee Stadium. The e-mail said it was permitted. I brought a printout with me. No problem.

Miami must be different Seneca. I took my camera and long lens (80-400 VR) to a Marlins game and they even called security when they saw me with my gear. William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Awww William...that is really too bad. Wow. I was a season ticket holder...not that that matters...because several times I went in through different gates. The only thing they made me do was take the lens off to make sure it wasn't something else. I even got some compliments from the staff on how long my lens was and many said ..."Nice camera".

Miami must be different Seneca. I took my camera and long lens (80-400 VR) to a Marlins game and they even called security when they saw me with my gear. Useless to say I was not allowed to shoot the game, not to say I was not allowed to enter the park with the camera.
I learned my lesson and now I watch the games from the comfort of my living room...with camera in hand.

I don't like this policy. In most cases, the team gets more from the fans than the fans get from the team. The least the owners could do is allow fans, who are into photography, to take some shots of the players.

And I don't blame you're reaction, William. I'll only be kicked out of a place once. After that, I'll seek my entertainment elsewhere.

You guys are lucky at your ballparks.

My friend got hassled when she tried bringing in her non-gripped d300 with 70-200 in to the Angel's Stadium. She had to leave the lens in her car.

I wanted to bring my 70-200 to Angel's Stadium for the Monster Jam thinking the policy will be different for non baseball events. I called to verify if I could, but they said only if the lens is 6 inches or less(same policy). I was watching the security at the gate and they were checking all cameras with detachable lenses.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom