Photography is good for the brain

McQ

Just your average, everyday moderator.
Real Name
Glenn
This is what I think. Although it's fun to talk about, the whole "left brain/right brain" thing is more myth than anything else.

Photography is definitely a great mental activity, and often is a physical activity, getting us outside and walking around, thinking creatively, etc. So I agree it's a great thing to do for ourselves, aside from being just plain fun!

Some info on the myth of Left brain/right brain:

http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/more-left-brain-right-brain-nonsense/

Some of it stems from this paper (abstract only available).

Quick overview, with references, is here.

This is what I think. Although it's fun to talk about, the whole "left brain/right brain" thing is more myth than anything else.

Now there's a sweeping statement!

Well, add this to the list of topics that should be fun but end up being not fun.
:frown:

Raw vs. jpeg
K.R.
Leica vs. Anything else.

Left Brain/Right Brain arguments from people who aren't neurologists

:m72:

As a middle-aged photographer one reason I enjoy photography so much is its ability to exercise both sides of the brain. Left-brain focuses on logical thinking, analysis, and accuracy. Right-brain, on the other hand, focuses on aesthetics, feeling, and creativity.

See - http://www.funderstanding.com/brain/right-brain-vs-left-brain/

Whatcha think?

I agree it exercises both the logical and the creative parts/sides of my brain as well as the whole of my body in getting out into the fresh air and being on foot. As someone who has seen the after effects of brain injury there is no doubt that different areas of the brain affect and control different aspects of the 'person' - although no one is suggesting it is split equally down the middle of course which is just a convenient figure of speech!

I like the balance between the critical and the pragmatic in photography, constantly trying to improve while being aware of the limitations of the equipment (and the laws of physics) and I love the luxury of being able to spend all evening processing five photographs as I did last night. It can be very zen and intellectually demanding at the same time.

I had a stroke at a very young age, so I can agree with some of this. However, the "split down the middle theory" is a bit too defined for me. Although if you listen to Jill Bolte Taylor, she disagrees with me (I think shes a quack)

I definitely am stronger in creative, spiritual and interpersonal skills....is that from my stroke damage? I'm not as good at spacial relationships or math. W need both to function, though we may nurture one more than the other.
I do agree though if you suffer physical trauma, what you lose is gifted back some other way.

I think we use both parts of our brain. Its a complementary system.....

funny because my presentation at NECCC in a few days is about creativity. I know a lot of very great technical photographers who very self admittedly say they struggle with creativity. I'm not sure that has to do with brain function, but more to do wit adhering to rules and being afraid to "get it wrong".

Interesting topic.

edit: I wanted to add that if you subscribe to the theory of Gardner's Multi Intelligences....photography combines them all. take a look...

McQ

Real Name
Glenn
Now there's a sweeping statement!

:m72:

You don't know me or my background. If you have a personal problem, then I suggest you put it in a PM to me and don't attempt to derail the thread.

You don't know me or my background. If you have a personal problem, then I suggest you put it in a PM to me and don't attempt to derail the thread.

And yet you couldn't say that in a PM? Unbelievable!

You attempted to rubbish the thread and end the debate before it even started!

I guess you'll get it shut down completely now - well done :rolleyes:

Trying to get the thread back on track:

As a middle-aged photographer one reason I enjoy photography so much is its ability to exercise both sides of the brain. Left-brain focuses on logical thinking, analysis, and accuracy. Right-brain, on the other hand, focuses on aesthetics, feeling, and creativity.

I guess I also count as a middle-aged photographer and I couldn't agree more.

The other huge positive for me, is the way it makes me take time out just for me... time to get away from other commitments, slow down and enjoy my surroundings. I am absolutely certain that is also very good for my mental health - not to mention the physical exercise getting some beautiful places.

McQ

Real Name
Glenn
Trying to get the thread back on track:

I guess I also count as a middle-aged photographer and I couldn't agree more.

The other huge positive for me, is the way it makes me take time out just for me... time to get away from other commitments, slow down and enjoy my surroundings. I am absolutely certain that is also very good for my mental health - not to mention the physical exercise getting some beautiful places.

Completely agree with this, as I alluded to in my first post. Well put. This is probably the biggest mental health benefit I have in my life. The stress of life disappears when I'm out and about with the camera.

Be present to your scene. dont be just and observer--be engaged in your scene.

Drop the predetermined labels of what an image should look like.

Feel, see, construct the image to relay the emotion you feel.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom