Photography magazine recommendations?

I'm a book worm, but occasionally I enjoy some light reading. I would like to subscribe to a couple photography magazines. However, I do not want articles that are basically glorified ads. I'm not interested in charts and graphs either. I want articles about techniques I will actually use and beautiful images to inspire me.

With all of the camping, hiking, biking, etc. we do during the warmer months I think Outdoor Photographer will be one of my choices. What else should I consider? And what should avoid?

TIA! :smile:

I don't think there are any magazines that get into rally in-depth techniques, at least not for digital (I've seen some that cover film pretty in-depth though). All the how-to articles seem to target beginners.

Here are the magazines I subscribe to, more for the photos than the articles:

Outdoor Photographer
Lenswork
Black & White Photography (UK)

I like Digital Photo Pro, as well as Shutterbug and Outdoor Photographer.

I'll 2nd all of the above and add Lens Work along with Photoshop Mag. you may want to subscribe to some pod cast such as tips from the top floor, lens work, shutterbug radio, nikonians image Dr and nikonians news flash just to name a few.

I'm a book worm, but occasionally I enjoy some light reading. I would like to subscribe to a couple photography magazines. However, I do not want articles that are basically glorified ads. I'm not interested in charts and graphs either. I want articles about techniques I will actually use and beautiful images to inspire me.

With all of the camping, hiking, biking, etc. we do during the warmer months I think Outdoor Photographer will be one of my choices. What else should I consider? And what should avoid?

TIA! :smile:

The three I read and would recomend are all published in the UK

The first two are weeklies

Amateur Photographer
(They have a web site at http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/ )

British Journal of Photography
(They have a web site at http://www.bjphoto.co.uk/ )

Both the above have been in continuous weekly publication for over 125 years.

The other magazine I would recomend is a monthly (Actualky 4 weekly so there are 13 issues a year)
Black & White Photography
(They have a web site at http://www.thegmcgroup.com/item--Black-and-White-Photography--1003BW.html )

Kelly,

I get Oudoor Photographer and absolutely love it. I subscribe to it and can't wait for the next issue to come out! It inspires me, gives lots of tips, and always has beautiful images.

Jen in Alaska

I get outdoor photographer & popular photography. Check Ebay. That's where I got my subscription's from. I got Popular Photographty for $12.00. That was a 4 year subscription! Outdoor photographer was $8.00 or $9.00 for a 3 year subscription.

I been getting both magazines for about a year now. I like both magazines but prefer Outdoor Photographer..

Thanks for the suggestions! It looks like Outdoor Photographer will be a definite pick and I'll check into the others listed to see what might appeal to me.

I'll also look into podcasts. That's a great idea. :smile:

I suscribe to both Outdoor Photographer and Popular Photography & Imaging. I like Popular Photography, but I love Outdoor Photographer.

M

matthew.paul

I'm a fan of JPG Magazine.

It is all user submitted images and articles and everyone votes on what gets published. There is some very cool stuff in it!

My favorite is called Digital Camera. It is a UK publication so I have to pay a lot to get it over here in Sandy Eggo. It's a little folksy, but it focuses (bad pun) on technique more than gear, which I like.

I can't stand Pop Photog. It seems like a shill for the gear manufacturers. Every issue is full of rave reviews of the newest, latest and greatest camera, lens, etc.

-- Russ

worth repeating

If you are a photographer, artist, graphic artist, designer or visual person, you should read FLAUNt out of NYC!

I just saw the last issue it's masterful.

Latest threads

Top Bottom