Photography Playday with an S5Pro

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TOLady, May 2, 2007.

1. My buddy, Bernie Heins (some of you know him from the Coolpix accessories we've purchased from him) is the one who got me (kicking and screaming) into DSLR a few years ago, convinced me to get the Fuji S3Pro, and of course chose my first lenses for me (just so HE could play with them! :biggrin:).

He called to tell me he just got his S5Pro and has convinced me to take a day off work tomorrow and have a play-day!! We're both a pair of gear-loving geeks (his wife just laughs at us and shakes her head) so there's a chance this is going to be a very expensive play-day for Sandi! I want to see how the new model handles my long zooms, especially the 80-400VR. If it improves the speed of focus, I just might have to part with some of my hard earned money (successful week - two very tough deals put to bed).

I thank my stars Bernie isn't into sports cars or any other expensive hobbies - I couldn't afford it!! :eek:

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. I would love to see an image @ ISO 1600 in low light.
    Greg

4. Sandi, I am sure you will buy one after playing with it.

5. original.

6. Wow Phil that's great.

7. Phil, I might as well call you Bernie2!!! You're a nasty, nasty man... you just love sucking those dollar bills outta ma pocket!!! :biggrin: Great shot! I do love my S3Pro for the DR and the 'no noise' at high ISO's. Bernie does not like the smaller grip on the new version, aka D200, and I'm suspecting neither will I. When I have wet hands in the kayak, I want a safe, firm grip on my gear and if I think the grip is too small, it just might be a deal breaker for me. I've become spoiled, for sure. He says there's no vertical grip like the S3Pro but that's OK, I actually never flipped the hands over, just put the arm up for vertical shots.
    That's OK, everyone needs a play-day every once in a while. :smile:

8. I was under the impression that the D200 vertical grip will work on the S5Pro...

Have fun!

9. Sandi, give it a fair trial and see what you think.

The grip is not a problem for me, but I can understand your concern, so try it with your wet hand and see.

And Jim is correct. You can use the MB-D200 with the S5.

10. Jim, I didn't want to add a separate vertical grip otherwise it will make it far too large to stow in the marine Pelican case.

Thanks for your input, Phil. I'll give it a full, fair workout. We're going tromping through the woods looking for wild flowers which are just coming up right now so it should be a fun day. I need one!

11. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Looking forward to your impressions. I really like what I've read about the S5 so far.

12. Hope you have a good day today Sandi. My play-day is tomorrow at the International Centre (just did some deals up near Bernie's as a matter of fact).

Look forward to the results.

13. Mark, I hope you had a great time up at the photo show. Any terrific deals going on?

On my way to see Bernie, I stopped in at Nikon Canada service desk to drop my CP5700 off for a new sensor. Had a great talk with Paul Brand, the Manager there - always fun to talk about gear and he even forgives me for shooting a Fuji, as he should! I still fork out the $$$ for Nikon lenses!! He's extremely knowledgeable, helpful, and has a great sense for this addiction. I told him about our Cafe here, and invited him to stop by any time.

My S5Pro review:
    I like the larger LCD, of course. There's a lot to like about the new model (D200), faster continuous shooting but still not a machine-gunner, dialing in the temp is nice, the wide dynamic range is pretty much the same as the S3Pro, all sorts of extra features which are great for wedding photographers (has to do with flash, etc), but for me....... that pathetic weeny little grip just doesn't cut it. I need a nice beefy grip pushed deep into my palm with fingers resting against the body if I'm to hold onto it in a kayak with wet hands. I shoot mainly with the 70-200VR and a 1.4TC, which totals 6lbs 1.6oz - no lightweight. I sometimes hold and operate the camera with my right hand while slowly paddling into position with my left, and that grip on the S5Pro just doesn't allow for that. Pulls the tendons in my hand severely. We tested, and tested, and tested. Even Bernie hates the grip on that thing, after coming from our well-balanced S3Pro. When holding the S5Pro, I have air between the side of the body and the palm of my hand and that's unacceptable for my purposes. There isn't enough depth for the fingertips which means severe cramping there as well. I do have long fingers but there is too much difference in the two models.
    I wanted to like it, I really did. I liked all the improvements but that grip is a step backwards.

Bernie and I agree - size does matter - especially in the grip! :biggrin:

14. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    The MB-D200 really does make a difference. I can't use my D200 w/o the grip. I'm impressed to hear that the S3 is as good as the S5. Time to check out prices of the S3! haha

15. Zach, I'm limited in camera size because of having to stuff it into a marine Pelican while paddling. They've only just come out with a size to fit the newer larger DSLR cameras. The earlier pelican model would only fit a D100 or smaller.

Adding the extra MB-D200 only beefs up the bottom but doesn't increase the size of the finger-hold area. This is crucial for me because of how/where I shoot. When swinging a camera and hefty lens out over water, one needs to have the firmest grip possible! If I lost the gear into the water, it would be a very long miserable paddle home. :eek:

Bernie's having a problem with back focusing right now with his S5Pro. He's doing tests today to see if it's the camera, him or the lenses.... overall: great camera if you're buying new, not so great if you're upgrading from the previous model. All depends your wants, needs and wishes.

16. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Same thing as I've been saying about the grip on the D200, just doesn't feel good in my hand. The D2x on the other hand.........

17. Interesting topic... I just picked up a used S3 this week and love it. The slow write times, I feel, are over-exaggerated. Sure, if you are shooting motorsports or field sports, it's going to be slow but my guess those people aren't interested in this camera anyway. I personally love the skintones and colors and that is the selling point.

I've been tempted to look at the S5 since getting the S3 and I'm still waiting for Phil at dpreview to hit on it before making a decision. I owned the D200 for a shot period of time and loved the size but felt it was a step backwards from the D70s in terms of auto white balance abilities and abilities to interpret correct colors and skintones.

I would much rather wait 1.5 seconds for a raw file to write to the card instead of fighting with the image for 30 minutes in post, trying to correct white balance and poor colors.

I'm sold! :smile:

18. Sandi, do you think some form of a wrist strap will solve your problem? Just a thought.

19. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

20. Wellll.... I picked up a Gitzo Basalt Explorer (2530 if I recall) for $80.00 off and a Wacom Intuos 6X8 for $419.00 (CDN).

No deals on the Sigma 30/1.4, but it can wait for the fall. Nice reductions on various CF cards as well.

So let's see some photo's, please.